Start Defoe vs Kilmarnock?

Start Defoe vs Kilmarnock?

• Yes

Votes: 93 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 356 79.3%

• Total voters
I wouldn't be overly upset if we did. However, I'd prefer that Roofe, or even Morelos got the nod ahead of him.

Can see the merits in your argument but I reckon Morelos for his physicality. This won't be a game of football at times.

Why does FF not understand the concept of playing your ‘best XI’ twice a week throughout the season isn’t feasible and does happen. If you try- you’ll get injuries and loss of form.

Squads are rotated.

If you think Defoe is the best of of strikers to start at Killie then I am afraid you don’t really have a tactical understanding of the game

I'd rather start him on Thursday and play Morelos against Kilmarnock.

Defoe isn't in the Euro squad. I'm assuming Gerrard has said Defoe will play the Sundays after Europe.

Morelos owes us a big performance on Sunday. Ideally I'd want Roofe playing but the pitch and fact he's probs not 100% probs rules that out.

Think he’s earned another start and has scored there previously

Madness. Make no mistake, Defoe will have a part to play domestically this season, especially after being left out of the European squad. However at a ground we've struggled at in recent seasons I wouldn't be starting him.

Coming off the bench if we're needing a goal (hopefully not) he is invaluable though.

Roofe returning from an injury lay off? Seriously doubt he will start on their surface.

Morelos

Kent Arfield Aribo

Kamara Davis

Barisic Helander Goldson Tav

Greegs

Interesting that you don't want to start Roofe after an injury lay off, but will start Aribo.

Defoe showed good movement today for his goal and part in the 1st, but i did feel the link up play between midfield and forwards was not great and we did miss Alfie.

Roofe looked a bit off the pace too; so I would stil go with Alfie to start.

Despite all the criticism of him, Alfie has been a constant in the team during this winning run and still feel he is our best option as a 9 this season.

I wouldn't start Defoe or Roofe on a plastic pitch. Morelos or Itten to start depending on any issues after Poznan

Morelos starts but we need to get Itten as many minutes as possible, Roofe will claim the right sided attacking role now he’s near up to speed.
Defoe will play a big part in games which are done or when we can afford to rest others.
Great options we have just now.

Defoe showed good movement today for his goal and part in the 1st, but i did feel the link up play between midfield and forwards was not great and we did miss Alfie.

Roofe looked a bit off the pace too; so I would stil go with Alfie to start.

Despite all the criticism of him, Alfie has been a constant in the team during this winning run and still feel he is our best option as a 9 this season.

Agree, but I thought Itten showed some encouraging signs when he came on.

He’s progressing.

I love the wee man and he might well have his part to play from the bench but I don’t think you’ll see him start at Killie. You’ve got to say though on current form there’s absolutely zero chance Morelos puts that chance away yesterday. Defoe is one classy finisher. I do wonder when Itten gets his chance and obviously Roofe is ready to be unleashed as well.

No, totally different game. If I was to guess now I'd say Morelos and Roofe will start in place of Defoe and Hagi.

I voted yes.

Reason being he won't play on Thursday and I think more chance of Morelos, Roofe and Itten being involved.

Get Thursday out the way first with hopefully another win and then concentrate on Sunday

Morelos will be important against Kilmarnock next weekend. Just because he isn't scoring as regularly as he was doesn't mean he isn't contributing to wins. Kilmarnock defenders will be all over him, trying to mark him out the game. When Morelos comes deep to receive the ball he'll pull defenders out of position, take the ball and play it on in behind for other players like Kent, Aribo and Hagi. It's no coincidence that we're getting more goals from other areas this season rather than Morelos alone - he's become much more of a team player.

Morelos should start against Kilmarnock and I think he will.

I love Defoe but our play is stifled a bit when he plays. Itten, Roofe and Morelos all run the channels well and give our full backs someone to play it forward too. Defoe doesn't do that as well as them as he's a penalty box striker so a lot of our play is back the way when he plays.

Aribo will start against Killie definitely due to his background, I would be shocked if Alfie wasn’t up front.

The poacher ability that Defoe has might well suit these kind of matches. If we can score quickly (like we did last night) and then control the game, it's not a bad shout

Back