Sterling the "Utility Player"

Ive seen it put about that he needs a permanent position

Issue Clement has is he's one of the few players he can trust to do a solid job

Hes probably one of the most consistent players we've had in a few years to do a solid 7/8 out of 10 every week in almost any position on the pitch

Id argue that Clement should be building his team around this guy, he is definitely much better defensively than pretty much anyone at the club

Hes probably one of the most consistent players we've had in a few years to do a solid 7/8 out of 10 every week in almost any position on the pitch

Id argue that Clement should be building his team around this guy, he is definitely much better defensively than pretty much anyone at the club
He’s a player that Sir Walter would’ve absolutely loved to have.

He’s not a forward and whilst he’s commendable in terms of giving us what he has there, he’s not that effective at tight midfield.

We lose much more from midfield / defence where he can impact the game more, than by having to select one of the other (poor) wide options.

Best player we have. Make him a good offer and keep him here.
The sort of player we used to have a few of in our successful squads. Guys like McCall, Ian Ferguson, Durrant in that he has the skill but is also totally committed and does a job for us nearly all the time. Sad that he stands out so much now as we don’t have the right sort throughout the current squad. More like him needed.

It's a bit of a curse for him being so versatile.

That said, I want him played in midfield, which is out of his supposed position of RB when he signed.

He has the speed and physicallity our other CMs do not possess.

He recovers errors the way most of our other CMs are unable to.

He has the focus some of our CMs cannot maintain.

He is wasted out wide or at the back.

Put him in CM to foil Diomande and Cantwell. He will be best there and make those two play better as well.

It’s funny, we have been crying out for a midfield enforcer for decades. Bought/sold/released countless failures. Then we stumble upon one for free who was brought in as a backup right back, only for the manager to refuse to play him there.

I posted this in another thread but its just as valid here. Sterling is a defender. We should play him as a defender. He's played just 5 games in DM/CM in over 200 appearances (all of them for us). The position is alien to him despite his strength and pace. Address our midfield issues by signing 'proper' midfield players rather than shoehorning him in there. He has Bassey-like qualities - but we'd never have considered big Calvin in midfield.

At New Year Sterling played as a DM alongside Lundstram I'm sure. Made absolutely no difference. In fact looking at the thread below, most media had McGregor as their MotM and Sterling as pretty average. I recall him being one of our better players but, for sure, he didn't stop McGregor running the show for them.

Sterling is a defender. If we want to see the best of him we need to play him as a defender. DM/CM position is alien to him, despite the thoughts of most on here. Play him in defence and recruit 'proper' midfield players to address our issues in midfield. Otherwise, we risk either not seeing the best of Sterling or losing him altogether.

This is from the New Year game:

If we can improve the positions he’s been filling in for then hopefully he’ll be playing in the middle of the park next year. You could say his versatility has been to his detriment but it’s also shown us all that he’s more than capable in a couple of positions, a dream for any manager.

We need this player in the middle of mid field. Watching him yesterday his desire to win was obvious, his determination to get others around him to stand up and be counted could be seen a mile away. If we’ve got to play Wright it’s speaks volumes of the managers lack of confidence in himself. And jus as an afterthought where has all the money from the European games gone, AGAIN?

Unfortunately Sterling does have a permanent position

He fills in for all our injured players all over the park

Perhaps next season we will see us strengthen our defence with him in his natural right back position

Because although he's fine footballer and one of the few I'd keep in this Rangers squad in fact, I think you'll find the boy himself would admit he's not the best communicator in the world.
Seems fine to me, came out in the press with some absolute brute honesty.

Is Tav a great communicator with his platitudes?

Was Barry a great communicator?

It’s time for a proper rebuild. We can’t afford to do it all over the summer but we need to start by not trying to build a team around Tavernier / Goldson again. It doesn’t work and it’s time for a braver, alternate approach this summer.

It needs to be around players like Sterling and Diomande and hopefully a few new faces. Folks that haven’t been immersed in failure at Rangers.

He has the speed and physicallity our other CMs do not possess.

He recovers errors the way most of our other CMs are unable to.

He has the focus some of our CMs cannot maintain.

He is wasted out wide or at the back.

Put him in CM to foil Diomande and Cantwell. He will be best there and make those two play better as well.
I agree, love to see him in the midfield

Seems fine to me, came out in the press with some absolute brute honesty.

Is Tav a great communicator with his platitudes?

Was Barry a great communicator?
Taverneir wouldn't have been my choice but he's a decent temperament for it and gets by so I think so yeah. Someone like Steven Gerrard must have thought he had what it takes and would have given him it on merit I'd like to think.

Ferguson although maybe not the most articulate guy in the world was a born leader and was at the club when we had a structure at least. He leaned on and learned from a lot of big characters.

Sterling in centre mid, go try get Ben Johnson at rb, and and monster of a centre half. And work on things from there

He certainly called it right when he said at a press conference some of our players lacked belief.

I thought he was superb in the centre of defence on Saturday but you could play him almost anywhere and he’ll give his all.

Back