Souness Fancies Rangers Boardroom Role

Wokster

Official Ticketer
From the Record quoting David Tanner -

Former Rangers manager Graeme Souness would be open to an Ibrox return in an "advisory" role.

That's the view of long-time TV commentator David Tanner who hosted an evening with the legendary Scottish football star last month.

It comes after Douglas Park was announced as the club's new interim chairman after the departure of Dave King on Friday evening.

The South African-based businessman concedes he’s leaving Rangers at a time of desperate need in a bid to save his wider business interests amid the Coronavirus pandemic.

And Tanner has mooted Sky Sports regular Souness as a potential long-term successor for King at Ibrox.

He said: "I interviewed Graeme Souness at an event this month.
"When I asked if he’d return to Ibrox, he gave a lot of thought and said he’d fancy an advisory board-type role.

"Would fans like him as chairman?"

Souness is an Ibrox icon after spending five years as player-manager between 1986 and 1991 - winning seven trophies in the process but hasn't been involved at club level since departing Newcastle 14 years ago.

Someone had a thread on him from a night out or something or he was part of it. He was asked if he’d go back to management or football and he said no management but watch this space in regard to Rangers. It was something like that. Maybe the OP of that will see this and correct me. Personally a good move.

Let him put his money in first, and then let’s see, Douglas Park and others have done it for years. There are certain Scottish Companies that we’re Free Loaders, when our Glory Years were there. When the going got tough, they got going, and WE the Diehard Support Stuck by Our Club.

It would be a massive appointment.

Club spokesman and watch them run for cover as he wouldn't miss them.

We all love him but he is a football man not a businessman. What we actually need is our own version of Lawwell on the Rangers board. Pains me to say it.

I don’t think even Michael Gove is as Machiavellian as Lawell , never mind souness . Having said that Souness being back at the club in any capacity would please me massively .

Genuine question.
Can the sfa or spfl block him joining the board? Can't stop him taking an unofficial role but can they not drag their heels with him the way they have Alistair Johnston?

I love Souness to this day and personally would like to see him back at Ibrox in some capacity. Whether that's as chairman who knows. He's got a cracking gig at Sky Sports. Does he need the undoubted grief he'd no doubt get being back at Rangers? Suppose it depends how hands on he would be. Or WANTED to be.

Someone had a thread on him from a night out or something or he was part of it. He was asked if he’d go back to management or football and he said no management but watch this space in regard to Rangers. It was something like that. Maybe the OP of that will see this and correct me. Personally a good move.
I remember that

Would take him back to call all the scum in this country out. He'd definitely not shy away from it

Back