Surprising Comment From A Couple Of Blackpool Supporters Yesterday

There were folk on here (including an admin) saying the Union Bears were going to get folk stabbed in Barcelona because we unveiled a banner saying "Catalunya es Espana" at the home game.

Went against the wee love in everyone wanted for the home game where we used another clubs motto for a card display

OP is spot on.

Lundstram was on it from the start but the addition of Davis and Arfield turned us around in that game.

I wasn't keen on them both getting extensions in the summer, thought it should be one or the other, but they were just much more attacking in their thinking than Jack and Kamara. McCann also looked a couple of year's more advanced than the other B team players. He looks totally ready for the first team.
you mean those two with the combined age of 71 who came on in an OF sei and took the battle to them

you mean those two with the combined age of 71 who came on in an OF sei and took the battle to them

Yep, those two:). I really thought this was a season too far for both of them to be retained. One or the other, I thought, but Saturday really made me re-think that.

Edit: Saturday, not Sunday.

Yep, those two:). I really thought this was a season too far for both of them to be retained. One or the other, I thought, but Saturday really made me re-think that.

Edit: Saturday, not Sunday.
amazing how so many people were against their new deals. Not me though, I know my soccerball

It's not just away trips, mind when Spartak Moscow were at Ibrox? We had absolute wet wipes actually deciding not to go to the game ffs :))

"Stay safe Bears. If anybody needs me I'll be hiding under my bed."

To be fair reading some people here you would think the steps at the Sevilla ground were a death trap with mines and crocodiles, so you can never be too sure.

The people complaining about Davis and Arfield getting new contracts need to see that having these guys as squad players has got to be preferable to signing the likes of Bacuna. Much better chance of developing young players like Lowry and McCann under the tutelage of legends than if they were fighting for a jersey with journeyman pros.
That's fair in terms of Bacuna like squad signings. The issue however is we've essentially replaced everyone who has left/ is leaving so there isn't anywhere to add young players into the squad other than left back.

King, Lowry, McCann and Devine look like they need games to continue their development and are unlikely to hurt us substantially if we play them at least at SPL level.

At some point we need to transition to trusting the kids more. Trust that the kids coming through now are better than the ones who weren't making the grade over the past few years. Keeping them around if we don't let others go is just bloating the squad with guys who will stagnate.

FWIW I'd be very wary of re-signing anyone who isn't a first choice - and certainly not multiple players for one position.

My thought process would be
  • if there is a kid ready to take some of these minutes then promote him
  • if not, is there an outside player we can bring in to the first team and make the incumbent the squad player?
  • if not, then is there a young outside player available who we are confident will develop into a starter?
  • if not, then consider re-signing our own squad player on short term deal.
  • and only sign/ loan an outside squad player at the deadline if we've tried the kid and decided he isn't ready after all, and we then loan our kid out elsewhere to develop.

Back