St mirren ask fans to pay to not go to the game

Complaining about our allocation when the only reason we get that allocation is because they can’t fill their home ground.

Scottish football is the only entertainment business in the world that deliberately turns customers and good money away. Supporters of St Mirren and Kilmarnock are costing their clubs a fortune and that has a knock on effect on wages. Also has it occurred to them that the money involved might actually enable their clubs to bring in a better quality player. Barry Hearne gave a speech at Scottish football dinner some years ago where all the bigwigs of the SFA and SPL were in attendance. He slated them for their attitude to potential customers. They didn’t listen. They never do.

So anyone watching on TV will basically be looking at empty stands.Thats a good look for any sponsors and potential sponsors of our game.If these teams could fill their grounds I have no problem with them taking 3 stands but they can't so instead of a packed ground and buzzing the place will be dead apart from our end.As others have said I don't know of any other industry that turns away willing customers.

Hopefully they took details of those who promised to donate and name and shame the plastics who don’t.

St Mirren are a complete joke of a club as are their supporters and board. Would love them to go out of business as offer nothing to football. A complete utter irrelevance.

I think St Mirren may be actually trying to call out their own fans here.

The fans voted for this, their club has backed them, now club expecting fans to put their money where their mouths are.

If fans don't take this up then St Mirren can justify "a use it or lose it" ultimatum and we'll get our allocation back.
Probably, but they shouldn’t have implemented it in the first place - did they seriously think their fans, who have been AWOL for years, were suddenly going to turn up in their droves for these games…?

I understand the annoyance of say, season ticket holders having to move, and they might lose a few, but the club should keep reminding them of the revenue generated - without it they’d probably be watching their team battle it out in the Lowland League.

They have listened to their fans and given them all 3 stands. Now they are asking them to buy tickets even if they do not plan to come to ensure they do not lose the income.

I say good on them. When their fans do not put their hands in their pockets they can give us more stands

I think the email is quite clever from their club. Still embarrassing but when they state “you indicated youd be happy to support this” - which they won’t. Citing cost of living etc

Scottish football - hatred of Rangers supercedes absolutely everything. Bring it on scum.

Yes that’s why they are doing it, and to be fair to the club while it’s a ridiculous decision they are adhering to the sentiment amongst their fan base.

Fully expect them to come back at the end of the season and tell their supporters that they are all talk and no action having not stumped up the money and that the allocation will be reinstated for next season, but at least that allows them to draw a line under it I suppose.
At first I thought muppets then after a bit thought it's quite clever by the club. They are giving their fans what they want now want them to uphold their part of the bargain.

They will not, which will allow the club to say f'off and sell tickets to the old firm.
Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit lol.

I genuinely know of no other sport that actively encourages empty seats in a stadium. Good players feed off a good atmosphere, can’t see how anyone benefits from an empty stadium.

Fair play to the board. Basically telling them to put money were the mouth is. If they lose lots of money. They can turn round and lay this down at them

It is extraordinary. They do nothing to entice new fans or encourage more fans to attend games. And they will lose more due to the cost of living crisis.

There has been numerous threads on here about it,

One of the stands they gave us was their family stand, season ticket holders were fed up getting shifted so in an attempt to keep their own fans, including new fans and their fans of the future happy they voted on it.

So they lose around £35k but have less stewarding, Policing and clean up costs

Fair play to them A Club who listen to their own supporters.

I genuinely know of no other sport that actively encourages empty seats in a stadium. Good players feed off a good atmosphere, can’t see how anyone benefits from an empty stadium.
That's the part St Mirren won't need to worry about.

Embarrassing, on twitter alot fo the St Mirren fans and a few groups are claiming this as a win at "rattling" Old Firm fans and also blaming it on fans supporting on glory hunting fans not supporting their local team, Idiots haha

If their fans want this and are willing to pay for it then fine, their house and their rules. I think it's insane that they can't fill their ground and that they are unwilling to allow other fans to watch a football game but that's their business.

I do love that the response seems to be that we are entitled and expect things. Couldn't care less if a stadium is full and we can't get tickets. But when you can't fill your ground, any response the other way just feels like sour grapes.

Any indication that the bought seats will be given to anyone? Local schools that kind of thing.

Cost of living crisis and they are asking their fans to fork out money so that seats lie empty rather than sell them to us? Only in Scotland could this happen and the sad thing is a good few of their fans will pay it.

Tbh,I actually think the ST Mirren board are playing a blinder.They are calling the bluff of the internet loudmouths.There no way they will sell out anything that is required to break even to cover the money for 4 visits of Us and them.
Next season they will provide the proof and show them up for the self serving self loathing little people they are.

I don't actually see anything wrong with that from the club's point of view.

Theyve listened to their supporters and now want them to put their money where their mouth is.

We pay £50 just to be allowed to buy tickets every season.
It is actually fair - if you don’t want Rangers fans taking up the majority of the ground we’ll have to increase ticket prices to cover the expected loss.

Of course they won’t want that either.

What an embarrassing wee nation Scotland is, it's the sort of attitude that runs rampant all through Scotland, hate hate hate and at the expense of themselves, it's tragic man.

The reason we have the skewed fixture list with the imbalance of games,then that daft split(where fans that go to games don’t know where or when the final five league fixtures are till late in the season) is because they expanded the league from 10 to 12 teams to give more clubs the chance of revenue.
Then this diddy team shut paying fans out in favour of empty seats.
Add in Kilmarnock telling us they need to have that (terrible) artificial playing surface to make revenue on non match days then shutting out paying football fans who would bring in revenue.
Utterly tinpot league.

Should sell season tickets where the fan can actually get to take the seat home and keep it. An extra £20 for removal or bring your own spanner.

In an ideal world the club would tell st boo that were not taking any allocation. It's not like we're going in to the devil's kitchen.

Back