Spurs fan group critical of season ticket prices at new ground

mdingwall

Administrator
http://fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/Spurs-fan-group-critical-of-season-ticket-prices-at-new-ground

Spurs fan group critical of season ticket prices at new ground
13th March 2018
croppedimage613299-New-White-Hart-Lane-Photo-Tottenham-Hotspur-FC.png

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust (THST) has criticised the club over its pricing of season tickets at the New White Hart Lane Stadium.

The club is due to take up residence at the new ground at the start of next season and season ticket renewals were announced yesterday – with prices ranging from £795 to £2,200, some of the most expensive in English football. A petition urging the club to rethink its pricing strategy had passed 3,500 signatures at the time of writing.

THST said: “Some fans are facing increases of 25, 40 or 50% in their usual seating areas which, even taking into account the improved facilities, will be beyond many.

“The vast majority of fans go to football for the football, not for the facilities.”

The Trust has examined the amount of season tickets available at each band and says only nine sections of the new 60,000-seater ground will have season tickets available below £950 – they have asked the club to confirm the exact number of seats available in the lower price bands but have yet to receive an answer.

“Many fans are now having to reconsider their seating options, scattering groups who’ve long sat together,” the Trust said.

“There are 15 different price points, an overly complex system that allows attractive headline claims to be made but which mask the price rises many will now face.

“Fans are genuinely worried about the availability of tickets at prices they can afford in the later priority windows.”

BBC presenter and former-Spurs striker Gary Lineker also spoke out about season ticket pricing at the new ground.

“We’re seeing more and more empty seats at grounds,” he tweeted earlier today. “Given the vast sums received from TV rights, ticket prices should be falling not rising.

“The game needs full stadiums otherwise its appeal will slowly decline, even to rights holders. Avarice will only damage the game and clubs.”

The atmosphere generated by the 17,000-seater south stand, which the club has marketed heavily, is also at risk because of the pricing, THST say.

“The club believes it will fill the stadium with this pricing policy,” THST said.

“That may well be the case in our first season with a successful, entertaining team but the novelty may wear off after the first season, particularly if performance on the pitch falls short.

“With fans already contacting us saying they are priced out, we cannot view this as anything other than a missed opportunity.”

Photograph via Tottenham Hotspur FC.

Think there will be more cases of fans voting with their feet in the coming years down south. A 50% increase to watch a team that have won nothing in years is madness.

Most of the facilities in modern stadiums which the fans need to pay for in increased ticket costs are there just to rinse more money from them anyway.

Mental money.

Bayern offer season tickets for not much more than £100 (albiet in limited numbers)
They said that they can absorb the cost of the tickets more than fans can due to the other money they bring in

the season ticket money for English teams is pocket money. and if they're not careful they'll permenantly be playing to half empty grounds in a generation as fans will be used to watching it on tv instead

Bayern offer season tickets for not much more than £100 (albiet in limited numbers)
They said that they can absorb the cost of the tickets more than fans can due to the other money they bring in

the season ticket money for English teams is pocket money. and if they're not careful they'll permenantly be playing to half empty grounds in a generation as fans will be used to watching it on tv instead

Pocket money. I'm hazarding a guess but I reckon it's around sixty million a year. That's not pocket money.

I don't see how owners can justify such rises with the excessive amount of money they get for tv rights

The fuckers should be reducing prices to reward the fans

I don't see how owners can justify such rises with the excessive amount of money they get for tv rights

Was going to post along similar lines. A tv worth almost £5b IIRC. Owners should be showing good faith and making tickets affordable to the ordinary working class fan instead of pricing them out for tourists etc.

Wasn’t there a story from someone from Bayern that went along the lines of “we could raise prices and bring in a few million extra which in reality is nothing for a club like us but an increase of €100-200 could be massive for our fans”

Crazy prices. Albeit not on the same scale, but there's a proportion of fans of our own club who seem to want an every season increase on our own ST's.

Most clubs in the EPL couldn't give a %^*& about the normal supporter, they want the tourists that spend a fortune in the shop etc.

The average guy that turns up every weekend be it home or away, the type of people that made these clubs what they are, are of no interest to them now.

