Stevie G equals Walters European win record

1SRnuKn.gif

An exceptional record even taking into account it's all Europa League level games and Walter would have played plenty at CL level which skews his record somewhat.

Our style of play is really suited to European football. Teams don’t sit back and park the bus like the jobbers in Scotland. Leaves loads of space for our dangerous players to exploit.
Tbf the jobbers in Scotland style of play is how Walter got most of his Euro victories

Excellent stuff. I am pretty sure he has no idea how highly he is thought of. Cant wait for a full stadium showing our appreciation ( and that won't be by singing certain songs previously suggested!)

42 European games in under 3 years with Mr Gerrard is incredible. Considering the rebuilding of the team/squad he's had to do and the qualifiers coming mainly through the pre-season weeks, it makes it more impressive.

Speaks volumes for Gerrard that at 3-2 down with less than 10 minutes remaining I was still confident we wouldn’t lose.

Reactions: TQ3
Gerrard has the same number of European games as Rodgers but the difference between their results is incredible. Did they only make the CL once under him or was it two?

Reactions: TQ3
Love the way the gaffer played his part down saying he doesn’t want to be spoke about the same way as smith n praised the team for doing well. Absolute class act

Don't know if this has already been posted but just mentioned that on STV Sport.

23 wins for both Stevie and Walter, Advocaat in 3rd place with 22 wins.

That is amazing in just 3 years.
I don't think it is comparable. We could win a cup in 1972 beating an average French team, good Portuguese, top notch German and Russian teams. That is better than beating some of the poor teams we have to play now in those qualifying rounds.

Phenomenal achievement for a rookie.
Who took over a car wreck. That’s a ridiculous stat. My worry is now that if we land the title and get through another round in EL he will seriously start to impress potential suitors. if Klopp has a bad season next year I think the reds might come chapping!

All the more impressive considering what Stevie took on.
He has raised our profile in Europe way beyond my expectations.

Who took over a car wreck. That’s a ridiculous stat. My worry is now that if we land the title and get through another round in EL he will seriously start to impress potential suitors. if Klopp has a bad season next year I think the reds might come chapping!
If he wins the Title, he can do whatever the fxck he wants.

A long way to go yet......
No Champions League ties in there.....

Yet .

Feeel that's comin' though.

Outstanding record for just 3 years at the club in my opinion.

In addition, and as others have noted, it is all the more impressive given the condition of the first team and group when Gerrard and his management team took over.

Impressive stats. The 12% loss is fantastic and shows how hard to beat we are. I remember PLG had us doing well in European competition perhaps we should have kept him as manager for European games only. I am glad the gaffer was humble when compared to Walter. I would not expect anything less and was nice he aknowledged the little general too. Stevie G may not have grew up as a Rangers fan but he most certainly is a Rangers man now and will be when he leaves the club.

Back