Strongest team for the run in

KingDado

gone see sowt but I’m fu Jed up ii. N the beefa
Yes there will be rotation and managed time for certain players but I think we need to get continuity with the below in the main as much as we possibly can.

Let Tav and Sterling build a right sided partnership given our lack of options for a definite winger option on one side. Also would be our best option for the right side at the Glitterdhome.

————————Butland

Sterling—Goldson—Souttar—Yilmaz

——Lundstram—-Lawrence/Diomande

Tavernier———Cantwell——-Sima

————————-Dessers

Butland

Tav Goldson Souttar Yilmaz

Lundstram Dio/Lawrence

Sterling Cantwell Sima

Dessers.

Not a fan of Sterling right wing in the run of the mill fixtures, but our options are almost non-existent unless you move Sima out there and put Matondo/Silva on the left.

I would honestly reward Matondo with some starts while his confidence is high. And I just can't bring myself round to Souttar, think he's poor on the ball under pressure.

Butland
Tav Goldson Balogun Ridvan
Sterling Lundstram
Sima Cantwell Matondo
Dessers

Also, while I like Diomande, I think Sterling absolutely must play every match he's available for. His ball winning and athleticism are incredible.

Yes there will be rotation and managed time for certain players but I think we need to get continuity with the below in the main as much as we possibly can.

Let Tav and Sterling build a right sided partnership given our lack of options for a definite winger option on one side. Also would be our best option for the right side at the Glitterdhome.

————————Butland

————————-Dessers

You’re smoking crack if you think Mr Clement is dropping the club captain.

Because a title run in maybe isn’t the best time to start mental experiments?
Agree with the timing aspect, now is not the time.

Point being though he does all his good work in the final third. All his failings are defensive errors. Pushing him one up then maybe not as "mental" as you suggest.

Not a single manager has played Tav anywhere else but right back in all the years he's been here.

Why do people think it's a good idea? It's fucking stupid.

Why is it stupid though? He ends up in the position mostly anyway when we push forward. It would reduce the chances of the mistakes he has in him leading to directly front of goals. And he's still out wide with the whole game in front of him so his lack of peripheral vision in central areas (in evidence when he drifted inside with the ball on Sunday and kept getting dispossessed) isn't a factor.
I'm not saying make it his position for every game but surely in the OF games where his defensive frailties have been exposed time and again it has to be worth working on? Especially with seemingly the perfect foil for him on that side with Sterling?
So why it is such a ludicrous suggestion?

To play Dundee I’d go with
…………….Butland
…….Lundstram Sterling
Sima……..Cantwell… Matondo
……………Dessers

I think the front 4 earned their places vs Celtc on Sunday.
Sterling is our find of the season and putting him in alongside Lundstram is his perfect position.
Subs, I’d have Silva, Lawrence Diomande and McCausland set up to come on around 60 minutes for the tired legs on show.

Butland

Lundstram Dio/Lawrence

Sterling Cantwell Sima

Dessers.

Not a fan of Sterling right wing in the run of the mill fixtures, but our options are almost non-existent unless you move Sima out there and put Matondo/Silva on the left.
Sima looked good on the right on Sunday. I’d stick him there, with Silva/Matondo in the left.

————————Butland

————————-Dessers
I give up!

One of the amazing things on here when people are predicting what our team could be is the amount of people that change our formation. The manager has played the same 4-2-3-1 formation since he arrived and people keep predicting a 4-3-3. I find it funny. Cause guess what it never is.

————————Butland

————————-Dessers
I'd go with Butland in place of Dessers.

I shudder to think how some folk would perform on football manager.

Strongest team, then proceeds to move our best and most productive player out of position. o_O

As for Sterling RW. I don't mind it in tougher games, away in Edinburgh etc
But for the likes of Dundee etc I would be wanting Matondo/McCausland/Sima/Wright out wide.

Why is it stupid though? He ends up in the position mostly anyway when we push forward. It would reduce the chances of the mistakes he has in him leading to directly front of goals. And he's still out wide with the whole game in front of him so his lack of peripheral vision in central areas (in evidence when he drifted inside with the ball on Sunday and kept getting dispossessed) isn't a factor.
I'm not saying make it his position for every game but surely in the OF games where his defensive frailties have been exposed time and again it has to be worth working on? Especially with seemingly the perfect foil for him on that side with Sterling?
Totally agree. He is the highest scoring defender in Britain what does that then go on to become when he is moved up one. Especially when you are putting one of our best players behind him to form a partnership on that side. It instantly becomes a solid side of the pitch which has been found wanting most of the season. It’s not a mental experiment as it’s not foreign to either of them how to play they positions.

