South American Football Matches - Injury Time

TibbsyBear

Have started to notice after a few unexpected coupon wins that a lot of South American matches regularly run into 8, 9, 10 sometimes even 10-15 minutes additional time after the 90

Any particular reason for this?

Is it down to feigned injury or just a different mindset from South American Referees literally stopping play for every minor or major incident?

One match last night was still running at 105 minutes and I’ve noticed a good few over the past few months. Seems to be the only continent where this happens regularly in football. (That I’ve noticed anyway)

If it starts a trend for refs adding on the time wasted rather than the arbitrary 3 minutes I think it will be a good thing.

Not sure I fancy the stop/start clock but the ball is in play for about 60 minutes in some games.

If it starts a trend for refs adding on the time wasted rather than the arbitrary 3 minutes I think it will be a good thing.

Not sure I fancy the stop/start clock but the ball is in play for about 60 minutes in some games.

Seems to be quite regular and just wondering what is happening that’s different to other countries.

In this country they would add time on until the filth score to take the lead , then blow the whistle at 135mins , the headlines would read that the filth never give up & play till the last minute & never draw a game , the opposition would need to be 2 or 3 up in the 90th minute to win & even then clancy would have something up his sleeve

Can't give a definitive answer but when SA leagues use VAR it seems to take an eternity for the ref to make a decision.

Back