Super Ally

archimedes

Reading the other thread about McCoist's comments on TalkSport, I'm delighted to see how much he is backing the club these days and sticking up for us and promoting us in the media.

I wonder what goes through his mind though when he sees Gerrard doing so well at the club?

Does he think "That could have been me", or does he know deep down that he never had the professionalism and determination that Gerrard has?

Admittedly, McCoist was manager at the worst possible time, when we had a board that was intent on raping the club for every penny it could, and football opponents, aided by the corrupt football authorities in this country who were determined to keep us 'nailed to the floor'.
However, I don't think he helped himself with his Gangnam style dancing, his Karaokes and target practice against his bare arse, followed by his gardening leave escapade.
I just think his overall attitude wasn't one which befits the position of manager of Rangers.

I have mellowed a bit towards him recently because of his stance now, but at the time I was actually pretty pissed off with him.
He had a great opportunity to become an even bigger legend than he already was at the club, but I think his lack of professionalism really let him down. He had the buffer zone of operating in the lower leagues and the perfect opportunity to build a team (and a system) gradually that would be capable of challenging eventually.

I really wish he had been the guy who was in the dugout right now, pushing us towards our legendary 55th title.

His name would have lived forever if he'd only had the right work ethic and attitude.

Mccoists commentary v Celtic and Aberdeen was shocking imo

however he has a national platform on ts and uses this most of the time to bank the club abs knife the sharks

he will always be a legend as a player

as a manager he was a disaster on the park and great off the park

love the guy

Reading the other thread about McCoist's comments on TalkSport, I'm delighted to see how much he is backing the club these days and sticking up for us and promoting us in the media.

I wonder what goes through his mind though when he sees Gerrard doing so well at the club?

Does he think "That could have been me", or does he know deep down that he never had the professionalism and determination that Gerrard has?

Admittedly, McCoist was manager at the worst possible time, when we had a board that was intent on raping the club for every penny it could, and football opponents, aided by the corrupt football authorities in this country who were determined to keep us 'nailed to the floor'.
However, I don't think he helped himself with his Gangnam style dancing, his Karaokes and target practice against his bare arse, followed by his gardening leave escapade.
I just think his overall attitude wasn't one which befits the position of manager of Rangers.

I have mellowed a bit towards him recently because of his stance now, but at the time I was actually pretty pissed off with him.
He had a great opportunity to become an even bigger legend than he already was at the club, but I think his lack of professionalism really let him down. He had the buffer zone of operating in the lower leagues and the perfect opportunity to build a team (and a system) gradually that would be capable of challenging eventually.

I really wish he had been the guy who was in the dugout right now, pushing us towards our legendary 55th title.

His name would have lived forever if he'd only had the right work ethic and attpolar opposite and if Ally had the professionalism behind him as Stevie enjoys now he'd have been a success and I still feel gutted for him landing his dream job,next to playing at the worse time in Rangers history.

I’m not sure you are remembering the original position Super was placed in. He had no squad and wasn’t told they could play until the very last minute. Super was handicapped from there on in. He couldn’t have had a clear head or vision with everything swarming around him, strangers in the boardroom, having to fight to save the club. He had the hardest time to be Rangers manager, imo.
That said, he never seemed to get to grips with it, and kind of muddled on with little help, and no scouting.

He's in the role he should have always been in after Walter left - a wonderful ambassador for the club.

I too was very angry toward McCoist for a long time but it's gradually mellowed as we've become more resurgent.

He will always be a club Legend but for people of my generation who idolised him as child growing up, his lack of professionalism (when we arguably needed it most) as a Manager left a sour taste.

I’m not sure you are remembering the original position Super was placed in. He had no squad and wasn’t told they could play until the very last minute. Super was handicapped from there on in. He couldn’t have had a clear head or vision with everything swarming around him, strangers in the boardroom, having to fight to save the club. He had the hardest time to be Rangers manager, imo.
That said, he never seemed to get to grips with it, and kind of muddled on with little help, and no scouting.
Prior to that wasnt good.
Walter gave him the cup games and ended up having to sort it himself.
Its no wonder mcdowell and ally never went back into management.

A pal of ours worked at Ibrox at the time. She said he held the club together 2012-14 while numerous individuals we’re intent on damaging us.

Allegedly he did stop the titles being stripped when Petrie offered Green our licence in exchange for forfeiture.

Gerrards seems to have that drive for success, it was a massive job to rebuild the club. Gerrards done so much more than getting a good side on the park should we really be where we are the now in terms of the mess we were in,i dont know.

One of the best players in our history.
Bad manager but he was under severe stress and never had real backing compared to other managers.

As a pundit he really nees to stop pandering to the rats. Its embarrassing.

Love super and indeed he loves the Rangers ,just wish he would be himself
and don't pander to political correctness when on commentary.

As a player he will always be a hero to generations of rangers fans
His time as manager won’t be remembered fondly by a large amount of our fans
He done his best in circumstances that no rangers hero should have ever been subjected too

If he's honest with himself he'll know he just isn't cut out for management. Not at that level anyway.
Agree.

Where he was invaluable however, was being there at a time when the Scottish footballing authorities were trying to hold our feet over the fire & accept title and trophy stripping as a condition for getting our playing licence back.

Where Chuckles Green would have sold us down the river, McCoist rightly stood his ground.

I hope one day McCoist puts it all down on paper and exposes these fucking rat bags and their attempts at flogging our club to death.

When he’s in Scotland he talks us down, when he’s in London he talks us up. I love Ally more than any player by far, but his opinions on us can be all over the place.

A legend as a goal scorer, but pretty much everything else has been a mixed bag.

