SPL we have the oldest team in the league

Waltersarmy

Reading we have the oldest squad in the league. Depressing and shows how much of a mess the last 5/6 transfer windows have been. The utter mess Wilson has created will have lasting affects the on our player trading model. He can not be given anymore windows he’s already set us back 2/3 years as that’s how long it will take to fix his mess.

Reading we have the oldest squad in the league. Depressing and shows how much of a mess the last 5/6 transfer windows have been. The utter mess Wilson has created will have lasting affects the on our player trading model. He can not be given anymore windows he’s already set us back 2/3 years as that’s how long it will take to fix his mess.
You read wrong.

Exactly the kind of post that makes you log out of FF these days.

Oh dear OP.

drawing-board-back-to-the-drawing-board.gif

Aye.Right.

We’re not even top 3 for the highest average squad age in the league.

Don't have the stats for it but when you look at the core of our team, it's pretty old.

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Jack, Arfield, McLaughlin - they're all 30+, then after that you've got guys like Colak, Roofe, Lundstram who are late 20s.

Take
Shagger, Davis and Arfield out and it will be not far from the youngest team

Don't have the stats for it but when you look at the core of our team, it's pretty old.

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Davis, Jack, Arfield, McLaughlin - they're all 30+, then after that you've got guys like Colak, Roofe, Lundstram who are late 20s.
Once mcgregor, Davis Arfield and possibly McLaughlin retire at the end of this season we will have one of the youngest squads in Scotland

It’s skewered because of those players

Take

Shagger, Davis and Arfield out and it will be not far from the youngest team
Borna, tav, goldson, jack are they not 30s also. I’m not sure we actually have a 1st pick who is under 25 at the moment, if all the squad was fit.

We do have a few youngsters who get the odd run out but almost all our team is 25 plus

Once mcgregor, Davis Arfield and possibly McLaughlin retire at the end of this season we will have one of the youngest squads in Scotland

It’s skewered because of those players

Knowing us we'd go and sign 41 year old Craig Gordon.

International breaks always bring out the whining and moaning about everything and anything, but in the past it used to be if we had a bad result and them a good one just before.

Now it’s them who lost, us who won to cut the gap to 2 points, and this break has been worse than ever.

I love how people on here just randomly pluck these "set us back x number of years" figures from absolutely nowhere.

If he's set us back 2/3 years (you don't even seem to know which) and we're less than 6 months from having appeared in the Europa League final and currently in the Champions League group stages, please tell us:

Where exactly did you think we were going to be 2/3 years ago, given you believe we are further back from where we should be?

What does age matter?
Given that ninety percent of Rangers fans care almost exclusively about the current season and, this is only because it’s gets you where you are in the current season, the previous one.
More kids coming through and a younger team would be nice but…

What does age matter?
Given that ninety percent of Rangers fans care almost exclusively about the current season and, this is only because it’s gets you where you are in the current season, the previous one.
Come on mate, you've been on here long enough.

We all know that a players' skills and pace decline by at least 50% on the occasion of their 30th birthday.

It doesn't matter how well they've looked after themselves, 30 is the end according to FF.

What does age matter?

Biology.

In the average athlete their athletic ability peaks when they are 26 because of biology.

Younger teams are able to play to a higher intensity for longer.

I love how people on here just randomly pluck these "set us back x number of years" figures from absolutely nowhere.

If he's set us back 2/3 years (you don't even seem to know which) and we're less than 6 months from having appeared in the Europa League final and currently in the Champions League group stages, please tell us:

Where exactly did you think we were going to be 2/3 years ago, given you believe we are further back from where we should be?
Will take him 2/3 yrs to shift the crap he’s signed. Can slate me all you want it won’t change the age of the players.

McGregor 40 odd
Mcglaughlin 35
tav 30+
goldson 29
Sands 22(on loan)
Davies 27
borna 29
Lundstrum 26 ,
Davis 37 ,
jack 29,
Arfield 33
Lawerence 28
Tillman 20(on loan)
Roofe 29
Colak 29
Morelos 26 (8months left on deal)
Kent 25 (8 months left on deal)

That’s the backbone of our team. My point was where is the player trading model coming from that.

That’s grim reading and if the puff pieces coming from the board about money falling from the sky is anything to go bye then it’s 2/3 years to fix.

Come on mate, you've been on here long enough.

We all know that a players' skills and pace decline by at least 50% on the occasion of their 30th birthday.

It doesn't matter how well they've looked after themselves, 30 is the end according to FF.
Yet we could name almost a team of great players for us who were actually great in their thirties!
Jardine, Gough, Weir, Greig, Davis, Souness, Wilkins, McCoist, Defoe…

Will take him 2/3 yrs to shift the crap he’s signed. Can slate me all you want it won’t change the age of the players.

McGregor 40 odd
Mcglaughlin 35
tav 30+
goldson 29
Sands 22(on loan)
Davies 27
borna 29
Lundstrum 26 ,
Davis 37 ,
jack 29,
Arfield 33
Lawerence 28
Tillman 20(on loan)
Roofe 29
Colak 29
Morelos 26 (8months left on deal)
Kent 25 (8 months left on deal)

That’s the backbone of our team. My point was where is the player trading model coming from that.

That’s grim reading and if the puff pieces coming from the board about money falling from the sky is anything to go bye then it’s 2/3 years to fix.
Are you really doubling down on this, even though it's already been shown to be utter bollocks?

Again I'll ask, this time from a player trading point of view:

Where did you see us 2/3 years ago that means we're now further behind, given that our player trading model has just yielded the biggest transfer fee in our history?

Yet we could name almost a team of great players for us who were actually great in their thirties!
The Jermain Defoe signing thread will live long in the memory for such lunacy.

True, but that doesn't mean you'd play them all in the same side.

Are you really doubling down on this, even though it's already been shown to be utter bollocks?

Again I'll ask, this time from a player trading point of view:

Where did you see us 2/3 years ago that means we're now further behind, given that our player trading model has just yielded the biggest transfer fee in our history?
Why you talking about 2/3 years ago……when I’m inferring about the next 2/3 years it will take Wilson to rebalance a clearly ageing squad.

That to me is setting us back when we should have been pushing on. We have differing opinions on the matter that’s fine it’s a forum relax. If I’m wrong great means good news going forward.

How old was the Real Madrid midfield that won the champions league last season?

When I see threads like this it always reminds me that the most successful teams in Europe have all had very much the same squad over a good few years. Not much changes unless someone goes.

Man City, Liverpool, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Bayern etc

You look at their start 11s over the last few years and the backbone is still the same.

As Michael Beale said during the summer, the reason we managed to make a European Final is because the squad was kept together and experienced 2/3 years in Europe together. I understand people want squads' to be freshened up regularly but the most successful teams in their respective leagues have had the same 'main' 15/16 players for the last 4/5/6 years.

Why you talking about 2/3 years ago……when I’m inferring about the next 2/3 years it will take Wilson to rebalance a clearly ageing squad.

That to me is setting us back when we should have been pushing on. We have differing opinions on the matter that’s fine it’s a forum relax. If I’m wrong great means good news going forward.
You're saying emphatically that we have been set back by 2/3 years.
So obviously you must have had an idea in your mind 2/3 years ago where we'd be today and we haven't met that.

Either that, or you can see the future and know that by 2025 we won't be any better off than we are today.

Back