Sydney Replacement

I doubt there will be much of an appetite for a November friendly at Ibrox, especially given that the standard of opposition won't be great with a WC being on.

I doubt we'll do to the US - they're in the World Cup so all their focus will be on that.

Given Italy aren't in it I think we should try and set something up with the likes of Inter/Juve/AC. Italian teams have a heavy domestic bias in their teams and will be looking to keep them fit over the break.

That's a good idea.

Given the decimation of squads with so many players at the World Cup, I’d rather see 5 aside tournament over a couple of days at hydro as an easier sell for that time of year. Have other entertainment on Inside the secc or displays etc.

Espanyol?

The founder of the Espanyol Rangers Supporters Club is a Spanish native with a Scottish mother and a Glasgow accent named Andy, who insists there are more similarities between the two clubs than initially meets the eye.

He lifts the lid on the origins of the link, explaining Espanyol supporters are mostly loyal to the Spanish union in a city where so many want Catalan independence.

Here in the first part of our series of Scottish clubs with links to continental teams, Andy says: "In Barcelona, there are two teams - FC Barcelona and Espanyol.

"Barcelona are associated with the political status quo in Catalonia - the desire for independence, whereas Espanyol are directly linked to loyalism in Spain, the preserve of the country’s union.

A vast majority of Espanyol fans are Spanish loyalists and it is uncomfortable to be an Espanyol fan publicly in Catalonia because of the economic and political situation here.

As such we do not get much money, and we feel Espanyol are mirrored with Rangers in terms of the economic situation, but also because of the atmosphere, loyalty, passion and the colour blue that both teams share."

Andy also believes the relationship between Barca and Celtic helps bring his two favourite teams together.

Ibrox tournament with Hamburg, Arsenal and another?
If it were a tournament at Ibrox it would most likely be hamburg , OC and Bengalaru as they all club partners. I'd much rather we play OC and Hamburg in Summer and play Bengalaru away in November before playing a Premier league in Thailand.

If the war is over - it has to be Dynamo Moscow at home for me to mark 50 years after Barcelona and as a reminder of the 1945 tour that showed sport brings common cause above politics.
While I get the sporting sentiment.

It's not something that I feel would be a good choice.

And in any case obviously amongst more than a few other issues with the aussie friendly, Part of our problem was that it was being portrayed as their managers home coming thus suggesting we were there as some sort of after thought.

Had the war not happened and you were Dynamo Moscow.
Would you want to be coming over to be the bit part players and be reminded you lost a final.

Sound like a similar scenario to me.

From a selfish point of view I would like to see a tournament at Ibrox. But because of the notorious bad Scottish weather in November it would probably be preferable for the players to go to more sunnier climes to recharge their batteries.

If the war is over - it has to be Dynamo Moscow at home for me to mark 50 years after Barcelona and as a reminder of the 1945 tour that showed sport brings common cause above politics.
Really? A Russian side? That would be some publicity. Dynam Kiev more like it.

Reactions: TNT
@Fifty+five

In 36 years time would you have any issue playing Zenit if they wanted to mark 2008? I wouldn't. Not really in same ballpark as being set-up to play second fiddle in a friendly to filth facing a class action over child abuse.

Reconciliation and rapprochement will be needed in the year ahead and with 1945 and 1972 as markers then Dynamo would make sense to me.

While I get the sporting sentiment.

It's not something that I feel would be a good choice.

And in any case obviously amongst more than a few other issues with the aussie friendly, Part of our problem was that it was being portrayed as their managers home coming thus suggesting we were there as some sort of after thought.

Had the war not happened and you were Dynamo Moscow.
Would you want to be coming over to be the bit part players and be reminded you lost a final.

Sound like a similar scenario to me.
Dynamo Kyiv would be much, much better - if the war is over.

For many of us, the 87 game is a highlight.

There's also 5 players to have played for both clubs.

And it could raise money to help their country.

