Squad building v squad togetherness and time together

Wes has been hawked about like a stolen watch in a pub mate. Loans or buttons were offered.

Unfortunately scouts watch the same games we do and they know the club and fans are desperate to get rid.

I'm never one to talk down our players (I reckon we could get money for Windass and Morelos) but I genuinely can't think why anyone would buy Wes, if they've watched him.

But surely you must agree Earl that you can't just buy a whole team of 22 or 23 year olds?

We'll easily get another couple of years out of McGregor and longer out of Arfield.

It has to be a gradual process.

Yes but that's not what others on thread are saying. I don't see this summer as building for the future at all. Opinions / arseholes (and I do mean me!!) :)

I'm never one to talk down our players (I reckon we could get money for Windass and Morelos) but I genuinely can't think why anyone would buy Wes, if they've watched him.

He'll end out on loan, can feel it. We'll end up loaning out Cardoso as well and be lumbered with others we felt were worth cash but in reality, aren't up to it.

Was Wes that bad?! I know I'm maybe wearing blue tinted specs but I am surprised he's basically seen as 'shit' in football circles.

I honestly though we could sell him for 500k to up to a mill.
Windass (if on form) 2.5m maybe 3 if lucky.
Candieas 1.5M
Morelos ??
Tavernier 3.5M

Don’t know if they are fantasy or too little but that is what I would be looking for. Morelos is a tough one to put a value on.

I am not having a pop at you mate. It’s just many felt a sense of relief that we were having a go. I don’t think many though we were after stupid names.
When we got linked to Lucas and the likes Doc quickly told us it was bullshit.
However many though we would have an increased budget for players from last season and our scouting would be looking for some unpolished gems from abroad (the big Croat was a good start). Many ITK posters were hinting that we would be getting some of Liverpool’s best youngsters like Wilson and Solanke.

Now these posters have disappeared or are saying SG is here 4 years and we are playing it long term.

I think posters just get fed up with the fighting talk of Rangers and the propaganda that the club is leaking to posters like yourself and then the reality of how things turns out totally different.

I still cling on to the ideal that SG wouldn’t come to Rangers to challenge Celtic with less than 8 mill to spend and 4 or 5 kids on loan.
I hope we sign another good CH, Creative Mid and a striker who are the core of our team for a few years but I admit I am getting concerned.

Please don't put me in the Lucas, Torres, Skrtel camp and the likes mate.

I was never talking about these sort of players.

I stick to my guns though that the fans will be happy with the signings we've made and the style of play, come September.

I stick to my guns though that the fans will be happy with the signings we've made and the style of play, come September.

When it's too late*

* I am being ironic but that IS what you will hear. You know it as well as I do.

I honestly though we could sell him for 500k to up to a mill.
Windass (if on form) 2.5m maybe 3 if lucky.
Candieas 1.5M
Morelos ??
Tavernier 3.5M

Don’t know if they are fantasy or too little but that is what I would be looking for. Morelos is a tough one to put a value on.

Think 1.5 mill for Candeias is ambitious mate.

He's turning 30 shortly.

I am not saying you were with those ones, you weren’t daft enough to name names:)
Doc very quickly burst that bubble when he told us these links were total bullshit.

I hope you are correct. Defence looks better but still to be tested.

As for style of play what SG has said I agree with.

However in the games so far 7 of the same team from last year just gave us the same poor performance of last.
This is why so many are desperate for at least 3 more players of first team level are signed.

SG as manager or not he will never be able to make us compete with Celtic having to play so many of last years team.

I think we are already stronger than last season Earl.

Our keeper, central defenders, Flanagan and Arfield are upgrades on what we had last season.

Gerrard has, correctly in my opinion, bought both for the future and some experienced Bosmans.

Yes, we've supplemented them with loan signings, but that is the right thing to do, as we can't buy everyone required in one window.

I think what had happened up to maybe 2 weeks ago we were all happy with MU.
However, I think this was based upon an expectation of a few ( CD cover, quality midfielder, goal scorer at least ) quality players coming in from that point. This is my general take as well as probably my individual opinion.

The club should be proactive in this regard. Windass we might be able to get say £2.5m for. Morelos god knows what he'd fetch on current form.

Two expendable players that we could get better replacements by selling.

Better replacements like who? Realistically of course...

When it's too late*

* I am being ironic but that IS what you will hear. You know it as well as I do.

It depends who I'm hearing it from whether it bothers me or not Earl.

If it's from the "Cumdog" brigade well it's irrelevant.

Pretty sure the majority of reasonable supporters will stay behind the team if there's genuine improvement and the stupid losses and draws are cut out.

If we do that, we'll be in a title race.

I am not saying you were with those ones, you weren’t daft enough to name names:)
Doc very quickly burst that bubble when he told us these links were total bullshit.

I hope you are correct. Defence looks better but still to be tested.

As for style of play what SG has said I agree with.

However in the games so far 7 of the same team from last year just gave us the same poor performance of last.
This is why so many are desperate for at least 3 more players of first team level are signed.

