Stevenage fined £5k over offensive chanting

FFS. I'm glad I'm 58 as I don't think I can stand any more of this PC pish, Yahoo bleating and tall tales.

The world was much simpler, when I was a lad. Everybody was a lady's front bottom.

Too many people now want to be offended even though they probably aren’t. Whether it’s Joe Public a political figure a TV personality etc it’s utter nonsense. Agree with you 100%.

Aye right enough, not wanting those things chanted at their female assistant ref is political correctness gone mad!!

Is it any more offensive than songs about a player shagging a supporters wife or players having a massive nob, abusing a player for being ugly, bald or fat. Do we need to fine for who ate all the pies because it's fat shaming?

Rate it's going everything will be banned apart from permitted songs played over a speaker.

Too many people now want to be offended even though they probably aren’t. Whether it’s Joe Public a political figure a TV personality etc it’s utter nonsense. Agree with you 100%.
There are actually more problems, arguments and divisions now in society due to the PC crusade. Pre PC nonsense people just got on with it and there was no hysterical screaming at everything.

There is no fun anymore as people are too scared to say certain things, people are looking to be offended and many have had a sense of humour bypass.

Give me the old days anytime.

Aye right enough, not wanting those things chanted at their female assistant ref is political correctness gone mad!!

If the exact same chants had been aimed towards a male linesman absolutely feck all would've happened.

So! A question for the usual suspects.

How would you react if your daughter was subjected to this type of sexist abuse when she was at her work just doing her job?

Football is a working class sport anyone in or around the pitch is fair game, if you cant handle it get involved in cricket.

Male or female.

It would've been sexist not to give her some kind of banter tbh, can't have it both ways.

hqdefault.jpg

Quality replacement lino

Coldbear, post: 3949753, member: 5100"]I'd be fine with it, how about you?[/QUOTE]

Don't have daughter but I have a granddaughter.

I guess I would take the same line if she was similarly verbally abused in the street by a group of social inadequates.

Suspect our moral compasses are set differently. Which is fortunate for my granddaughter and unfortunate for your daughter.

Is it any more offensive than songs about a player shagging a supporters wife or players having a massive nob, abusing a player for being ugly, bald or fat. Do we need to fine for who ate all the pies because it's fat shaming?

Rate it's going everything will be banned apart from permitted songs played over a speaker.
Final straw will be £5k fine for the speaker cause some lady`s front bottom took offence :oops:

Football is a working class sport anyone in or around the pitch is fair game, if you cant handle it get involved in cricket.

Male or female.

It would've been sexist not to give her some kind of banter tbh, can't have it both ways.
This all day long.

They've stepped into the man's game. If they want 'equality' and all that.........

So! A question for the usual suspects.

How would you react if your daughter was subjected to this type of sexist abuse when she was at her work just doing her job?

Never mind their daughters or wives, how about them? If some bunch of guys spent an hour of their working day changing at them that they wanted to shag them, and their boss said “no problem, get over it”. I’m sure they would be fine with it.

I guess I would take the same line if she was similarly verbally abused in the street by a group of social inadequates.

Suspect our moral compasses are set differently. Which is fortunate for my granddaughter and unfortunate for your daughter.

I also don't have a daughter, so I refuse to get offended on behalf of someone who doesn't exist.

Here's a question for you, was the assistant referee offended by these chants?

Last edited:
Watching the Killie match last week v CQN, early in the first half the CQN physio came on to treat an injured player, it was a woman. The killie fans in a packed stand were giving it cwoarrr, whooping and whistling at her like they were having a bit of fun at the game. Brought a smile to my face if I'm honest.

Coldbear, post: 3949753, member: 5100"]I'd be fine with it, how about you?

Suspect our moral compasses are set differently. Which is fortunate for my granddaughter and unfortunate for your daughter.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever had a problem with what football fans have sung and shouted to officials in the past?

I haven't but your point about any woman being subject to verbal abuse at work is well taken.

I'm not entirely sure what the answer is, I suspect it would be easier if officials were male.

But then that's a discriminatory employment policy.

Surely you concede that there is a danger of removing much of what was fun about attendance at games by a mostly working class men.

Played Bury last season, lino was replaced by a lady.

As change was being made home fans sung "We'd shag the lino", "Get your tits out for the lads" and "If you'd all shag the lino clap your hands"

Apologies but no pics
Its not about political correctness, its just common decency to be respectful to females in a public place. Its not funny or clever. You wouldnt do it to your daughter, sister or mother and its offensive to girls and women in the crowd. There is no justification.

I also don't have a daughter, so I refuse to get offended on behalf of someone who doesn't exist.

Here's a question for you, was the assistant referee offended by these chants?[/QUOTE]

So you don't have daughter but you said you would be fine with it. Hmmmmo_O

Do I think the assistant referee was offended by the chants???? Seriously? You think she started a career in football for the chance to be the subject of verbal sexual abuse? I think your polemic has just pissed away any scintilla of credibility. Don't you.

Think that`s English slang for linesman....oops,referee`s assistant...
Was it Andy Gray`s pal Amy Rayner(sp)?(though think she`s married now)
Your thinking of Sian Massey. Don't think Lisa Rashid, Sian or even "our "Amy would be too bothered by it. More likely the report has came from Match Observer/Assessor

Have you ever had a problem with what football fans have sung and shouted to officials in the past?

I haven't but your point about any woman being subject to verbal abuse at work is well taken.

I'm not entirely sure what the answer is, I suspect it would be easier if officials were male.

But then that's a discriminatory employment policy.

Surely you concede that there is a danger of removing much of what was fun about attendance at games by a mostly working class men.[/QUOTE]

I'm in my sixties Steve, and well remember the chants at teenage majorettes that were mentioned above and numerous other stuff that was chanted.
I will answer you thus. I'm not sure how many of the posters who are lamenting the right not to chant sexual abuse at a female official actually attend modern Ibrox. Where I sit there is numerous female fans of all ages seated around me. I'm sure it's the same around the whole stadium. Who among us would stand up and indulge in this kind of behaviour given the demographic of our home fanbase. I hope none. The atmosphere at games is not enhanced by this behaviour.

I've just checked the date in the bottom right hand of my screen. It says it's 2019.

What are the FA supposed to do here exactly? They are absolutely right to stand by their employee. If my missus or daughter took that kind of abuse at work I’d expect her employer to initiate proceedings.

It will get to the stage you will be handed a sheet of recycled paper printed on biodegradable ink with everything you can say and sing and nothing else.

So you don't have daughter but you said you would be fine with it. Hmmmmo_O

Do I think the assistant referee was offended by the chants???? Seriously? You think she started a career in football for the chance to be the subject of verbal sexual abuse? I think your polemic has just pissed away any scintilla of credibility. Don't you.

Yet you don't have a daughter and you're all offended on your imaginary daughters behalf?

I didn't ask you if you thought the assistant ref was offended, I asked if she was offended. Do you have any information regarding this question or not?

Please read the words before getting on your high horse.

Last edited:
Back