Steve Davis

It says a lot about the other midfielders left on the bench, do posters think a manager with a career like Gio’s doesn’t know in what respects a 37 year old Davis might struggle with against a team like Liverpool.

Gio was captaining the Netherlands in a World Cup final at the age of 35, Pirlo was playing in a Champions league final at 36. Midfielders who rely on technique over physicality usually have a longer career. Just checked Bobby Russell was still playing professional football at 40.

Gio was captaining the Netherlands in a World Cup final at the age of 35, Pirlo was playing in a Champions league final at 36. Midfielders who rely on technique over physicality usually have a longer career. Just checked Bobby Russell was still playing professional football at 40.
They had top players around them to be able to play on. We don’t.

He
As much as I love the wee man he hasn’t got the legs anymore.
doesn’t have it for games like last night and when watching Northern Ireland you can see he has certainly lost a bit of speed and general play.

He should have been here as a last option for this season, certainly never starting against that last night

Pirlo as great as he was had superior players around him which helped him carry on longer, Davis doesn’t have that to be fair on him

I said when we renewed his contract it was a bad move. He's still fine in domestic games where we're controlling possession and have the opposition pinned back. But even here he's blocking the path of Charlie McCann. In games where we have less of the possession and are chasing the game he just doesn't have it anymore. Not his fault, it's just an age thing.

He should never have given a new contract. This game cried out for McCann to be given his chance against higher opponents to see where he is.

Rangers man of the match was a near 40 year old Allan McGregor but then goalkeeper is a different position when judged by age. I am Steven Davis' biggest fan but he should not have started this game. Jack, Arfield or Kamara must be wondering why and how a player older than them gets this game.

Dearie me. Nothing to do with his legs being gone. That's just the latest trope to get plastered all over this forum.

The formation did not suit having two defensive midfielders and two lazy wingers that did not want to cover any ground. That was the problem.

Exactly.

Back