Steven Davis.

JMCK

We really miss a player like him at times like this: experienced at the highest level, brilliant at setting the tempo, drawing the best out of defence and helping players around him, and retaining possession etc; he was a step up in terms of ability. I'm a fan of Lundstram, but just like with Ryan Jack, I would be an even bigger fan if he had Davis playing alongside him. In my opinion it's not so much that we have poor players, but that in someone like Davis we had that level of player that brought the best out in others.

He was the player that made 55 possible we have not replaced that and probably never will unless we somehow find the next one at 18 years old and have the strength to play him and patience to let him develop.

The last time we got the most out of Tavernier and Barisic was when Davis, Jack and Kamara were covering for them in midfield. Now we've got a far too attacking midfield in Cantwell and Lawrence with Lundstram holding while Tavernier is trying to do the same thing but 3 years old and Barisic has checked out, it's so disjointed and doesn't bring out the best in anyone. That means we're playing Sterling there who for all his positives and flexibility isn't going to do what you need from left back. I know you can't play the same way forever but Lundstram and Sakala signing completely ruined the shape of the team and style of player that brought us success.

Back