Speirs shouting his mouth of about bigotry again.

'Whataboutery' is the basis of our justice system and is practiced daily in the Law Courts. An allegation is made and then countered and cross-examined with opposing evidence. This is the only way to establish context, balance and hopefully arrive at some sense of truth and justice. It can be applied to any debate or argument, legal or otherwise.

'Whataboutery' is applied by media twats like Speirs to simply evade an argument they can't otherwise win. It's the same as the (non) debate about apartheid schooling - mentally challengeds won't even enter into a debate they can't possibly win so simply call out 'sectarianism'.

Completely agree with this and it is the crux of the argument around sectarianism in Scotland. In a liberal democracy that is meant to support and endorse freedom of speech the rules only apply to certain aspects of the Rangers song book that 'allegedly' permanently offends those of the opposite persuasion. The focus back in the day on the 'Billy Boys' was excessive in the extreme whilst their songs and general conduct around for example the Ibrox Disaster and O'rish republican terrorism was and continues to be ignored. Also having a view about separate schooling is automatically discounted as being a bigoted or sectarian opinion. I believe they should have their own schools if they wish them but they should pay for them themselves. I pay my taxes to provide for public services and that means in terms of education Non-denominational schools for the use of all faiths and creeds not for them to insist on separation. Not to mention the sectarian promotion policy concerning RC's only getting the top jobs in those schools whereas they can also get the top jobs in N/D schools.....There really is something wrong with Scottish society and it's 'dying to be noticed journalists' that allows this sort of thing to go unchecked and even unreported. But then again why focus on genuine social issues when there's the Rangers song book to scrutinise.

Back