Steven MacLean tells Caixinha to stop with the mind games and 'worry about stopping leaks'

Bonnyloyal

Veteran St Johnstone striker Steven MacLean has told Pedro Caixinha to stop wasting time with ‘mind games’ directed at opponents and devote more energy to stopping dressing-room leaks.

With Rangers facing Saints at McDiarmid Park on Friday night, the Ibrox boss claimed he had pitted his team into a bounce game against Morton during the international break because the mid-table Championship side ‘play in a similar way’ and have ‘more or less the same philosophy’ as Tommy Wright’s men.

Perceiving Caixinha’s words as a jibe at a Perth side who have finished in the Premiership top four for the past three seasons, 36-year-old MacLean urged the Portuguese to concentrate on his own club after details of a heated meeting with his players following the recent Old Firm defeat were leaked to the Press

‘I did have a little chuckle when I read his comments,’ said MacLean. ‘It is more of Pedro’s mind games. There are similarities (between St Johnstone and Morton). We both play in blue and white.

‘I don’t know where he is coming from. Maybe he is trying to wind us up. He’s doing a good job of it. We are all petrified! I think he should worry about stopping leaks coming out his dressing room.

‘He is trying to wind us up but we’re a bit long in the tooth for that. We will take care of our own business - and he can keep doing what he wants.’

Rangers are ahead of St Johnstone in third place on goal difference only, with the teams locked on 14 points after eight rounds of league fixtures.

Anticipating a tight affair, MacLean said he was looking forward to maybe even exchanging the odd word with Caixinha.

‘It is good banter and we do enjoy it. It does add a bit of spice to the game.

‘Hopefully he is feeling a bit better now and he will be on the edge of his dugout - and we will get a bit of bite off him.

‘We have been called rugby players before but we just take these things with a pinch of salt. It is water off a duck’s back.

‘People try to come up with new things every year for us. If we are doing well and people want to have a fight then it is a compliment for us. We will take everything that comes our way.

‘It is a good thing in life when somebody puts you down. It makes you want to come out the other end fighting. It is a good attitude to have - to prove people wrong. It gives you a strong mentality when people say you are not good enough.

‘Secretly we use it in the dressing room to shove ourselves on and to try and finish as high up the league as possible.

‘We enjoy folk having a dig because we know we have more sides to our game. We can fight when it gets dirty and we can play football as well. We have not finished in the top four for the past three seasons by just lumping it long.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...o-Caixinha-stop-mind-games.html#ixzz4v9PdIXkR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sounds like Stevie boy has hazard a nerve tweaked and is trying to be a wideo winding PC. Back be of course we know Pedro is too long in the tooth for that.

Not sure how any player can be offended by what Pedro said. What a tosser McLean must be. I presume as Strapons team are being used in friendlies in the next 6 months to prepare teams to face england, NI or ROI, in the World Cup, he will be equally offended at the slight on our nation. Some players are so thick they still manage to surprise you! The only one at the wind up is McLean

Sounds like McLean is posturing to replace Tommy Wright, once he eventually moves on. But why do our former players act like this? It seems like an almost-weekly occurence now.

I would be happy if the manager stopped the leaks. Especially as they have been to that prick Jackson. And I don't believe the latest leak came from Miller. Probably an agent, or a fat cat.

The thing is Pedro does have problems with certain statements that can easily be misconstrued; this is another one. No doubt about it.

‘It is a good thing in life when somebody puts you down. It makes you want to come out the other end fighting. It is a good attitude to have - to prove people wrong. It gives you a strong mentality when people say you are not good enough.

He's right about this bit at least, and this is exactly how Pedro needs to be thinking at the moment.

‘Secretly we use it in the dressing room to shove ourselves on and to try and finish as high up the league as possible."

Doh, there goes the secret, what a weird article!

St Johnstone and Morton do play pretty similar though don't they? Try to be solid defensively and counter attack.

