Surely Silva should be dropped

I've already said the same, our wide options are about as use as a chocolate tea pot right now. So instead of shoehorning players out of position why not try something different?
If he is so determined to play Silva play him up top, put Sterling into a 3 man CM and Cantwell as a roaming 10. Then let your width come from your fullbacks

Yes, i'm with you JW.

Midfield has been porous in recent weeks & we saw that again yesterday, albeit SJB had a few good saves. I'd like us to be more structured for parkhead & trying it out beforehand would make sense imo.

Agreed. Originally I was hopeful that Silva would be a good addition and early signs suggested so - good work rate, technique and link up play. But in reality over time it’s clear that he contributes very little in terms of tangible returns and his diving is embarrassing. Matondo, for all his limitations, would be a better option wide left. So would Lawrence, he can play there too.
Same here and especially after benfica away where he was terrific on the left I thought we had found his position but for weeks now he’s been abysmal.
As everyone says though injuries up top have killed us.

It's becoming increasingly obvious he has a clause in his contract with us that states he must start if he is fit.
He didn’t start against Hearts in the last two games, Motherwell, Ross County, Aberdeen or St Mirren and was fit on the bench in all of them.

We are just severely lacking wide options and don’t have much choice other than playing a youngster or changing formation (not that I’d be against those options).

What is Clement thinking about continually playing Silva.
Like Boydie said on Sky, what is he bringing to the game.
He was dropped the week before when we had Sima and Matondo available. Yesterday we had neither. Throughout this season, we've had players playing out of necessity rather choice. Not sure why people can't see that.

I'd rather a rotation of Roofe and a fit Lovelace and even Lawrence wide left for the next couple of games. Suspect we have some sort of minimum minutes clause in the loan.

Pretty sure he only played because of the injuries to Sima and Matondo. I think the semi final team is closest to the one Phil wants to put out there.

Won’t happen as managers nowadays are so stubborn to always play the same way but with the lack of wide options availible I think we’d be better off finding a way to go 2 up top tbh.

He’s fucking terrible, people say he’s being played out of position etc… he was pish when he was supposedly playing up front, his supposed position.

The chance in the first half when he was through on goal and took the extra touch which fucked the chance summed him up. A meh player with no finishing instincts, wouldn’t waste £2 million him.

He should be dropped but who do we play on his place?

Sima is fucked again.

Cortes is goosed.

Matondo looks equally lost when he starts games and gets injured every time somebody bangs into him.

Lawrence doesn’t have the legs.

Wright and McAusland are already struggling on the right hand side.

Simply can’t go to parkhead playing with ineffective wide players. Got to surely go 3-5-2 and try and win that midfield and go with dessers and matondo upfront . Need pace somewhere upfront to make them worry about the hall over the top

Souttar balogun goldson
Tav lundtram Sterling diomande and yilmaz
Matondo dessers

We played Sterling wide right yesterday, he spent the first half twenty yards in field, he never showed for Tav once out wide. The one time he did have the opportunity to run there full back he ran it straight out of play.

It was clearly the tactics from Clement to get the width from full backs, the first goal came from a Barisic cross, the second a Tav cross.
Yep, they're our main threat still. So we may as well play to their advantages. 2 strikers in the box would help.

A player who simply isn't interested as he knows he for the off. We can't trust these guys anymore when every game is a cup final from now till the end.

The same could be said for all of our available wide players. It’s a sorry state of affairs when we have a converted full back and striker operating out there, when we have wingers to trade on the bench.

We’re badly missing a fully fit Sima and Cortes would’ve been a nailed on starter for me by this stage if he’d stayed fit.

I've already said the same, our wide options are about as use as a chocolate tea pot right now. So instead of shoehorning players out of position why not try something different?
If he is so determined to play Silva play him up top, put Sterling into a 3 man CM and Cantwell as a roaming 10. Then let your width come from your fullbacks
Liking the sound of this more than what we've been watching recently.

He has been poor recently but than again so have most of them, i think the main issue is the way we set up with 2 wide men that struggle to go past anyone, slow tired play and the isolated striker, always think its better when short of form just to put 2 in the middle and get it forward quickly.

Was Lowry not supposed to be back by now he should be involved if hes ready to play.