He was never cut out to be a manager and that much was obvious from results and performances when he was given the reigns for cup matches under Walter's tutelage. I have often wondered what he did during that period to justify getting the job. His punditry is like my garden. You have no idea what he might throw up next. Occasionally great in terms of his support for the club (or maybe more accurately, his criticism of them), but just as frequently totally negative and counter-productive especially when it comes to players he has issues with.

How do you think Gerrard would have done given the utter shambles the club was when Super was manager?

Prior to that wasnt good.
Walter gave him the cup games and ended up having to sort it himself.
Its no wonder mcdowell and ally never went back into management.
I wanted to be proven wrong but thought it spoke volumes in one of those cup games when we were down a goal to Hamilton (IIRC) & he was over at the side of the dugout having a great laugh with the squad at the barrier. Cracking jokes & having a ball, not paying the slightest bit of attention to the game.

Great guy but never a manager.

That was McCoist’s second season

Reactions: TQ3
I loved Ally McCoist, my hero growing up, my hamster (Super Ally) was a testament to that.

I don’t hold the fact that he was and terrible manager against him, some people just aren’t cut out for it.

Unfortunately I can’t see past certain decisions he made away from the pitch.

His commentary grates at times, as does his disdain for Morelos in particular, but he’s better than any other regular co-commentator in Scottish football, which isn’t saying much to be honest.

Plenty will disagree with a couple of the above points but they’re my personal opinions.

Spot on,who can say for certain that Ally with the same backing as Stevie's now getting wouldn't have been a success. I feel gutted for him landing his dream job at the worse possible time and God only knows what was going on behind his back.

I loved Ally McCoist, my hero growing up, my hamster (Super Ally) was a testament to that.

I don’t hold the fact that he was and terrible manager against him, some people just aren’t cut out for it.

Unfortunately I can’t see past certain decisions he made away from the pitch.

His commentary grates at times, as does his disdain for Morelos in particular, but he’s better than any other regular co-commentator in Scottish football, which isn’t saying much to be honest.

Plenty will disagree with a couple of the above points but they’re my personal opinions.
Is that the same Morelos he gave man of the match to on Sunday?

McCoist spent a great deal of time as assistant to Walter and I think he struggled to adjust from someone who as assistant would still have had a laugh and joke during training to a manager role where that doesn’t fit.

His personality probably makes that transition hard as well.

Wrong time wrong place for ally, SG. is a very different person from ally, thank goodness, as said above he did save our club from what I believe would have been total destruction, with spivs, screwing every thing not nailed down, we all remember those years and we must never forget, what was done to our beloved, club, by the law and every other sod, who wanted a kick.

All the time in the world for Ally and he’s normally an excellent pundit or co-commentator, but by %^*& did he have some bad takes at the weekend.

Never mind the ongoing slights against Morelos, but he was criticising Rangers for playing slow and losing tempo after the Sheep goal even though it was quite clearly an instruction from Gerrard to calm down and reset.

He expects more from certain players, especially knowing what they are capable of.
But so do I and I understand why.
Expecting more does not mean anti Rangers, it means he wants success.

Some people can't handle our players being criticised no matter how poorly they do, rather than being a realist, which I find a little strange but each to their own. He's also absolutely full of praise when they do well.

Being a Ranger doesn't mean accepting less from players clearly capable of more without comment, for me anyway it's damn frustrating seeing a player worth £20m perform like he's worth a tenth of that.

Thankfully in his last performance, Morelos gave us a glimpse of his true ability and he'll kick on and show give us plenty more to cheer about, like he has in the past.

Last edited:
Wrong time wrong place for Ally, I think both he and John Grieg were both victims of their success as players. I think neither of them would have said no given their loyalties to the club. However neither of them proved to anywhere are good as managers at they were as players

As truffle shuffle says he is wanting more from players, as he knows what they can do.
Some of the folk above seem to think Ally is employed by Sky and Talk Sport to be our fanboy, he is a pundit and a very good one, he is loved all over the UK for his style of co-commentry.
If you can't take someone being critical of our players then you turn the volume down.
He is now employed by these companys to speak his mind on the game, can you imagine how boring it would be if it was all praise and he wasn't being realistic.

As truffle shuffle says he is wanting more from players, as he knows what they can do.
Some of the folk above seem to think Ally is employed by Sky and Talk Sport to be our fanboy, he is a pundit and a very good one, he is loved all over the UK for his style of co-commentry.
If you can't take someone being critical of our players then you turn the volume down.
He is now employed by these companys to speak his mind on the game, can you imagine how boring it would be if it was all praise and he wasn't being realistic.
Who’s saying that?

I personally have no problem with pundits being critical of Rangers or individual players as long as it’s justified.

Let’s not try and rewrite history.

I think you are getting mixed up, he took over a team that had just won a league and cup double, was in the group stages of the Champions League drawing with one of the previous years finalists, got to the last 16 of the Europa league, and turned us in to a farce. Out of Europe twice before August was done. 4 European ties against Malmo and Maribor and never won any ! We were ranked about 34 in Europe, in today’s money that is like getting pumped by a team from Gibraltar followed up by San Marino.

He wasted his transfer budget by signing the likes of Celik, Bedoya, Ortiz, McKay and the biggest chunk on Wallace who we could have got for nothing the following season, which would have made sense given we had the best most consistent left back in the Country in Papac

The writing was on the wall watching the cup games Walter let him take charge of.

One of our best strikers ever, our worst Manager ever without doubt.

Some folk just aren’t cut out for Management.

Ally is a Rangers man. To the core. Who knows what was going on during the spivs tenure? It's been said, wrong time, wrong place, plus I don't think he was up to management at our level. I think he was a victim of caring too much. He was aging visibly by the week.
Super Ally then, now and forever.

Back