Just comes across as very insecure from MacLean

Not really sure what Pedro has supposed to have said wrong to get this dimwit some upset. Although, it's a good opportunity for the media to try and get a boot in somewhere. He has just taken this the wrong way and decided to lash out.

With any luck we'll just beat them well on Friday.

So MacLean bites at a comment that he says has been made purely to get a reaction. Slightly ironic is it not, by reacting does that not mean that Pedro has already got one up in the perceived mind game??

He is telling Pedro to stop playing mind games then further down he quotes:-

"He is trying to wind us up but we’re a bit long in the tooth for that. We will take care of our own business - and he can keep doing what he wants.’

It doesn't bother us. It really doesn't. We had a laugh. We secretly use it. Pinch of salt, Water off a dugs back.

Ok then......

Water off a ducks back! I don't think so, he's raging over it and he's made so much of an effort to be offended at nothing it just shows the nobodies that are jumping on the anti Pedro bandwagon! His response is not in proportion to PC comments and is quite embarrassing.

People try to come up with new things each ever year! That doesn't happen either, as far as I've seen people have nothing but respect for St Johnstone. He can take his faux outrage and f*•k off!

Best thing we can do is show our own fight and comfortably take care of them!

Odd way to take it. I just took it that Pedro was meaning Morton set up and played a similar way - not that they were of the same standard.
I'm sure that's exactly what he meant. I'm also sure anyone with an ounce of sense will understand that. MacLean seems to be a sensitive wee soul!

Seems to me that he's been led by the nose by the reporter looking for a non story.
Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box.

So in actual fact McLean has taken offence to something that wasn’t meant to cause offence yet he’s trying to make out that it hasn’t got to him.:eek:
If you look at it through the eyes of someone who hasn’t been wound up, (definitely not wound up, have we got that straight?) would look like a massive compliment because he sees St Johnstone as a threat and wants to be as ready as possible.

Morton and St Johnstone are very similar in their approach, both on and off the ball, so Pedro's comment is totally valid.

Anything he says will get used against him, until he wins the matches. Do them on Friday, Rangers

Too much time on your hands Stevie boy,papers manipulating you into an undignified answer?you are commenting on another clubs managers "comments "-kettle black,Hope we stuff you on Friday night,only way to shut up the clowns who line up to have a go.

Nothing wrong with this at all. People are good at complaining about our game being sanitised then start greeting when an opposition player or manager has a wee dig ahead of a game. It livens things up a bit, he's hardly said anything derogatory ffs.

Nothing wrong with this at all. People are good at complaining about our game being sanitised then start greeting when an opposition player or manager has a wee dig ahead of a game. It livens things up a bit, he's hardly said anything derogatory ffs.

Its just another example of a completely innocuous comment from Pedro being twisted to make it look as if he's disrespecting the opposition, when its the opposite.

They've did it since the day he arrived.

Talk about an over reaction!

Morton are known to play a short passing game are they not?

Pedro never said that they were as good as St Johnstone just that they play the same way.

Pretty pathetic that the Mail has gone to Maclean looking for comment after that quotes from Pedro.

There is nothing wrong in what Pedro said. He clearly meant Morton play in the same way as St Johnstone. Just another Scottish paper using any excuse they can to get a dig in about our manager.

Get the win on Friday, that's all that matters.

Let’s face it McLean can probably double his £40 p/w wage by doing a shitty interview link this

He's talking sh!te. Reacting to something Pedro hasn't said.

I couldn't give a fûck what anyone else says, personally. People are having a go at this tool's comments because they are bizarre and baseless, not because we're all raging and want him silenced.

Its just another example of a completely innocuous comment from Pedro being twisted to make it look as if he's disrespecting the opposition, when its the opposite.

They've did it since the day he arrived.

It's absolutely amazing they have took offence to his comments but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the press asking certain questions to get this response from MacLean. The best way to answer them all is to win and start rubbing it in.

All the muppets need to do is pin up that we are playing Rangers, as that seems to spur them on. No team has the same desire to win when they are not playing the Famous Glasgow Rangers.

Back