Sports direct

goldson bollocks

Saw the Sun reporting that we've lost the court case V SD and saying we could potentially owe them millions? Not seen it reported anywhere else. Obviously not wanting to share the article, anyone else heard anything on this and what it could mean for us?

Any idea what its likely to cost us?

The gist of what I can see is SD have argued to see the Castore deal to ascertain what they have lost out on by us breaking the deal. We wouldn't be comparing apples with apples though but in legal terms I don't think items like a fan boycott and fat Mike being toxic matter. SD will use the castore deal as a bench mark for losses claim

The gist of what I can see is SD have argued to see the Castore deal to ascertain what they have lost out on by us breaking the deal. We wouldn't be comparing apples with apples though but in legal terms I don't think items like a fan boycott and fat Mike being toxic matter. SD will use the castore deal as a bench mark for losses claim
That could be a wedge then. Not a great look for the board or legal team

RANGERS have lost their legal battle with Sports Direct over the disclosure of documents relating to the club's deal with Castore and could be forced into a multi-million pound pay-out.

A company in the Sports Direct Group, SDI Retail Services (SDIR), is suing the Ibrox club for damages after successfully claiming Gers had breached an agreement with the sportswear firm over merchandise rights.

The sportswear firm owned by Mike Ashley (who will step down in May next year) took Rangers to court to claim for losses arising from the club's kit deal with Hummel, struck in 2018, but their most recent deal with Castore also factors in when calculating the final cost of the damages.

This latest development will reveal how much money Rangers and Castore made and therefore how much Sports Direct would have had Gers complied with their contract, with a trial date in June.

As a result, the retail firm could be entitled to several million pounds worth of damages.

Mr Sa'ad Hossain QC argued on behalf of SDIR that details of the Castore deal should be disclosed as part of a bid to determine potential damages.

In court documents seen by SunSport, Mr Hossain submitted: "Castore has been the exclusive manufacturer and wholesale supplier of Rangers Replica Kit and clothing Branded Products for the 2020-2021 season. It has also exclusively operated the Rangers Megastore and an official online store, where it has retailed Replica Kit and other Branded Products and acted as wholesaler and supplier of Replica Kit and clothing Branded Products to retailers (including Sports Direct). Castore's agreement is of the same or similar kind common to both Elite/Hummel's position and to SDIR's counterfactual scenario.

"Castore's sales revenues are the primary source of actual data from which the level of SDIR's counterfactual sales in the 2020-2021 season, and sales made in the 2019-2020 season that relate to the launch of the 2020-2021 season's kit, can be analysed. It is therefore invaluable and irreplaceable to have sales figures that reflect the particular season in respect of which damages are to be quantified.

"Castore's sales revenues will also be an important comparable for the earlier 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. This is because the Elite/Hummel sales data for those seasons is affected by the inhibiting influence of the injunctions which had been ordered by the Court in respect of the Elite/Hummel Agreement and the September 2018 Agreements during those seasons. After Rangers contracted with Castore in around March 2020 and Castore commenced in its role in August 2020, Replica Kit and other products have been sold without injunctive restraint, and those sales will therefore provide the best (or amongst the best) guidance as to sales in the counterfactual world where SDIR had entered into similar arrangements that were similarly capable of being performed without restraint.

"The Castore Documents are not just relevant, they are likely to be central to any assessment of damages and therefore are necessary for the just disposal of the proceedings. It is reasonable and proportionate to order their disclosure. Any disclosure order would be in respect of a narrow class of documents: one agreement and five Quarterly Statements for each of the three Offered Rights (with any information or documents accompanying them)."

Mr Akhil Shah QC (who appeared with Mr Max Kasriel), on behalf of Rangers, argued that disclosure of the documents was "unnecessary", and that it would "complicate and add cost to the experts' stage of the litigation".

He added: "Since, as Rangers contends, Castore's rights were considerably broader than those rights SDIR claims it would have had in the 2020-2021 season, if Castore's sales information is disclosed in these proceedings it is likely that the parties' experts would have to undertake additional and potentially complicated, ie costly, analysis in order to determine what elements of Castore's sales in the 2020-2021 season relate to rights that SDIR alleges it would have had in that season. The work of the experts becomes even more complicated and convoluted."

Judge Peter MacDonald Eggers QC ruled in favour of Sports Direct, paving the way for the details of the deal to be made public.

He said: "I allow SDIR's application for an order under paragraph 18 of CPR PD51U for the disclosure of the Castore Agreement, as well as the Castore Quarterly Statements (to include documents containing the accompanying information within the meaning discussed above) for the 2020-2021 season, but not the Quarterly Statement for the first quarter of the 2021-2022 season.

"In my judgement, an order for specific disclosure within the meaning of the second sentence of paragraph 18.1 of CPR PD51U is justified given that the documents sought are specifically identified or fall within a narrow compass and relate to Issues for Disclosure, even if they do not fall within the date range within the Court's order for Extended Disclosure dated 16th February 2021. Insofar as it is relevant, I would alternatively have been prepared to make an order varying the Court's order for Extended Disclosure to embrace these documents.

"I am very grateful to both counsel for their helpful submissions."

In July 2019, judge Lionel Persey said Rangers had breached a legal agreement and allowed a Sports Direct subsidiary to make an offer for the club's merchandising, including replica kits.