SG as manager or not he will never be able to make us compete with Celtic having to play so many of last years team.

How many of last year's team do you see starting regularly mate?

Even if we didn’t sign another player,we both know we will, I can only see Tav from last year's defence, pretty confident Coulibaly and Arfield will be 2 out of the 3 in midfield.

That leaves the front 3.

No way Windass, Murphy and Morelos will all be starting each week.

1 of them will be a regular, if you're lucky I guess.

That's only 3 or 4 out of last seaon's 11.

That's the scouting teams issue. FWIW, I think Kent in time will take over from Windass.

There's an argument for Lafferty to be a signing target, no matter what some will say. He at least can do the basics.

If we could swap him & Walkace that could be useful to have another striker in our pool. He can be a very good finisher & is used to leadingin a system similar to our expected system.

I think what is frustrating people is the lack of bodies out, the hints of 'exciting summer that fans will love', the same faces being trusted again, and the apprehension of season almost upon us and the '2 or 3 more' not really appearing yet.

Agree with Uncle Albert though...we clearly hoped for millions IN and no bids have arrived for anyone. I am certain that is a spanner in the works.

I think reasonable progress has been made Earl. If Hodson is confirmed & Halkiday & Cardoso follow him that would be very good in terms of dead wood imo.
Of the potential sales, it has been disappointing. I would be happy if we could get a few million for Wes & Windass, however Alberts post sounds concerning in that respect.

He'll end out on loan, can feel it. We'll end up loaning out Cardoso as well and be lumbered with others we felt were worth cash but in reality, aren't up to it.

I agree. It also calls into question the rush to give him, and others, new contracts. There's clearly not a stampede of buyers for these players.

FFs Give the Manager and the team he is putting together a chance. They have been together for about 7 weeks pre-season. Played teams who have had competitive game time before they played the team in the Euros. The Manager has acknowledged they are misfiring upfront,but believes the forward will start to understand his philosophy, gel and score many goals. He know he needs a couple of key positions before the start of the season and is working hard with MA to achieve that goal. DK and the rest of the board have once again put their hands into "Their Own Pockets" again after giving the Clown £10m last year with little return.(Yip I am aware the fans have supported financially through record ST sales)
I am far more confident that this season will be more successful in defense than last season for starters, we hemorrhaged goals week on week.
We we're the leagues highest goals scorers with more or less the same forward players as last year. If you are going to give criticism for the lack of "Big Names",then we honestly don't have the finance to achieve that type of player this season.
I think SG will get the team firing for the time we visit the sheep.
If he decides that Windas and Morelos are not what we need or they are not showing the attitude he demands,they will be sold . That could free up at the very least £10m (£5m each or thereabouts.) The EPL transfer window shuts on the 31st August, I am sure SG and MA would have a Two or Three players in-mind,if and when that cash is available.
100% Full support from me this season, even when we are having a rough patch. Otherwise we will be having the same conversations this time next year, with another management team and new squad if we fail to get behind this Team this season.
Keep the Faith.
WATP.

This is Robertson’s job to get them out. We have either given players away for free or on loan.
They should be able to sell these players unless they want really silly money.

I am more concerned how this lack of funds will affect SG. We simply cannot afford to waste this chance with him as manager.

Tavernier & Foderingham are now entering their 4th season with us, it says a lot that they've never been the subject of a bid to take them elsewhere in all that time.

There's got to be a reason for that surely..........

We've got rid of most of the dross, which is a good thing, don't know why Cardoso is still here, I take it nobody is willing to match his wages (is he on £15K a week? can't remember), and he is digging in his heels like Hodson and not leaving for nothing.

Apart from Goldson I don't know whether any of SG's signings are up to much, time will tell. You've got to think though that no matter what we are in better shape than we were with Pedro or Murty.

You cannot possibly buy a whole new team in one window .

Permanent signings supplemented with loan signings that improve the squad is the way we have to go.
You can possibly but the impact of such would be either an investment vehicle funding it or an acceptance that you’re increasing the use of soft loans. With repayment in equity or repayment at 0% from future income.

not saying I agree with that approach but I’m sure there has been some debate as to the level of funding needed to stop 10iar and accessing the champions league money ourselves vs income levels.

I couldn’t care less about Europe tbh when thinking of the bigger picture of attaining 55 asap!!!

You can possibly but the impact of such would be either an investment vehicle funding it or an acceptance that you’re increasing the use of soft loans. With repayment in equity or repayment at 0% from future income.

not saying I agree with that approach but I’m sure there has been some debate as to the level of funding needed to stop 10iar and accessing the champions league money ourselves vs income levels.

I couldn’t care less about Europe tbh when thinking of the bigger picture of attaining 55 asap!!!

There’s actually a decent amount of cash about if we could, however unlikely it is, make the Europa League now WATP. I think I saw around 8m.
Relating that to your point on 55, it would allow us more cash to spend, as well as making us more attractive to players who don’t know the club as well as they should.

Back