Sunderland’s Fan Forum Reaction to Defoe

2n1uxk8.jpg

Interesting summary from a guy who didn't want him back. We aren't struggling so not really a worry, but it does back up the theory we need to change our formation if we play Defoe.

Defoe is a great natural finisher and a talented footballer, but he doesn't have the physical skills to hold the ball up or the energy/pace to cause problems as a lone striker. That severely limits how effective he can be, as most teams try to play with 1 up front now. We ended up in the 'Defoe trap' in one sense. The myth that all we needed was a single 15-20 goal striker was exactly that. To play with a guy up front who can't run all day and drag defenders around, doesn't have the pace to cause problems on the break... in some ways we'd have been better off with a 'lesser' player who was less potent in front of goal but who brought others into play more. Not to mention that his awareness that he was the best player in the team led to a bit of a 'shoot on sight' policy and lack of trust in teammates. We didn't have many good players, but he wasn't the type of player who would just fit into any old system. You have to be in desperation mode and as Bournemouth have found, there's rarely a point in any PL game nowadays where you can put a 36yr old guy on as a poacher and not see him marked out of the game. I enjoyed his goals, but deep down he was the wrong player to play up top on his own in a struggling team.

There are obsessed tims everywhere man :D fuckin idiots on that thread saying "He's dead to me" and "How are they paying his wages, shirt sales up here won't cover it and Ashley will do them in court over the injunction".

Hilarious :D

Only guy talking sense on the thread asking why Sky are acting like it's a huge shock he's lowering himself from Bournemouth to Rangers when we're 100x bigger than Bournemouth

Sunderland are the only club I’ve ever been to watch where I’ve came back with a negative opinion. Cunts tried to haggle with us for a ticket for Sunderland v Newcastle 10 mins before kick off. Tramps.

Having watched 'Sunderland 'til I Die' on Netflix (enjoyed it hugely, btw,) I won't be ingesting the opinions of any Sunderland fans today, thank you very much.

My favourite is on page 10 by a poster called Bowers2.

I’m afraid to say he is joining a club mate and it’s the famous Glasgow Rangers.

To be fair, for every negative comment about us, there are probably 2 positive comments.

Sunderland are still a shitty irrelevance of a club right enough.

Like every football forum you have good posters and bad posters

You can take a lot of with a pinch of salt as well

Not register to post on that but I do view it everyday

The club did try to get him on loan last summer but it didn't happen

Always had a slight hatred of Sunderland and clubs aroud that similar ilk. They win absolutely f*ck all but think because they played in the Premier League they are brilliant.

Always had a slight hatred of Sunderland and clubs aroud that similar ilk. They win absolutely f*ck all but think because they played in the Premier League they are brilliant.

after back to back relegations and 2 record breaking low points totals I can assure that absolutely no-one in Sunderland thinks we're brilliant. Utterly ridiculous comment to be honest.

we're just enjoying a season of more than 1 win at home. That's not a crime.

after back to back relegations and 2 record breaking low points totals I can assure that absolutely no-one in Sunderland thinks we're brilliant. Utterly ridiculous comment to be honest.

Yeah now after years scraping safety in the premier league.

The attitude I got from your fans in that Netflix documentaty was bizzare considering you've won nothing of note for about 50 years.

I dont mind sunderland to be fair.

Cracking night out too, like a sluttier newcastle:D

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/defoe-allowed-to-leave.1456931/

please if you have 10 mins to spare I implore you to read this thread which was started yesterday....

From

‘It’s happening isn’t it...Netflix might even pay his wages’

To

‘OMFG how can he be choosing them over us’ this is insane

A lot of positive nice comments from decent Mackems on there. The token few fuds throwing in their tuppence. Need to get more stocks of Union Flag pillows down there pronto.

I remember, almost, a great trip down there. Butcher's testimonial I think. Nice ground and thought the Mackems were a good laugh.

Sunderland are my English team; mackems will instantly know why. They'll be gutted. JD is rightly venerated in the NE for his goal-scoring & his humanity.
Need to get him match sharp pronto. JD should help Alfie's development, increasing his value to us. He clearly won't play every game, but just seeing him in our colours will be fantastic.
You can smell the fear in the east now. Stevo arriving too would force Liewell's hand & spike DD's wallet.

Back