Sterling again today

Ok, I get the hysteria - we're hurting and want answers. I also like Sterling and think he's an excellent player, I feel he has all the attributes to be an outstanding right back for us and his versatility is having a negative impact as he can't focus on a position.

I've seen him have a couple of good games in midfield, where he showed a lot of energy and drive - but a swallow doesn't make a summer as he's also had poor games in there. I don't buy into the notion that he should be a right sided midfielder either - the days of a 442 are gone.

So genuine question, is he really the answer for us in midfield? I don't think so, I think we need to recruit a proper midfielder who will chip in with goals, incredibly comfortable on the ball...along with the energy and drive.

Last edited:
Ok, I get the hysteria - we're hurting and want answers. I also like Sterling and think he's an excellent player, I feel he has all the attributes to be an outstanding right back for us and his versatility is having a negative impact as he can't focus on a position.

I've seen him have a couple of good games in midfield, where he showed a lot of energy and drive - but a swallow doesn't make a summer as he's also had poor games in there. I don't buy into the notion that he should be a right sided midfielder either - the days of a 442 are gone.

Do genuine question, is he really the answer for us in midfield? I don't think so, I think we need to recruit a proper midfielder who will chip in with goals, incredibly comfortable on the ball...along with the energy and drive.
He can be a great right back for us, centre half cover.
If tav leaves its his.
We need midfield players in their respective positions.

Clement clearly doesn’t see him as a central midfielder, which is a huge mistake, IMO.

With Lundstram out it will be Raskin alongside Diomande before big John is restored for the cup final.
If Clement starts Lundstram in the cup final after that pish today, he’d be as well resigning because that would finish him in the eyes of a lot of people.

After seeing sterling at centre half I'd rather see him played as a defender. His positioning and recovery tackling is above anyone in the defense. Twice he outrun and dispossessed their attackers.
Tavernier needs to be gone I can't watch him stand off and let whoever is on his side have free reign to put a cross in time and again.

Sterling, was superb at centre back.
His versatility is probably the issue but me personally his legs in midfield would be more beneficial to the team.

Him, Raskin, Diomande for me on the final.

While I understand the sentiment, that’s clearly not going to happen.

If he isn’t prepared to learn from his mistakes and find different ways to win matches, he absolutely will be gone though.
Why not? He has done nothing in any previous OF game to suggest he should play. Everything is slow when he is in midfield. Poor tracking for the first goal, worse for the second and losing his head for the red. He should be gone.
If Clement plays him at Hampden, he should be sacked for shear stupidity.

How is he needed at RW?

He is needed more in midfield. Games are won and lost in there and our best one is stuck out wide affecting nothing.

Lawrence out right and Sterling CM is obvious as Lawrence doesn't have the legs in a midfield 3.
He's probably been told to help bottle job tav deal with maeda.

Time to move Tav on, I am sorry to say. Sterling was signed as a RB or right hand side of a back 3. Time to play him there and put a proper defence on the field and stop giving away these stupid goals.

We really need to build a team around Sterling but will the manager have a set of balls to do so?

At least we know there are players out there who we can bring in and improve the team without wasting millions. We need more like him at a decent price

All we can hope for is Clement is being careful what he says and does until the end of the season and then gets rid of most of them.

That’s the branch of hope I am holding on to. He’s saying the right/wrong things now and will then go full crazy in the summer gutting the squad of these losers.

Fix his position, whether that be RB, CB or CM. I do think he’s probably not a CM to be honest but we need someone with that athleticism in CM signed. I’d make him Captain also.

Sterling on McGregor, only one winner in that contest.
Clement has not shown any tactical nouse imo, he does plan A to death when the available players don't fit the system.
433 with our available players is not working, leaking soft goals all over the place.
4-5-1 gets Cantwell, Sterling, Diomonde, Raskin, Lundstram into a midfield that is screaming for help. 3 in the middle is not working.

he is not a young lad. he is 25 this year. he needs a settled position in the Rangers team and to play there every week. he should be a first pick

Tbh he has been great for us centrally but he isn't good enough when he plays wide which makes it baffling why he is continually wasted out wide.

Just me that thinks he’s been poor whenever he’s played at RB? He’s the only real positive in our squad along with Butland and absolutely should be used better but we can’t go into next season with Sterling as our starting RB

Think it's pivotal for us winning at hampden that were try our best to get Sima and Yilmaz fully up and running. That way we can get Sterling into the middle and hopefully shut up the spaces better

So genuine question, is he really the answer for us in midfield? I don't think so, I think we need to recruit a proper midfielder who will chip in with goals, incredibly comfortable on the ball...along with the energy and drive.
He can be a great right back for us, centre half cover.
If tav leaves its his.
We need midfield players in their respective positions.
Correct. The guy is a defender. He's played circa two thirds of games he's featured in as a defender. According to Transfermarkt, out of more than 200 appearances he has just 5 - that's right 5! - in the CM/DM role folk want him to feature for us in. He is nothing more than a stop-gap in there. He even acknowledged earlier in the season that he had to watch YouTube videos to see what playing in midfield was all about. He has a bit of the Calvin Bassey's about him and we wouldn't have dreamt of throwing him into that role.

We need to see Sterling in the team but, if we want to see the best of him, we need to see him in defence. Let's not hamper him because of deficiencies elsewhere in the team. If we want better midfielders then we need to source better midfielders.

Just think ahead of yesterday it was an absolute slam dunk to add him to the midfield to avoid us being overrun in there.

I don't think he should be the long term answer, I think we should sign centre mids. But in the current circumstances he'd have been the best option to put on Magregor the other day.

As far as I remember the goals comes from sterling beating Taylor, Silvas chance comes from Sterling beating taylor and Sterling has a decent chance at a header against Taylor, it was obviously a miss match and something we had planned but the midfield was left too weak and slow without him in there.

Back