Sven-Goran Eriksson has contacted the Sfa about the scotland job

uneasydaz

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has thrown his hat into the ring for the Scotland job – along with a number of high-profile foreign coaches.

Record Sport can reveal that the 71-year-old has contacted the SFA as the race hots up to find Alex McLeish’s successor.

Eriksson’s name was put forward by chief executive Ian Maxwell during Tuesday’s board meeting at Hampden, along with those of several other candidates from overseas.

The big-earning Swede now hopes to make it on to Maxwell’s shortlist along with homegrown candidates such as Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes, Sunderland’s Jack Ross, Steve Clarke of Kilmarnock and Scotland Under-21 manager Scot Gemmill.

But it’s far form certain Maxwell will be convinced of Eriksson’s credentials to take on the Scotland job, 13 years after he left England in highly controversial circumstances.

The vastly experienced Eriksson has been out of work since January when he led the Philippines to an Asian Cup whitewash with three straight defeats against South Korea, China and Kyrgyzstan.

He has spent much of the last decade raking in fortunes on a tour of football outposts all over the globe.

Eriksson became England’s first foreign manager in January 2001 but left after the World Cup in 2006 after being lured into an infamous “fake sheikh” sting by the News of the World.

In five years in the job he earned in excess of £20million but failed to get beyond a quarter-final in three tournaments.

Even so Eriksson’s tenure was widely looked upon as a success but recently his career has been on the slide.

Before joining the Philippines in October he was axed by Chinese League One side Shenzhen after a nine-game run without a win.

Now he’s angling for another earner from the SFA but his wage demands will have to be reduced considerably to be considered a viable contender.

However, with Scotland’s play-off place for Euro 2020 already secured Eriksson may be tempted by the offer of a massive bonus from the £13m qualification windfall which will be up for grabs.

Hope Scotland lose every game they play but if they're serious about qualifying for tournaments again they need to push the boat out and get a Eriksson, Hiddink, Trappatoni-type. Recognise that they're international small fry, equivalent of South Korea or something and need a big name.

%^*& all money in Scotland to help top up the pension fund with any inevitable pay off Svenny Boy.

Advocaat, Redknapp, Eriksson, Allardyce, Ranieri. They just be able to buy a small country between them with the amount of cash they’ve racked up between moving jobs.

Once these high profile candidates find out how much they’d be paid, and clock the useless arseholes they’d have to work under, that shortlist will be soon be whittled down to the likes of Malky McKay or Scott Gemmill.

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has thrown his hat into the ring for the Scotland job – along with a number of high-profile foreign coaches.

Record Sport can reveal that the 71-year-old has contacted the SFA as the race hots up to find Alex McLeish’s successor.

Eriksson’s name was put forward by chief executive Ian Maxwell during Tuesday’s board meeting at Hampden, along with those of several other candidates from overseas.

The big-earning Swede now hopes to make it on to Maxwell’s shortlist along with homegrown candidates such as Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes, Sunderland’s Jack Ross, Steve Clarke of Kilmarnock and Scotland Under-21 manager Scot Gemmill.

But it’s far form certain Maxwell will be convinced of Eriksson’s credentials to take on the Scotland job, 13 years after he left England in highly controversial circumstances.

The vastly experienced Eriksson has been out of work since January when he led the Philippines to an Asian Cup whitewash with three straight defeats against South Korea, China and Kyrgyzstan.

He has spent much of the last decade raking in fortunes on a tour of football outposts all over the globe.

Eriksson became England’s first foreign manager in January 2001 but left after the World Cup in 2006 after being lured into an infamous “fake sheikh” sting by the News of the World.

In five years in the job he earned in excess of £20million but failed to get beyond a quarter-final in three tournaments.

Even so Eriksson’s tenure was widely looked upon as a success but recently his career has been on the slide.

Before joining the Philippines in October he was axed by Chinese League One side Shenzhen after a nine-game run without a win.

Now he’s angling for another earner from the SFA but his wage demands will have to be reduced considerably to be considered a viable contender.

However, with Scotland’s play-off place for Euro 2020 already secured Eriksson may be tempted by the offer of a massive bonus from the £13m qualification windfall which will be up for grabs.

If Jack Ross has actually applied then it has to be him. Somehow I think that article is talking pish.

71 years old and wants to get involved with a country who will degrade and punish him and his family after his first defeat? Crazy.

Hope Scotland lose every game they play but if they're serious about qualifying for tournaments again they need to push the boat out and get a Eriksson, Hiddink, Trappatoni-type. Recognise that they're international small fry, equivalent of South Korea or something and need a big name.

Couldn't believe what I read yesterday...Hiddink is the current manager of China under 23s. How the fck does he go from winning leagues etc to that!

He’s just told Jim white it’s news to him but would listen to what they had to say.

SFA:- we would like to consider you for managers job
SVEN:- what’s the wage ?
SFA:- it’s x amoount
SFA:- Sven, sven you still there

According to Jim white Sven is a lovely lovely man:rolleyes:

I'd take him no danger, as long as his demands were met. Let's be honest his knowledge should be able to dictate how a decent International setup should look.
The flip side he would cost far too much to show the SFA a long list of their faults

Couldn't believe what I read yesterday...Hiddink is the current manager of China under 23s. How the fck does he go from winning leagues etc to that!
£5m a year for a part time International gig is a decent incentive, also this will all be geared towards China playing in the Olympics next year. The likes of Brazil, Argentina, Nigeria treat the Olympics as a major championship, mad bastards!

nsd7vGK.gif

People realise the wage they will be offering right?

Bilic etc :D

It is about £5k a week max they will get.

Even McIness is probably out of reach :D

..........'convinced of Sven's credentials' ?????
What's the verdict on Mad Malky's credentials ?
Do you think they know the meaning of the word ?

People realise the wage they will be offering right?

Bilic etc :D

It is about £5k a week max they will get.

Even McIness is probably out of reach :D
I'm not saying Bilic will get the job and I'm fully aware that bookies odds (he is third favourite @3/1 with most bookies) mean very little in next manager markets

I will point out, since you decided to single out the name I mentioned, that Strachan was on a reported £500,000 per annum (double the wage you've suggested) and the article in the OP, if you bothered to read it, mentions the fact that a £13m qualification windfall is up for grabs should Scotland make it through the play-offs that they have already secured a place in.

My best guess is that they will go for a cheap option, most likely Gemmill, but if they do actually decide to go for a bigger name such as Bilic, he could quite realistically be offered £500-600k basic, along with an incentive based bonus of anything between £500k-1.5m for qualifying. The potential of up to £2m for a year's work might interest someone like Bilic, who is currently out of work.

I'm not saying Bilic will get the job and I'm fully aware that bookies odds (he is third favourite @3/1 with most bookies) mean very little in next manager markets

I will point out, since you decided to single out the name I mentioned, that Strachan was on a reported £500,000 per annum (double the wage you've suggested) and the article in the OP, if you bothered to read it, mentions the fact that a £13m qualification windfall is up for grabs should Scotland make it through the play-offs that they have already secured a place in.

My best guess is that they will go for a cheap option, most likely Gemmill, but if they do actually decide to go for a bigger name such as Bilic, he could quite realistically be offered £500-600k basic, along with an incentive based bonus of anything between £500k-1.5m for qualifying. The potential of up to £2m for a year's work might interest someone like Bilic, who is currently out of work.

If we are serious about qualifying for anything we must take a chance and go with one of these foreigners IMO, and stop taking the cheap ageing scottish manager options.

Think Bilic would be a good appointment.

Back