He ruled Mr Ashley's business should've been given the opportunity to match a shirt deal reached with football merchandising firm Elite and the Danish firm Hummel, believed to be worth £10m.

The company won another round of the ongoing kit wrangle in February this year when Mr Persey ruled that the club had to reveal files linked to former Rangers bosses Dave King and Paul Murray.

The chat, mostly amongst the great unwashed, is that it'll be £10 million damages at the very least.

I've no idea what the figure may be, but I'd certainly hope it's nowhere near as high as that.

Saw the Sun reporting that we've lost the court case V SD and saying we could potentially owe them millions? Not seen it reported anywhere else. Obviously not wanting to share the article, anyone else heard anything on this and what it could mean for us?
We lost the case a while ago. The current legal argument is about what it’s going to cost us in compensation to SDI.

Right, a question from a complete non expert. Didn't SD reject opportunity to match deal? How can they now come back later and claim they would have liked to have done so after all? I simply don't get it.

IF this works out badly then we need to choose nuclear option and have no merch deal ...make our own shirts in-house. We can't keep being stuck with the fat c*** for eternity.

I also hope the spivs who signed deal die a horribly slow death related to severe constipation and passing of a bowling ball size object.

Right, a question from a complete non expert. Didn't SD reject opportunity to match deal? How can they now come back later and claim they would have liked to have done so after all? I simply don't get it.

IF this works out badly then we need to choose nuclear option and have no merch deal ...make our own shirts in-house. We can't keep being stuck with the fat c*** for eternity.

I also hope the spivs who signed deal die a horribly slow death related to severe constipation and passing of a bowling ball size object.
The Court found a long time ago that we had tried (understandably) to screw over SDI when we signed the deal with Elite/Hummel. Case lost.

Currently they are debating just how much that is going to cost us in compensation. SDI are seeking to establish how much we made in sales from both the Elite/Hummel deal AND the Castore deal so that they can argue they would have had sales as healthy as we did with Elite and then Castore (whichever is the higher).

But elite / Hummel didn't pay us anything....they owe us £3.2m

Also we wouldn't have bought same amount of kit if it was SDI

Judge Peter MacDonald Eggers QC ruled in favour of Sports Direct, paving the way for the details of the deal to be made public.

Looks like the details of the Castore deal will be made public.

We will likely find out how much money from each shirt sale actually goes to Rangers and how much goes to Castore.

This latest development will reveal how much money Rangers and Castore made and therefore how much Sports Direct would have had Gers complied with their contract, with a trial date in June.

Is that right, aye?

Is that right, aye?
This is also complete scaremongering- Rangers showed how poorly the deal with SD did. There’s absolutely no way Castore and/or Elite made will be found to equate with what they would have made. That’s already been considered.

Any idea what its likely to cost us?
It's tied into shirt sales, their amounts, and the profits made from selling them.

SD would have expected to make a certain level of profit from the merchandising contracts that were in place. When we (rightly) booted them out, and went with Hummel, they (obviously) lost access to that cash / profit.

A judge, previously said they would be awarded damages for breach of contract on our part, running into 'many millions of pounds'.

SD now want to see all our sales records for the Hummel deal and Castore deal, to calculate how much profit they lost out on. They will then, likely ask the court for recompense plus damages.

They might not get it (or everything they ask for) but it's pretty certain they'll try their luck anyway.

Last edited:
Why would that clause not apply?

Genuinely curious btw - just cause it seems to be relevant for this exact type of scenario.

Given who is involved, I'll err on the side of caution and say not much more.

However, if it was as 'little' as £1 million, would we have just not paid it?
How much has been spent on legal fees?
And are things ever as simple as they seem with SD?

I know people keep posting there is a cap of £1 million... but, I'd suggest if £1 million could've made this all go away, we wouldn't still be talking about this.

This is how he always wins. Just constant litigation. Counter claim after counter claim. Horrible parasite that he is.

There must be some way to prove that the fans had zero intention of buying strips én-masse under any new SD deal. Surely the numbers from the previous deal would bear that out.

An I being stupid.

Can’t compare the 2 with what Castore and us made bs what we would make with SD

The uptake would be miniscule if it were with SD

Hardly comparable

Damages are capped at 1m in the documents. We also have a counter claim in.
Given who is involved, I'll err on the side of caution and say not much more.

However, if it was as 'little' as £1 million, would we have just not paid it?
How much has been spent on legal fees?
And are things ever as simple as they seem with SD?

I know people keep posting there is a cap of £1 million... but, I'd suggest if £1 million could've made this all go away, we wouldn't still be talking about this.
On that mate I think I’d disagree. Simply because where the million pound cap has came up it hasn’t been contested and in fact the judge said given it is 1 million monetary reward wouldn’t be enough to remedy Sports Direct. I’m not sure what additionally could be offered if not monetary and that for me is the unknown. I’m not a lawyer though so we’ll see.

All you need to know about this is that mad mental ill phil has wanted himself into oblivion and is on the very of turning into James Forrest and penning 47 blogs a day on this one subject.

Clearly not great news for the club, but let’s leave the legal beagles to deal with it and hope they drive costs down to a minimum.

I’ve read a few times there’s a £1m cap on damages, that may be so, but in the event it’s not true, we may be looking at a fair old scudding in the wallet to this rotund parasitic bastard.

Back