For 1 game only at Parkhead

butland
sterling goldson soutter yilmaz
lundstram diomande cantwell
mcausland sima silva

Can I just get this right...

For one game only, the most difficult fixture on our calendar, and possibly a potential league decider, you want to drop our captain and biggest goal threat?

As in play him before and after that match, but not that match itself?

Stop it mate.

Not a single manager has played Tav anywhere else but right back in all the years he's been here.

Why do people think it's a good idea? It's fucking stupid.
Clement at the start was actually looking to push Tav up at one point, sure he even tried it towards the end of one game. Then injuries totally ravaged us.

Butland

Tav
Goldson
Souttar
Ridvan

Sterling
Lundstram

Sima
Cantwell
Matondo

Dessers

The Lundstram/Dio partnership isn’t working I’m afraid - we’re just not good enough all round yet to have Dio playing so far up the pitch. We need Lundstram dictating play and Sterling breaking things up and dropping in to help our brain farting defenders.

Unless Goldson improves I’d be dropping him for Balogun too - he’s costing too many goals, and doesn’t have the Tav’s ability to score goals to make up for what he costs us. To be fair to Goldson, I would say his lack of a pre-season (pretty much coming straight from the treatment table on to the pitch for a CL qualifier) has caught up with him.

Silva is just too ineffective, and Scott Wright just isn’t up to standard.

By God do we need some luck with injuries.

It's been 9 years and half a dozen managers but every now and again someone on here thinks they've cracked it and Tav should be played as a winger

The team that finishes the game is just as important as the team that starts the game nowadays and half the outfield players will most likely have been changed by then. I understand the importance of starting well, but the objective is to win and it's a 90 - 100 minute game. I think a massive part of management now is managing the matchday squad most effectively for each game and suspect the who and when for 2 or 3 of the subs is decided before a ball is kicked. I genuinely think a week-in week-out 'strongest starting 11' is becoming a thing of the past.

Butland

Tav Goldson Souttar Ridvan

Lundstram Dio/Sterling

Sima/Sterling Cantwell Silva/Matondo

Dessers/Sima​

Sterling is best on the right or as a central midfielder. Sima needs to play, whether that's out wide or up front. Matondo, despite his last two goals, isn't consistent enough. He needs to play on the left though, and can be rotated with Silva. The worry is neither Matondo or Sima have 90 minutes in them.
I'd be tempted to drop either centre half for Balogun right now, which is why I'm not the manager.
Lawrence, Dowell, McCausland, Roofe (???), Raskin, Wright are options off the bench.

People who say 'put Tav up one' just don't understand how different a discipline is having the whole game in front of you and having to receive on half turn and make runs in behind.

We've been in a great rein of form I wouldn't change anything, just try slowly integrate Sima back into the squad and hope the fitness concerns of a lot of these players are behind us.

I would doubt we see a consistent 11.

Depth is what likely wins us it, they just about have a better starting 11 but not much behind it, we have a squad, we will use that to our advantage.

Something that was really evidenced on Sunday

This, except remove Silva completely and replace with Matondo.
I think Matondo's absence from the team and his last two goals have made people forget how poor he was beforehand.

I think Silva is far from the finished article but starts before Matondo for me. We aren't going to be playing against many teams who open up and allow us to utilise Matondos pace.

I do get the argument to start one of our own players over a loan player though.

You want to take a 32 year old full back, that lacks pace and can't beat a man and put him on the right of a front 3, a position that he's never played, a total experiment in the biggest game of the season, and you are asking why it's a ludicrous suggestion? Are you having a laugh?

If it's such a good idea, why hasn't any of the previous managers, with over 100 years of experience in football, guy's that have won champions league medals, played in world cup finals and coached Chelsea u19s, why have not a single one of them tried it?

It's a stupid idea.

You want to take a 32 year old full back, that lacks pace and can't beat a man and put him on the right of a front 3, a position that he's never played, a total experiment in the biggest game of the season, and you are asking why it's a ludicrous suggestion? Are you having a laugh?

If it's such a good idea, why hasn't any of the previous managers, with over 100 years of experience in football, guy's that have won champions league medals, played in world cup finals and coached Chelsea u19s, why have not a single one of them tried it?

It's a stupid idea.

At no point did I say put him in a front 3. Would be really useful if you read what I actually said. I'm talking about adjusting his position for certain games where his lack of pace is clearly an issue and has cost us dearly in the past. It might not happen in the next OF but would you be happy to leave him comfortable in his immovable role as RB and watch him suffer again like he did yesterday? It's equally ludicrous to ignore the glaring obvious which is Tav seriously struggles with the defensive side of this fixture in particular because Celtic know they have the players to kill him on that side. Is it that bonkers to suggest that a player like Sterling with far greater pace and athleticism can sit in at right back and move Tav just ahead of him where he can affect the game going forward without having to worry as much about someone like Maeda waiting to pounce on him?

