Supporters or Fans

BajanBear

Listening to BBC R5 this morning I heard a reference to "golf spectators" and it made me wonder what we refer to ourselves and what people going to watch other sporting events are referred to as.

I'm a Rangers supporter.

Golf - spectators

Rugby - crowd

EPL - customers

SPFL - fans

Motor racing - race goer

Horses - punter

Cricket - spectator

Darts - alky

You can tell it's an international break. Jesus.

Could say a supporter actually 'supports' the club, IE goes to games, buys merchandise etc whereas a fan is someone who simply likes to see them win.

The problem with that is that you'll get posers who buy all the stuff, go to the games, and yet still couldn't tell you a thing about the team.

But there will also be supporters who can't afford to get as much or only goes to the odd game who are die hards.

I prefer the word supporter to fan. Simple as that. I'd always ask someone who they support not who they are a fan of.

Generally speaking if someone said to me they were a Liverpool, Man Utd or Chelsea "fan" I'd be pretty sure they never went to games or really cared that much about it.

The problem with that is that you'll get posers who buy all the stuff, go to the games, and yet still couldn't tell you a thing about the team.

But there will also be supporters who can't afford to get as much or only goes to the odd game who are die hards.
Very fair point.

Could say a supporter actually 'supports' the club, IE goes to games, buys merchandise etc whereas a fan is someone who simply likes to see them win.
That, to me, is it in a chocolate covered Nutshell.
So by definition that'll make myself and the majority, if not all on FF, Supporters.
Thank You.

Listening to BBC R5 this morning I heard a reference to "golf spectators" and it made me wonder what we refer to ourselves and what people going to watch other sporting events are referred to as.

I'm a Rangers supporter.

Golf - spectators

Rugby - crowd

EPL - customers

SPFL - fans

Motor racing - race goer

Horses - punter

Cricket - spectator

Darts - alky

Dave King said that "supporters" support a team, by either going to the games, or supporting the team in some other manner, buying merchandise, shares, RTV subscription etc.

He said "fans" voice opinions, but contribute absolutely zero to the club, in a tangible way.

Supporters go to home games, as easy as that.

The diehard supporters follow the team everywhere.

Buying merchandise doesn’t make you a supporter. You could be decked out in the full Castore range but if you watch us from your armchair you’re not a supporter.

A fan is someone who doesn’t go to any games but favours us.

Buying merchandise doesn’t make you a supporter. You could be decked out in the full Castore range but if you watch us from your armchair you’re not a supporter.

What about our overseas fans and others that live a good distance from Ibrox, yet are MyGers members, have annual RTV subscription and shelled out dough for shares, not to mention buying merchandise?

Surely they're supporters of the club?

What about our overseas fans and others that live a good distance from Ibrox, yet are MyGers members, have annual RTV subscription and shelled out dough for shares, not to mention buying merchandise?

Surely they're supporters of the club?
They’re fans.

As I said supporters go to games.

Fanatics to me would know all there is to know about a club, its history, culture, players etc and attend games and buy merchandise.
If just going to games and buying merchandise makes you a supporter then do all the football tourists count as supporters?
I suppose it is about personnal choice as tbf I dont think one trumps the other as such.
I'd identify as a fanatical supporter

I'm a Rangers supporter.

Golf - spectators

Rugby - crowd

EPL - customers

SPFL - fans

Motor racing - race goer

Horses - punter

Cricket - spectator

Darts - alky

Howling at your darts shout haha

I don’t know about this argument mate. I travel over to every home game including midweeks. I get to a good few away games aswell. I know guys over here in NI who are just as big of supporters than me but they can’t get to games because of work patterns and family commitments. However I’d say through their merchandise etc sometimes they might even spend more money on the club than I do with my ST.

I do get the argument though of EPL fans. Chelsea, Man Utd fans etc who never ever go to matches but just watch on tv and there’s no reason why they can’t go to a few games a season

Does it really matter?

I go to about 10 games a season, buy a fair bit of merch (only official stuff) and enjoy reading about our history.

I know many that spend much more and many that cant afford too or have other priorities.

We all live Rangers

Simples

if it’s black and white I’d say a supporter is someone who directly puts money into the club via tickets, merchandise etc and a fan doesn’t.

This will leave some grey areas but I’d say a fan is someone who has the opportunity to attend matches and buy tickets but prioritises other things.

Does it really matter?

I go to about 10 games a season, buy a fair bit of merch (only official stuff) and enjoy reading about our history.

I know many that spend much more and many that cant afford too or have other priorities.

We all live Rangers

Simples
The Lounge has threads on people’s favourite crisps. Some things being discussed on a discussion forum don’t have to actually matter.

So a guy whose family emigrated as a boy but buys all the kits, signs up to RTV and MyGers etc is classed as a fan.
But a Cinese tourist who buys a scarf and goes to Ibrox is deemed higher in the pecking order as a supporter?
Not having that.
The problem with this “supporters” argument is these stories always come up. I’m not having a dig at you but every possible scenario of how someone can’t make it to see Rangers comes up.

I sympathise with their situation, but there’s thousands of us who have had the chance or still do to move abroad and start a fresh but just can’t. It would be too big a chunk out of our lives.

The problem with this “supporters” argument is these stories always come up. I’m not having a dig at you but every possible scenario of how someone can’t make it to see Rangers comes up.

