Something that’s helped us this season, Luck!

Pvt. Hudson

Today was a prime example, the first two goals were deflections, they missed a sitter. We’ve had our fair share of luck throughout the season which is something we’ve had very little of since we’ve came back to the top division. I’m not complaining or taking anything away from this season’s fantastic display and performances. Sometimes a little bit of luck is needed and this season we got some and it was just meant to be.

Enjoy your night and the rest of the weekend fellow bears. WATP

Today was a prime example, the first two goals were deflections, they missed a sitter. We’ve had our fair share of luck throughout the season which is something we’ve had very little of since we’ve came back to the top division. I’m not complaining or taking anything away from this season’s fantastic display and performances. Sometimes a little bit of luck is needed and this season we got some and it was just meant to be.

I agree in part.
There is no doubt we’ve had a break or two when another outcome to an individual situation was more likely.
However the same had went against us aplenty in the last two years.
The difference being previous seasons we weren’t good enough to recover from the misfortune and this year we have been.

You make your luck a lot of the time by being in the right place at the right time through knowing what you're doing and hard work.

One of biggest things is we have taken ref decisions out of their hands we generally move the ball faster and make it difficult for the free hits against us we used to get while out first tackle was a yellow

Rarely do we dive in for tackles now we either press high or stand up to the attacker Davis did today and got a booking for it and in fairness it was yellow same scenario that callus mcgregor got yellow for against us

We missed sitters too. All season. Every team does. What we did was to create lots more chances to create sitterd that we didn't miss. Not luck. Fairly simple concept

We hardly had our foot on the pedal and only in second gear until we tried a wee bit

Let’s see, we lost our No 1 Goalie for first 10 games, lost our captain for 2 months, lost 1 center half for the whole season and one for about half the season, two others missed more than 10 games, then we had 2 of our main midfielders out for a third of the season each. We had 5 first team squad players suspended for Cornoavirus breaches for 4-7 games, almost the only players in scotland to be banned at all, and we missed Roofe & JD for about 8-10 games each. Forgive me if i am missing the luck that propelled us to success!

You make your own luck. They did miss two sitters, true, but it was our response that was more notable for me. We went right back up the park and put the game to bed. That's something we've done repeatedly this season, that was missing the previous two.
We changed our game after livi 0-0 game. Take more risks, more reward. You get nothing if you don't put defenders and keepers under pressure.

It's not always luck, simply the law of averages and fatigue on the other team, with a BIT of luck thrown in.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take (as Gretzky once said).

I don't believe luck plays a part in whether you're a winner of not. If you rely on luck you aren't good enough. I prefer to believe that if you're good enough you'll win. If you can't win over 90 minutes that's on you, not the ref or bad luck. If we're good enough we win - no excuses. Poor refs and opponents who try are there every game. We blitzed it this year only because we were good enough. Nothing has changed, sport has always been thus.

We changed our game after livi 0-0 game. Take more risks, more reward. You get nothing if you don't put defenders and keepers under pressure.

It's not always luck, simply the law of averages and fatigue on the other team, with a BIT of luck thrown in.

Great quote that from Gretzky

I heard a variation on that, “Hank Aaron hit more home runs than any other player in baseball. He also struck out more often than any other.”

“It’s funny the more I practice the luckier I get”

Every successful team has luck on the way to success,I've always said that.
We've had enough bad luck over the past 10 years,I think we were due it.

Wow!

25 points clear. I know that your post was well meaning but we also had our fair share of bad luck and could have scored more and conceded less.

First goal was a Tavernier goal, not an OG or anything else. It took a big nick off a defender but, how the fvck was it an keeper OG?

Just cause the BBC says it does not mean it is true.

I get the sentiment, but yer mental :))

Yer kinda replicating the "but their no even that good"

You make your own luck. You need to put yourself in a great position for luck to be able to benefit you in the first place.

Sorry mate, but bullshit. Luck has got nothing to do with this. We are the best footballing side Scotland has seen in decades. The suggestion of luck is mental tbh. Yes, there may have been lucky goals, but it goes 2 ways. I'm actually exasperated at the suggestion.

People remember the 'luck' more when you're successful as a way to play it down.

Where was our luck in having to play our 4th/5th choice centre back and a midfielder at left back? Along with an attacking mid at centre mid.

That was just in today's game but you can think of other things throughout the season. We've had just as many injuries/absences as other teams, we've just coped far better with them.

