• Keep - Starter

Votes: 88 15.1%
  • Keep - Bench / Squad player

Votes: 404 69.3%
  • Sell

Votes: 91 15.6%

• Total voters
First choice CB pairing required.

I can see Souttar and Davies as backup unless we can shift Davies, which is doubtful considering we’ve tried the last two windows.
Souttars wage is probably more aligned with a backup aswell where as Ben Davies is probably one of our top earners or near that bracket at least especially when he joined as a free he will have commanded a decent sign on fee & wage

Gauging opinion on him

Personally imo he is good enough to be a backup but not a consistent starter if we want to win trophies

I’d make signing 2 CBs a priority in the summer
What would you do?
Thi k you are spot on and seems by the poll the majority agree.

Decent enough to fill the gaps and fills a home grown quota requirement. Cant be relied on to play 50+ games at the level we need to start winning trophies again

Reactions: TQ3
He’s the only one I could stomach starting the first league game of the season out the current ones, ideally 3rd choice but depends on shifting Goldson and Davies

Id like to bring in 2 new starters, ideally. But Souttar is a good rotation option and ticks the home grown box. Hes also got experience playing the RCB role in a flat back 3 which is useful if theres occasions we want to change formation.

Id rather not see him play LCB going forward. I always prefer a left footer there for the natural balance.

Keep Souttar. Sell Goldson and Davies. Two new left sided CH and one new right sided CH. If Balogun doesn't mind starting season as 5th choice and on a low wage I'd keep him on another year too. King out on loan.

Back up at absolute most.

Like most of the current defence, he is a liability.

If he was sold I'd also be fine with that.

I'm hoping for at least 3 new starters in defence.

Gauging opinion on him

Personally imo he is good enough to be a backup but not a consistent starter if we want to win trophies

I’d make signing 2 CBs a priority in the summer
What would you do?

We need to maintain a squad of players, simply can’t replace everyone in one window. Souttar is capable enough as part of that squad.

Hes not that good to be honest. Pitty becos i was hoping for mpre from him but in reality hes defo not the answer

He’s not good enough to our starting centre back on a regular basis. Good as a rotational option and UEFA requirement, however if Royal Antwerp are successful in their legal battles with UEFA and the homegrown noose is removed then I reckon he would be lucky to stay.

Our 3rd centre back should be playing at least 20 games, so would be good to keep him. He's clearly a good player, but makes too many mistakes.

There’s not too many of this squad I’d keep.

Souter comes into that category. If we can find a buyer then sell

I quite like him and wonder what a pairing of him and bro Harry could be like. In the rebuild we need this summer we definitely do need defenders, but I think we could be ok with John in there and spend the money on getting our middle to front correct!

Keep him for the squad. Two top centre-halves should be brought in ahead of him though. Move the rest on if doable, but I'm open to retaining Balogun as our fourth choice unless there's a youngster who could stand up and be counted in that role. Yfeko for instance if Clement likes him.

Part of the problem.

Must sign better.

Absolutely right. We need to rid ourselves of this attitude that guys are "ok" or guys who multiple managers haven't seen as first choice players might somehow be better than the guys we have been playing.

If we look at what Gerrard did, he filled the squad with international footballers. Our centre half options for 55 were a better version of Goldson than we have now, Helander, a better version of Balogun than we have now and Jack Simpson. The latter is the only one who who any of current centre half's would displace.

Our striking options were Morelos, Roofe, Defoe, Itten, Stewart. Dessers would probably come after Defoe on that list.

Our main midfield options were a better Jack than we have now, Kamara, Davis, Arfield. None of our current midfielders get close to any of they 4 in ability.

We cannot allow ourselves to continually think guys like Souttar who clearly makes lots of mistakes, hasn't nailed a place down last two seasons and is generally thought of as "OK" can solve our issues by suddenly stepping up as a starter.

Need him for European squads etc. He's not a world beater, but in theory he's about to hit his prime as a footballer.

Obviously, keep him and add to the defence. We can't get shot of everyone.

I was one of the few that was looking forward to him, I thought there’s a player there, even though we signed an injured player from hearts.

I envisaged a big Scottish CB, putting his body in the line of everything and putting his head in front of everything for years to come, how wrong was I.

Not the quality we require, even at backup. When I see his name on the team sheet, I’m not at ease.

Where’s the new Davie Weir??

Centre half is one of those positions you need to be absolutely in tune with your partner.

He deserves a season beside someone like Weir.

I actually really like him and he’s a great guy to keep around. But he always has a howler in him, and he’s not ever going to be fit enough to play a full season. Keep him as backup and let Balogun go (another player who is easily good enough for the team but is too injury prone). For next season we need two solid dependable and fit centre backs as our biggest priority, and we need to play them together in the vast majority of all games. A Davie Weir and a Cueller sort of pair (heck I’d take Marvin Andrew’s!). Even if that takes up 90% of our transfer budget.

We can’t literally sell or get rid of everyone in one summer

A lot of people are going to be very disappointed if they think they won’t see a large chunk of this squad again next season

Souttar for that reason should stay, however we need an upgrade and he should be a squad player

He's just not good enough. He's not alone in that, to be fair. If we could, I would move on from all of Goldson, Souttar, Balogun, Davies and King.

It's such a big overhaul in the summer that I could see him in the same place he was at the start of this season - 3rd choice with the possibility to play his way into the first team. We definitely need a left sided CB, but we also need to buy Diomande, potentially buy Cortes, and then replace Lundstram, Barisic Jack, Roofe and Sima (I don't think we can afford him.) Plus any additions of his own that PC wants to make and dealing with any players that may attract interest (Butland, Sterling, Cantwell)

After all that Souttar is fine for a CB to step in on occasion, and may improve if he plays on the right with a good partner.

I think he's had a fairly decent season and surprisingly largely injury free. He's a good 3rd/4th choice centre half and is Scottish which is good for europe

Absolutely right. We need to rid ourselves of this attitude that guys are "ok" or guys who multiple managers haven't seen as first choice players might somehow be better than the guys we have been playing.

If we look at what Gerrard did, he filled the squad with international footballers. Our centre half options for 55 were a better version of Goldson than we have now, Helander, a better version of Balogun than we have now and Jack Simpson. The latter is the only one who who any of current centre half's would displace.

Our striking options were Morelos, Roofe, Defoe, Itten, Stewart. Dessers would probably come after Defoe on that list.

Our main midfield options were a better Jack than we have now, Kamara, Davis, Arfield. None of our current midfielders get close to any of they 4 in ability.

We cannot allow ourselves to continually think guys like Souttar who clearly makes lots of mistakes, hasn't nailed a place down last two seasons and is generally thought of as "OK" can solve our issues by suddenly stepping up as a starter.

I can see boycotts and shark barrier protests pending next season or dare it say it worse?

People have had enough of our club being mis managed.

Not good nor resilient enough
If we can get a fee then it's an easy sell
Hard to see anyone taking him though
No Scottish club is going to pay him and not sure he has the profile to attract interest from the Championship

Back