Miko, Ollie, Salenko, Kanchelskis and Krancjar all played for both clubs.

I think we need to sort a trip down under to be honest. The support there have had an albeit controversial, chance to see a big game rightfully taken away. Perhaps put some feelers out around Europe and see if a big team fancies joining us for a wee game or 2 there?
Perhaps a three team tournament with the likes of Dynamo Zagreb and (don't shoot me) an Olympiakos or the likes? A lot of Australians with Balkan/south eastern European roots.

Chelsea, Hamburg and one other for an old school mini tournament played over a weekend at Ibrox. Liked the Dynamo Kiev suggestion if it’s possible

Some people who wear club ties had their heart set on a jolly somewhere nice. You you can bet your last pound we’ll be off somewhere warm, either for a friendly or a “winter training camp.”

It'll be a game in UAE, US or something.

The games isn't for overseas fans, or your favourite 2nd team. Its whatever they get offered the most money to play.

@Fifty+five

In 36 years time would you have any issue playing Zenit if they wanted to mark 2008? I wouldn't. Not really in same ballpark as being set-up to play second fiddle in a friendly to filth facing a class action over child abuse.

Reconciliation and rapprochement will be needed in the year ahead and with 1945 and 1972 as markers then Dynamo would make sense to me.
Like I said I understand it from a sporting point of view.

But we are also still talking about the Sydney replacement game.
In November.

Hopefully not but its looking like a Stretch to have the war settled and be in a position to be playing any Russian teams even if allowed.

Also right at this moment I would not fancy helping another team celebrate defeating us in a final full stop.

Would defo love an away trip however it might make more money for the club to get 2/3 teams to come to us.

Price it right and its a great chance for families to take kids for the 1st time to Ibrox also older bears who can't get to a normal game.

Do it as a 2 day thing like the Emirates cup format. I'm sure we could get a decent crowd in both days.

I’m for getting 30 first and second team players from Rangers
Doing a charity match where players are picked by 2 managers (Gio and Ally) on the pitch alternating who they get to pick (like school days).
Both Rangers teams play out the game all money to charity

After todays smashing news, and before March ends and we get into the chaotic rollercoaster that will be April what would we like to see in November in place of the Australia trip?

We've got to be looking for some nice trip out the UK surely?

Florida Cup round 2 anyone?
One things for sure we won’t be making £3 million

I doubt there will be much of an appetite for a November friendly at Ibrox, especially given that the standard of opposition won't be great with a WC being on.
It wouldn't even have needed to be first team squads of top teams,
just a selection of former players from top teams,
maybe a bit of imagination is too much for those in position,
would make you think it needs a change

The founder of the Espanyol Rangers Supporters Club is a Spanish native with a Scottish mother and a Glasgow accent named Andy, who insists there are more similarities between the two clubs than initially meets the eye.

He lifts the lid on the origins of the link, explaining Espanyol supporters are mostly loyal to the Spanish union in a city where so many want Catalan independence.

Here in the first part of our series of Scottish clubs with links to continental teams, Andy says: "In Barcelona, there are two teams - FC Barcelona and Espanyol.

"Barcelona are associated with the political status quo in Catalonia - the desire for independence, whereas Espanyol are directly linked to loyalism in Spain, the preserve of the country’s union.

A vast majority of Espanyol fans are Spanish loyalists and it is uncomfortable to be an Espanyol fan publicly in Catalonia because of the economic and political situation here.

As such we do not get much money, and we feel Espanyol are mirrored with Rangers in terms of the economic situation, but also because of the atmosphere, loyalty, passion and the colour blue that both teams share."

Andy also believes the relationship between Barca and Celtic helps bring his two favourite teams together.
Just after the RST was founded they held a meeting inside Ibrox about Supporter's trusts around Europe and I'm sure there was a representative from Espanyol who was one of the main speakers.

Nah, you're alright.

Also, what relationship between Celtic and Barcelona?

Back