Squad rotation

Claudio Caniggia

Official Ticketer
Why does Gerrard not know the best 2 centrehalfs or our best 3 in midfield?

Perhaps if we had consistency we wouldn’t be dropping points against fucking Dundee!

There is no logic to it.....none.
If he feels that players cant play every game, why are Tav and Goldson exempt?

It’s hard to think of our best 3 in midfield cause they are all bang average.
Wasn’t the defence that cost us the points, despite not being too clever at the goal.
In midfield, Arfield is our best player and we definitely missed him, especially considering how the opponents set out tactically.
He’s the one who can come from deep into the spaces.
The others are much of a muchness with none of them a standout or so far behind anybody else.

Was Arfield suspended for yesterday? I thought it was only Aberdeen that he was going to miss.

Cheers, thought it was just one match he was missing.

Unfortunately not, I think if we manage to keep the spine for every game (Arfield, Morelos are two parts of what I would call our spine) we would win games like the last two.

Its not a big suprise that we will struggle if we continue missing key players through suspension.

There is logic to it.

It does baffle me slightly how much he does it though given how anti he seemed to be against Benitez when he would manage and rotate a squad, it was apparently one of their biggest irks when they worked together.

Unfortunately not, I think if we manage to keep the spine for every game (Arfield, Morelos are two parts of what I would call our spine) we would win games like the last two.

Its not a big suprise that we will struggle if we continue missing key players through suspension.

Yep, I've said before that Arfield is the only midfielder we have with the drive and directness to get the ball forward and shift the defence with his runs and movement. If we'd had him for the last two games we'd be sitting here with 6 points instead of 1, and the outlook on here wouldn't be so bleak.

There isn’t really an answer to “the best 3/2” though is there? Your best 3 vs Dundee isn’t going to be your best 3 away at Villarreal. The trouble is the balance when he adjusts it, and also everyone’s inability to score outwith Morelos and Arfield.

The spine of the team should be a constant. At the very least, the defence should be settled. It's damaging us not having this.

Apparently the players muscles and energy levels go under tests during the week to see who is slightly fatigued or strained. I’m not sure if this is the reason because obviously certain players seem undroppable, but I’ve heard the medical team are very precise when giving Gerrard the info. By that I mean way more advanced than we’ve ever experienced.

Back