Steven Davis

SirWalterSmith

Didnt look at his best pre Gio but seems to have been frozen out albeit on the bench Wednesday Does he still have a role to play in the run in? Ramsey and Jack's return make it even more difficult to see him playing a meaningful role in the run in .

If so and if (still a big if) we lose the title will still be sorry to see him end his Rangers career. One of the best players of the last decade IMO

The cause was never made public, but he hasn’t been fit for quite some time now so I wouldn’t say he’s been frozen out. His performance levels weren’t what we have been used to prior to his absence so it would be best to address the issue and have him ready for what is going to be a crucial 15 games. Players like Davis know what it’s like to drag us through title races, him and McGregor will be absolutely crucial to the squad even if not playing each week over the next 3 months

When you really need someone to help keep the ball and take the sting out of a team/fired up crowd, Davis is your man. If I knew he was fit, he would always be in the team v them.

After a great performance away to Mwell, his form went off a cliff, maybe injury related, maybe just age. Has been out a long time If he could get it back for 15 games it would win us the league no doubt.

Been pretty poor all season and has had fitness issues.

But I’d be happy to give him another chance if he’s back fit soon, poor form from others means anyone has a chance of breaking back into the starting 11.

Unfortunately he’s just not got it anymore, similar to McGregor, it’s a season too far. Even when Davis was playing earlier in the season he had one good performance away to Motherwell and that was it. He played even worse in Gio’s formation in the limited time he played. Gerrards formation was protected him a lot more whereas Gio’s exposes his lack of running he can sustain at his age.

Like many, he's struggled with form and also injurys this season. He's not going to starting every game but if fit he'll have a big part to play IMO.
I just don’t see it, only position he can play is the dm role in Gio’s formation and I’d imagine we will see jack there at the weekend. Then there’s Kamara who’s ahead of him in the pecking order. Then there’s sands who’s a Gio signing so I reckon he would be picked over Davis. I just don’t see how he plays a part given his poor form all season, he’s just looked old this season when playing.

I just don’t see it, only position he can play is the dm role in Gio’s formation and I’d imagine we will see jack there at the weekend. Then there’s Kamara who’s ahead of him in the pecking order. Then there’s sands who’s a Gio signing so I reckon he would be picked over Davis. I just don’t see how he plays a part given his poor form all season, he’s just looked old this season when playing.
Hopefully we do see Jack there at the weekend mate! I still believe he has a part to play, time will tell

Get Davis back in the team. Jack too.

The 2nd goal by hatate is exactly the type of position Davis would take up and snuff out if he was playing.

Gio wants to play a sit back and absorb formation yet he wasn't even playing with a natural cdm in the team. Davis is exactly that.

Gio talked about our passing not being good enough to beat their high press. Again, something Davis excels at.

We desperately need some balance back in our midfield.

Until the end of the season we should go with Jack and one of Davis or Kamara, with Ramsey ahead of them. Arfield back up to Ramsey.

Aribo in the front 3.

No matter their respective quality and pedigree, it's worrying that so many of us feel like the remainder of our season rests on how much we can get out of 1. a player coming off a complicated recovery from long-term injury, 2. a 37-year-old, and 3. a loan signing who has hardly played this season, world class or not. It's not like the rest of our midfield has been ravaged by injuries, with the exception of losing Hagi. It's damning on the rest of the squad and the summer recruitment that it's come to this. But agree with others here, would leave to see Davis back on form for one last push across the finish line.

I must havebeen watching a different Davis because I just dont see this massive drop off in form people are talking about.It seems someone makes a comment and loads jump on.We were crying out for a fit Davis on Wednesday.H e would have blocked some of the channels intercepted many of these through balls.He is the best reader other game we have.

Him and Jack back in on Sunday for me. A couple of games on the sideline will do Kamara no harm.
Ramsey in front of them but that’s very harsh on Scotty Arfield who I’d normally never have out of my team.
Just need to fit Aribo in somewhere, inside winger on the right to allow Tav to get up and beyond him but GVB will need to move on his preferred system.

On known form he couldnt complain about being left out. However, hes one of the few that wouldn't have been overawed by the occasion. In that regard, he probably should have started. I admit im saying that with the benefit of hindsight though

If Jack remains injury free he always starts ahead of Davis for me and not sure if Davis and Jack in the same team is a good option

One thing about Davis is he would have tracked his man and still been chasing on 90 minutes even the age he is he never hides.

Always puts a shift in games against them. Was him who cleared off the line from a corner in that 2-1 win of ours at the Piggery a few seasons ago, IIRC.

Back