Sky could come and tell clubs they want them to play their games at 6 in the morning as it would be better for people watching it in China and they'd do it without a second thought to their fans.

The new ground is going to end up costing almost £1bn. Yes, £1bn.

Most Spurs fans I know knew there would be rises to account for this and are pretty pragmatic about it.

ST's and match tickets will be like gold dust.

The bubble wont burst yet.

However you have to wonder if anyone has asked at EPL boardroom level if it’s a good idea to be over-reliant on subscription TV money and risk pricing the ordinary man out of the game at a time when that same ordinary man can:

A-Choose not to pay the ticket money

and critically,

B-Not only watch the game but do so on a device where he doesn’t have to fucking pay for it.

They remind me of the Championship chairmen signing an eye popping deal with ITV Digital and signing players for 10 million quid when I was getting a chipped card for a fiver out the barras.

The EPL is just a tourist attraction now with the real working class supporters being priced out. When a goal is scored people get their phone out and take photos rather than celebrate the goal the team they "support" have just scored.

Most clubs in the EPL couldn't give a %^*& about the normal supporter, they want the tourists that spend a fortune in the shop etc.

The average guy that turns up every weekend be it home or away, the type of people that made these clubs what they are, are of no interest to them now.

Sky could come and tell clubs they want them to play their games at 6 in the morning as it would be better for people watching it in China and they'd do it without a second thought to their fans.

Think it's around 40k season tickets in a 60k ground. They like to leave plenty room for tourists paying big bucks.

In this particular instance they will justify it because the stadium cost is going to be almost £1bn.

Yes they take in millions through tv money, sponsorship etc. But even this cost is significant and has to be contributed to somehow in the early years.

New stadium, huge cost. A rise in prices is a necessary evil i'm afraid and the Spurs fans I know view it like this

However you have to wonder if anyone has asked at EPL boardroom level if it’s a good idea to be over-reliant on subscription TV money and risk pricing the ordinary man out of the game at a time when that same ordinary man can:

and critically,

B-Not only watch the game but do so on a device where he doesn’t have to fucking pay for it.

They remind me of the Championship chairmen signing an eye popping deal with ITV Digital and signing players for 10 million quid when I was getting a chipped card for a fiver out the barras.

Seem to recall it was "Uncle Rupert" who was supplying those chipped cards ... allegedly.

and critically,

The vast majority of it comes from the Far East & China, UK subscriptions account to a very small % of the TV income. Sky make money selling it to partners, no way they can cover the £10 million per game for Sky Sport subscribers when their Sky Sports subscriptions covers around £60 million a month.

The next TV deal will be worth over £10 billion to the EPL. It's not going to change regardless of what punters in the UK do.

The vast majority of it comes from the Far East & China, UK subscriptions account to a very small % of the TV income. Sky make money selling it to partners, no way they can cover the £10 million per game for Sky Sport subscribers when their Sky Sports subscriptions covers around £60 million a month.

The next TV deal will be worth over £10 billion to the EPL. It's not going to change regardless of what punters in the UK do.

You’re not saying that equipment to stream subscription TV without payment is not going to be readily available in the Far East are you? :D

Fair enough if as a consumer they are charged more reasonable rates but the money paid for rights wouldn’t indicate that.....

Clubs, players and agents are raping the EPL moneypit for all they can get. As usual, its the ordinary fans being done over. It is utterly shameless.

That brings back memories of queuing on a Saturday morning to get the chip updated by the wee guy with the laptop.

On the way back home on the train on Saturday I listened to a Spurs fan on 606 complaining about the increased prices. I am assuming that he has a hospitality seat however, because he said that he had been told by the club that if he wanted the same seat at the new stadium it would cost him £10k. The same guy also said that at a recent a club presentation people were being advised that if they wanted a seat around the halfway line it would cost them between £20-£30k. I know there are more than a few very wealthy Spurs fans but I thought that those prices (if accurate) are absolutely ridiculous.

The greed in the game today is obcene players and their agents are just ripping it out of the fans and there doesn't seem to be any end to it.

Back