Strangely happy despite going out

The big difference for me is the vast improvement we've made from last season.
We've had a great run in Europe that nobody expected and we're within touching distance of topping the league.
If you'd offered me this position this time last year I'd have bitten your hand off.
As Gerrard has said all along, we're nowhere near the finished article and there will be a few bumps in the road but I'm sure that most Rangers fans will agree, we're on the right track and are making substantial progress!

Now that we’re out of Europe there’s no excuse not to win the league.

People will say the gulf between us and Pacific Shelf is still too great, but we’ve already reached the top of the table this season and that was when we had Europa League games to contend with too.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot win the title this season. That must be the aim now.

Sorry that's not right at all. We're huge underdogs to win the league.

Actually challenging them for the league will be progress.

The progress is evident. 14 games in Europe and going in to the last ten minutes of the last game with a chance.

The manager and players deserve tremendous credit.

Domestically, I haven't seen any evidence that we are ready to mount a serious challenge, however, that can change quickly and we're hardly adrift.

Let's put Hamilton to the sword and take it from there.

Like the OP, I'm happy.

Sorry that's not right at all. We're huge underdogs to win the league.

Actually challenging them for the league will be progress.

We’re underdogs yes, but I think “huge underdogs” is over-egging it a bit. I understand the pessimism- we have just been knocked out of Europe after an uninspiring performance - but being able to focus on the league may actually prove to be a silver lining.

As for challenging them - we are already doing that. They aren’t running away with the league, far from it. It’s only a couple of weeks ago since we were top of the pile, and - whilst it’ll take some big performances from ourselves and some of Celtic’s opponents - it’s perfectly plausible that we might be top of the league again heading into 2019.

We mustn’t fall into the mindset of thinking that whenever we have a bit of a wobble in the league mid-season that it means our title challenge is over. It’s hysterical nonsense. We have dropped points - so have they. And they will continue to do so.

They have to go to Easter Road and Pittodrie before they visit us. I firmly expect them to drop points before they come to Ibrox.

Our challenge over the next couple of weeks is to win every game before we face them. Hard yes, impossible no.

We all know that whenever anyone puts pressure on them, they panic. They’ve had it far too easy over the last seven years and this is the season we need to end that - not next season, THIS season.

We’re underdogs yes, but I think “huge underdogs” is over-egging it a bit. I understand the pessimism- we have just been knocked out of Europe after an uninspiring performance - but being able to focus on the league may actually prove to be a silver lining.

As for challenging them - we are already doing that. They aren’t running away with the league, far from it. It’s only a couple of weeks ago since we were top of the pile, and - whilst it’ll take some big performances from ourselves and some of Celtic’s opponents - it’s perfectly plausible that we might be top of the league again heading into 2019.

We mustn’t fall into the mindset of thinking that whenever we have a bit of a wobble in the league mid-season that it means our title challenge is over. It’s hysterical nonsense. We have dropped points - so have they. And they will continue to do so.

They have to go to Easter Road and Pittodrie before they visit us. I firmly expect them to drop points before they come to Ibrox.

Our challenge over the next couple of weeks is to win every game before we face them. Hard yes, impossible no.

We all know that whenever anyone puts pressure on them, they panic. They’ve had it far too easy over the last seven years and this is the season we need to end that - not next season, THIS season.

I like your optimism. I wouldn't call my view pessimism tho, and it's nothing to do with last night, I'm actually really encouraged by our European run. We're making progress.

But the bottom line is that when Celtic click into gear - and they will - they'll run away from us. We're going to need a full season or 2 to find the same consistency they have. The only chance we have of winning the league this season is to win every game between now and 29th December, and then not losing to them at Ibrox. I can't see us doing either, never mind both.

I was disappointed as I thought we where the better side last night and the chance was there. But hey ho it is what it is, we got further than most of us expected when the qualifiers started.

Now we can hopefully get the boys back to the high pressing high tempo football we where served up at the start of the campaign as it looks like the amount of games finally caught up with them, they are a shadow of the team who started the season.

We are still on the right path despite being knocked off form the last few weeks. Gerrard will strengthen us over the next two transfer windows and next season we will be back and even more prepared for a shot at Europe.

Nah, the chance was never there because we don't make chances. How many real, bona fide chances did we make last night? The simple reason is we don't have the creative players to do so.

Overall, we have never won anything other than ONE game at home in any European group section, at best, in what is now 26 years of trying. And by feck we are trying. But that's not SG's fault.

We need to judge the reality of what has happened and is still happening to us. That's not SG's fault either.

As for what, or who are the OTT merchants on FF with regards the negative. In contrast, are they really any worse than the OTT merchants who howl at the moon after a couple of good results?

This season we've had Tav rated at £15m
Could we play Kent in a Laudrup type role?
That's just the madness that comes straight to mind.

It's embarrassing.

I keep hearing we're a work in progress. Domestically there's not been much.

I also have got to ask, how many points did our supposed high tempo game get us away from home at the start of the season? And then there's the away league performances overall? Not one game has been satisfactory.

Now, if people would say SG is, is, is the work in progress and we have to give him time, then that is a fair point.

But when he's made out to be working wonders when in reality our results are saying a different thing, then we're always going to have conflict on here.

In saying that we could win on Sunday and the filth lose, we'll have the usual subjects saying things ain't so bad.

Yes they are and until our own problems are solved, and only the manager can do that, they will remain.

Now, I'm away to give you all peace.

im still struggling with the idea that being out of the EL is good for us because we dont have to play one more game and that for some reason will mean we win more league games, is Tav for some reason so irreplaceable we cant play without him?

Ffs, nobody is HAPPY about being out, we are ALL disappointed at being out of Europe BUT, now we are and there is nothing we can do......it will help us going forward.

Jeez, apologies if I am being abrupt but half of our support seem to think there is a massive agenda......it’s happened and we are looking at it from now going forward!

We do need to get back to winning ways, we have been inconsistent so far, and 1 point from the last 3 games, including Rapid, isn’t good enough.

We competed with three top clubs in Europe after coming through 4 tough ties in qualifiers.

Every game in the group stage could have swung our way with a bit of luck.

The team have that experience in the bag and will grow from it. Remember it's still a young squad newly thrown together.

Last two league results have annoyed me, mainly because we know we are better. Still a bit inconsistent but we've made great gains this season.

Europe has been a nice surprise and a great adventure. Let's appreciate what the team achieved and support them into a big domestic push from now until the end of the season.

We competed with three top clubs in Europe after coming through 4 tough ties in qualifiers, really?

Villareal have slipped a bit but have some pedigree but Spartak & Rapid are run of the mill europa dross. We have came on leaps and bounds and qualification was an excellent achievement from where we were at the end of last season. And it is a learning process with a new squad and rookie manager, we will get there.

In the group we lost out to mediocrity but we will be better prepared for such a schedule next time.

Back