Yes he's 32 years old...most players when they get to a certain age adapt their positions or their style of play to mask certain weaknesses that might creep into their game as they get older. Are you suggesting Tav doesn't have the intelligence to adapt his game to prolong his first team prospects? If so then he'll continue at right back and continue to have his lack of pace exposed and embarrassed more and more in OFs and in big European games as his pace continues to decline.

I've no idea why previous managers haven't done it. I'm not professing to know better. I'm just a fan with an opinion. But he's getting older and his pace or lack of is only going get worse and therefore his defensive issues will only become more exaggerated. He's been a revelation for the club but it's not unreasonable to suggest a modification of his role at the club is likely if he's to continue as a first teamer for a few more years yet.

I think Matondo's absence from the team and his last two goals have made people forget how poor he was beforehand.

I think Silva is far from the finished article but starts before Matondo for me. We aren't going to be playing against many teams who open up and allow us to utilise Matondos pace.

I do get the argument to start one of our own players over a loan player though.
He goes in ahead of Silva every time for me now. Seen enough of Silva to say that he's not good enough. That also doesn't say much about Matondo or Wright.

It's a blessing to have Sima back right now.

Anybody think it would be worth trying Sima through the middle again, now we are under Clement? Think he was tried out there earlier in season (under Beale?). Just a thought but maybe he is better applied there as he seems to be the biggest goal threat from our forwards. Maybe Silva on left in his place...

My strongest team would be:

Yilmaz

Sima Dessers Butland Lawrence

McCrorie

Tav Goldson

Barisic Lundstram Souttar

Thinking is:

Yilmaz looks like he can jump quire high so will be a good keeper.

There's a bit of everything in that back 4 plus Butland will be allowed to use his hands in the box if he wears his gloves so be less of these VAR penalties.

McCrorie will be decent at CDM because his brother played there.

Tav and Goldson can use their attributes further forwards.

Barisic can cut in and get shots away from right wing.

Souttar can play the Lee McCulloch role knocking down the long diagonals.

Lundstrum because you can't leave Lundstram out.

He goes in ahead of Silva every time for me now. Seen enough of Silva to say that he's not good enough. That also doesn't say much about Matondo or Wright.

It's a blessing to have Sima back right now.
I have also seen enough of Matondo to know he 100% isn't the answer. Silva undoubtedly has more talent but I agree he isn't the answer either. Sima and Cortes would've been the answer albeit for his injury.

At no point did I say put him in a front 3. Would be really useful if you read what I actually said. I'm talking about adjusting his position for certain games where his lack of pace is clearly an issue and has cost us dearly in the past. It might not happen in the next OF but would you be happy to leave him comfortable in his immovable role as RB and watch him suffer again like he did yesterday? It's equally ludicrous to ignore the glaring obvious which is Tav seriously struggles with the defensive side of this fixture in particular because Celtic know they have the players to kill him on that side. Is it that bonkers to suggest that a player like Sterling with far greater pace and athleticism can sit in at right back and move Tav just ahead of him where he can affect the game going forward without having to worry as much about someone like Maeda waiting to pounce on him?

Yes he's 32 years old...most players when they get to a certain age adapt their positions or their style of play to mask certain weaknesses that might creep into their game as they get older. Are you suggesting Tav doesn't have the intelligence to adapt his game to prolong his first team prospects? If so then he'll continue at right back and continue to have his lack of pace exposed and embarrassed more and more in OFs and in big European games as his pace continues to decline.

I've no idea why previous managers haven't done it. I'm not professing to know better. I'm just a fan with an opinion. But he's getting older and his pace or lack of is only going get worse and therefore his defensive issues will only become more exaggerated. He's been a revelation for the club but it's not unreasonable to suggest a modification of his role at the club is likely if he's to continue as a first teamer for a few more years yet.
Mate, if you want to argue that we should play Sterling ahead of Tav, then fine, there's logic in that, even if it's unlikely to happen but I don't know what you mean when you say play Tav just ahead of him. We have full backs, then we have wide players. We play with a front 3.

We don't play Tav wide for the same reason we don't play Barisic wide. He's a full back. If Sterling is a better option in certain fixtures, then Tav can sit on the bench.

Anybody think it would be worth trying Sima through the middle again, now we are under Clement? Think he was tried out there earlier in season (under Beale?). Just a thought but maybe he is better applied there as he seems to be the biggest goal threat from our forwards. Maybe Silva on left in his place...
Sima is the only safe bet for goals from the wide areas we have. I'd rather he played out there to be honest.

And whatever Brighton want for him, write the cheque.

Back