The only club to receive punishment for COVID breaches while Dubai was blatantly ignored by Celtic’s puppets.

We’ve overcome considerable corruption, luck had nothing to do with it.

Don't agree.Luck may win you a cup...but not the league,not by 25 f*cking points.

As others have said, you make your own luck. Would we be as "lucky" if opponents had better players? Whether it's luck or indicative of the poor quality of opposition we face in the League is immaterial. We won the game with ease...just like most games this season. Luck doesn't win you a league by 25 points, quality does.

tumblr_nyzlox2rhP1rye7joo1_250.gifv

Brother Ferguson doing us a turn. Didn't want to be the guy to blow the goals against record. I saw Gerrard and Madden winking at each other afterwards.

There’s an element of truth to this and that doesn’t remotely take away from how we have performed. Probably more than any sport, football relies on luck to an extent because it’s so low scoring.

But we were due. How many worldies have diddy teams scored against us these past few years of goalies having the game of their lives

Don't agree.Luck may win you a cup...but not the league,not by 25 f*cking points.

But it can win you individual games.

We’ve had a few big deflections abs rebounds go our way. But as I say in another thread, it’s about time.

We’d still have won the league anyway.

Good post mate. We are certainly entitled to enjoy the minute - especially in light of what had happened to us (or rather what was done to us) over the past 10 years. However once the partying ad the celebrations are over, it would be worthwhile to take a step back and analyze the
current squad-its strengths and weaknesses.

Looking at things superficially, we see a team that had just went on a stupendous undefeated run, kept a ridiculous amount of clean sheets, and played a brand of football unmatched by any other team in the SPL. However, it would be a grave error to look at the aforementioned accomplishments and not realize that a huge slice of luck along the way was what made it all possible - luck, plus the brilliance of McGregor.

Yesterday's game for example, a poor Aberdeen side should have scored at least 2 goals, the bheasts as well in the OF game,, as could many other teams during the course of the season, not to realize that we need serious strengthening in the centre back area - Simpson won't do. Likewise, a more physical, assertive, presence in the midfield is very much needed IMO. We need quality in these positions - not journeymen, people who can come straight in and establish themselves. We must not mark time, now is exactly the time to move ahead and make the team even better.

I've not touched upon how many of the current squad might be the subject of substantial transfer bids over the summer - I'll leave that for another post.

I think what the OP is saying is that despite our record breaking defensive record, we do give teams chances to score against us. McGregor and incompetent opposing attackers have meant that they have not taken advantage of that. Gerrard will be looking at that in the summer, I am sure.

I think what the OP is saying is that despite our record breaking defensive record, we do give teams chances to score against us. McGregor and incompetent opposing attackers have meant that they have not taken advantage of that. Gerrard will be looking at that in the summer, I am sure.
That's just football, it's impossible not to give away the odd chance in every game. The reasons it's not luck if because we have a grade A keeper by choice.

We also wear teams down, put pressure on them and that results in chances being missed.

My old Dad told me that in sport, the more you train the luckier you get. I was watching some of the journey videos and Pedro came on, I remember at the time thinking he was unlucky with the sending offs against Hibs and a disallowed goal against Hearts. In hindsight we were just not good. This team aren't lucky they're brilliant.

Wow!

25 points clear. I know that your post was well meaning but we also had our fair share of bad luck and could have scored more and conceded less.

First goal was a Tavernier goal, not an OG or anything else. It took a big nick off a defender but, how the fvck was it an keeper OG?

The BBC is utterly laughable in their habitual attempts to downplay any successes we have.

The build up was all about the records Celtic held which we still had to beat while the game itself was the usual tactic of trying to imply we were in some way fortuitous in our win and really not as good a team as we may believe.

Unbeaten, 25 point winning margin, 102 points on the board in total, 100% home record, a new clean sheet record, just 13 goals conceded all season, but yeah, we were lucky.

Mugs.

For every deflected goal we have scored we will have had a net bound shot deflected away from goal by a defender who has no idea what is going on.

Luck balancing out.

Wow!

The first goal is an OG - the keeper punches it in the net when it's going wide. You really couldn't get any clearer of an OG.o_O

However luck has played no part in us being the dominant team - we were miles better than every other team and even when we were miles off it we toughed it out when we needed to. That is the real mark of champions.

Back