I sympathise with their situation, but there’s thousands of us who have had the chance or still do to move abroad and start a fresh but just can’t. It would be too big a chunk out of our lives.
If people cant move due to their love of Rangerd I'd say that was fanatical. The short version being... fan. So kinda kills your theory.
Anyway I think its irrelevant. Fan, supporter, everyone eants to see Rangers succeed.

I class myself as a supporter.
I'm 52 and been going to Ibrox since I was a kid until recently. I buy the merchandise and therefore actively support the club. Unfortunately due to finances, my daughter now goes to Ibrox and also most away games.
Now some of you opinionated types will call me a non supporter or a 'fan'.
I would strongly disagree.

I class myself as a supporter.
I'm 52 and been going to Ibrox since I was a kid until recently. I buy the merchandise and therefore actively support the club. Unfortunately due to finances, my daughter now goes to Ibrox and also most away games.
Now some of you opinionated types will call me a non supporter or a 'fan'.
I would strongly disagree.
To me there is no difference in the terms, its splitting hairs.
People being labelled due to their geographic location or financial situation...
Everyone and Anyone though

people laugh at me when I say this but one thing that would put me off moving abroad would be missing getting to the games. Not getting to the games at the minute is killing me as it is a massive part of my life. I was travelling to Glasgow maybe 2/3 times a week, working my holidays round the matches and European games. I don’t know what to do with myself

travelling from NI it was more than getting to the match. It was about meeting up with my mates from all over for the day for a few beers and a catch up and getting to watch the match. It is a massive part of my life and always will be

Walking into the Ferry Inn and declaring to the entire pub that you are indeed a proud Rangers man makes you a supporter in my eyes.

If people cant move due to their love of Rangerd I'd say that was fanatical. The short version being... fan. So kinda kills your theory.
Anyway I think its irrelevant. Fan, supporter, everyone eants to see Rangers succeed.
My wife (no pics) has been at me for years for us to move abroad. I just couldn’t picture my life not going to the games. The lure of living in a warm climate and a lower cost of living is very appealing, but Rangers. has been a major part of my life for 60 odd years, and too important to me to make that sort of move.

Hoe many games do you need to attend to be a supporter, not a fan?

Is Dave King a supporter or fan? George Taylor? Julian Wolhardt? Stuart Gibson?

I can’t help think that their support has been invaluable.

My wife (no pics) has been at me for years for us to move abroad. I just couldn’t picture my life not going to the games. The lure of living in a warm climate and a lower cost of living is very appealing, but Rangers. has been a major part of my life for 60 odd years, and too important to me to make that sort of move.
Fair enough and I'm not criticising anyone for what they choose to do with their life.
I honestly dont see a distinction in the 2 terms and dont understand why everything has to be labelled.
Its minded numbing. You have folk falling out and arguing over what they call a slice / square/ lorne sausage.

Is it ok to class yourself as a Rangers man?

Or is it too much like the way they introduce themselves? "Aw right - Ahm Declan. Ahm a sellick man masel."

Asking for a friend.

Absolute pish.

What about someone whose had a season ticket for a number of years and then had to give it up due to commitments? Is that Supporter then relegated to fan status? Nonsense.

A Supporter is exactly what it says on the tin - someone who financially ‘supports’ the club.

Whether that be through season tickets, merchandise, membership, RTV etc

If a ‘fan’ in England spends a grand on club membership, club merchandise, RTV and whatever else through the course of the year are you more of a supporter than him because you paid £600 for a season ticket? No.

Supporter - Financially supports club in anyway they can afford.

Fan - Armchair fan. No financial commitment.

Last edited:
Is it ok to class yourself as a Rangers man?

Or is it too much like the way they introduce themselves? "Aw right - Ahm Declan. Ahm a sellick man masel."

Asking for a friend.
Not sure you'd get away with that in 2020. Maybe Rangers person??
Or say you identify as a Rangers he/him??
Seriously i don't see an issue what you call yourself. End of the day we all want Rangers to win and be successful how you identify within that isnt important.
Supporting the club as a Rangers man and being a fan is what its all about

Not sure you'd get away with that in 2020. Maybe Rangers person??
Or say you identify as a Rangers he/him??
Seriously i don't see an issue what you call yourself. End of the day we all want Rangers to win and be successful how you identify within that isnt important.
Supporting the club as a Rangers man and being a fan is what its all about
I'd forgot about the pc mob. :)) :)) :))

I'll stick to calling myself a Bear then.

It's really immaterial to be honest.
If you class a supporter as someone who goes to matches then here is my take.
How many supporters do we fit into Ibrox. 50 thousand. Therefore by logical thinking there are only 50 thousand Rangers "supporters".
Gimme peace. FFS.

It's really immaterial to be honest.
If you class a supporter as someone who goes to matches then here is my take.
How many supporters do we fit into Ibrox. 50 thousand. Therefore by logical thinking there are only 50 thousand Rangers "supporters".
Gimme peace. FFS.
That’s a fair point that I’ve never really thought about but to sensible I want arguments so take your reasonable thinking else where

Good post.

A supporter is someone who actually cares about the result, as opposed to whether they go or not. Ie the result affects their mood one way or another.

A fan is someone who although they might go or watch the game, they're not overly fussed one way or another about the result.

IMO of course.

Back