Could Roofe offer us something tucked in from the left? He did it often under Gerrard but we're obviously way down the line now in terms of his fitness and ability to contribute.

Can't offer much less than Silva though, surely?
Roofe can't run.

10 minutes in the opposition box if we're chasing a goal is all he can offer.

Silva starting is indicative of where we are at as a squad. Injuries to our two regulars and were struggling massively. Big Phil has a fair amount to address preseason.

dropped for who? Sima is injured, Matondo does nothing when he starts games, McCausland has pretty much come to a standstill, Wright is well Wright
Ah you and your common sense!

Find it mad how people love to criticise without offering a solution. It’s half an argument.

Maybe in his contract he plays
Probably contracted to play a certain amount of games.
If doesn’t play maybe need to pay his full wages, if he does play maybe only need to pay half his wages.

Only reasons I can think of that means he plays every week when fit.

I note you are not suggesting an alternative.
I think that is our issue…
Our back 7 just about picks itself add in Cantwell, Dessers and Sterling/McCausland and that leaves 1 space on the left.
Sima, Cortez, Matondo all out so we’ve got extremely short options hence why Silva is getting that slot.
I think he’ll be the last player on the team sheet, there may also be some agreement with Wolves we don’t know about that he gets a certain number of minutes

Hopefully Lawrence comes in at the weekend on the wing. He works harder, is more effective & his touch isn't as big a factor at home.
Lawrence is not great just now I don’t know if he’s trying to prove he’s tough but gives so many free kicks to the opposition and closes our attacks down by doing stupid tackles and diving in recklessly, I’m not sure he’s worth a start and not convinced he is the answer going forward.

What diving?

I think he does it too often more my liking. And I'm not just falling for a media or other mob narrative, with my own eyes I think Silva goes down too easily when challenged (or not challenged) and rolls around like he's been shot - the recent Old Firm game at Ibrox was an embarrassing example of that (not the penalty, he was definitely fouled on that one).

Can't remember the last time he came close to beating a guy. He doesn't even know how to get the half yard to get the ball away.

Can’t remember the last time I saw a Rangers forward as physically weak as him.

Just gets brushed aside or bundled over by every opposition player.

Because the other options aren't much better. McCausland and Wright are both awful as well.
Mcausland is a young boy making his way in the game.
First season playing football who made a great impact when he first came into the team running at defenders.
As normal with young players his firm dipped and then got injured.
Now trying to feel his way back and get some fluency back not helped by being asked to play wide left at times.

The number of people rubbishing a young boy is frankly IMO disappointing and disgraceful.

Lawrence is not great just now I don’t know if he’s trying to prove he’s tough but gives so many free kicks to the opposition and closes our attacks down by doing stupid tackles and diving in recklessly, I’m not sure he’s worth a start and not convinced he is the answer going forward.
Neither are the answer going forward, it's more the p*ssing with the c*ck you've got.

I would say he's the best of a bad bunch out there

Mcausland is a young boy making his way in the game.
First season playing football who made a great impact when he first came into the team running at defenders.
As normal with young players his firm dipped and then got injured.
Now trying to feel his way back and get some fluency back not helped by being asked to play wide left at times.

The number of people rubbishing a young boy is frankly IMO disappointing and disgraceful.
That's fine, that's your opinion.

When he came in he was running at defenders and committing them, yesterday I watched him and he looked like it was actively hiding from receiving the ball, hiding behind opposition players and anytime he got it turned and passed it back.

He’s woeful.

But Wright, Macausland are just as bad. Dreading the piggery game with those 3 as our only options

And his chance yesterday sums up why he’s not a striker either. Hopeless.

We are in dire need of 2 new starting 11 wingers in the summer.
Mccausland is better

I think he does it too often more my liking. And I'm not just falling for a media or other mob narrative, with my own eyes I think Silva goes down too easily when challenged (or not challenged) and rolls around like he's been shot - the recent Old Firm game at Ibrox was an embarrassing example of that (not the penalty, he was definitely fouled on that one).

I don’t recall him ever diving.

Dropped for who??

Precisely. There are no good options, just terrible ones.

Matondo earned his chance last weekend at Hampden to play wide left, then proceeded to stink the place out. Spent most of the game falling over his own feet.

The squad is a complete riot.

Latest posts

Back