Tactical Change after 3 mins today

Northampton Lodger

I love honking my horn
Can anybody explain that :-
1. Did we try and unsetlle them by making them think Tav was a central defender.
2. Did a player make a howler of a mistake that forced a change,
3. Did DUFC do something unexpected,

Last edited by a moderator:
Patterson should’ve started at left back, Tav at right with the 2 proven CB’s in the middle although Goldson decided to have possibly his poorest performance in a Rangers jersey. Baffling decision from GvB to start otherwise.

Can anybody explain that :-
1. Did we try and unsetlle them by making them think Tav was a central defender.
2. Did a player make a howler of a mistake that forced a change,
3. Did DUFC do something unexpected,
There is a good explanation by a poster, not me, on another thread about this.
Basically, we expected them to play one up front so we’d only need Goldson plus one, in this case Tavernier.
That was because we expected to be able to allow Patterson on the right and Barisic on the left, to get forward.
United played two forwards and GvB reacted to it.

Reactions: TQ3
Patterson should’ve started at left back, Tav at right with the 2 proven CB’s in the middle although Goldson decided to have possibly his poorest performance in a Rangers jersey. Baffling decision from GvB to start otherwise.
Not baffling at all if you listen to GVB’s rationale. Bold and risky yes but not baffling because there was a good reason for the tactical change in the first instance.

Sorry but I still think it’s baffling for a manager to change his set up after 4 minutes. We’re playing Dundee Utd at home not f****n prime time Barcelona.
Have you listened to Gio’s reasoning. He changed it because he anticipated a different set up from United. It was simply good in-game management from our manager.

You may disagree with the initial set up with Tav in the middle - I do too. But I think you mean to say it was a “poor decision” rather than a “baffling” one, since the rationale is clear.

Tbh I think it’s great that we have a manager who will set us up differently according to the opposition’s formation and tactics. It’s great to see Gio tweak things when needed. Our previous management went about eleven games conceding the first goal in consecutive matches and didn’t tweak anything at all.

Basically, we expected them to play one up front so we’d only need Goldson plus one, in this case Tavernier.
That was because we expected to be able to allow Patterson on the right and Barisic on the left, to get forward.

This but Bassey

Have you listened to Gio’s reasoning. He changed it because he anticipated a different set up from United. It was simply good in-game management from our manager.

You may disagree with the initial set up with Tav in the middle - I do too. But I think you mean to say it was a “poor decision” rather than a “baffling” one, since the rationale is clear.

Tbh I think it’s great that we have a manager who will set us up differently according to the opposition’s formation and tactics. It’s great to see Gio tweak things when needed. Our previous management went about eleven games conceding the first goal in consecutive matches and didn’t tweak anything at all.
Exactly this, it was refreshing to see him make a counter move the minute he spotted it.
The true sign of any great Manager!

Guys, we all see the game differently and always will. All I am saying is I found the starting line up wrong. Gio, in changing it after 4 minutes, must’ve agreed.
Why was Lundstram subbed at half time, he wasn’t the worst. They put on Scott Wright who with all due respect is, in my humble opinion, is not good enough. Sorry but over a season he’s not.
Today’s performance was nowhere near good enough but we got the three points which is all that matters.
Please don’t consider this a criticism of GvB as I think he’s steadied the ship and made us stronger defensively.
While we’re at it can someone explain to me how Hagi got man of the match?

Reactions: dmg
Sorry but I still think it’s baffling for a manager to change his set up after 4 minutes. We’re playing Dundee Utd at home not f****n prime time Barcelona.
Yet we needed a penalty to win the match and the same team beat us earlier this season.

Gio was right to correct things. Would've helped if the players pulled their fingers out as well. Far too many did not show up today.

After a few minutes I noticed Tav, Goldson and Bassey had shifted to the right, I assumed Patterson (turned out to be Hagi) was still there and thought we’d went to 3 at the back with wingbacks.

Was trying to look through the fog to see who was LWB before realising it was Patterson and all we’d done was reshuffle the back four.

Very strange.

He lives or dies on his decision’s and it worked today, for what ever reasons he felt an adjustment was needed and did it, imagine if he hadn’t and we lost an early goal there would be a thread about him not changing tactics

Guys, we all see the game differently and always will. All I am saying is I found the starting line up wrong. Gio, in changing it after 4 minutes, must’ve agreed.
Why was Lundstram subbed at half time, he wasn’t the worst. They put on Scott Wright who with all due respect is, in my humble opinion, is not good enough. Sorry but over a season he’s not.
Today’s performance was nowhere near good enough but we got the three points which is all that matters.
Please don’t consider this a criticism of GvB as I think he’s steadied the ship and made us stronger defensively.
While we’re at it can someone explain to me how Hagi got man of the match?
Gio changed it after 4 minutes because Dundee Utd unexpectedly lined up 2 up top.

Scott Wright had a positive influence on today’s game, what change would you have made at half time?

We got 3 points because one of their players decided to stick their arm out for a cross. Nothing to do with tactics. We weren't good today at all.
Is anybody suggesting otherwise?
However, it may be the case that another chance would have been converted, maybe even another penalty award.

Borna wasn't playing mate.
Paterson started at Left centre back.
Him and Bassey swapped positions after a few minutes.
Ignore this post, I'm talking shite:))

Last edited:
It's really quite f'n simple.

We did not have Barisic, and as Gio anticipated Dundee utd playing 1 up top (fair assumption), he favoured having 2 full backs in their natural position and a "replacement/covering" CB next to Goldson in order to aid that (Proving Simpson is no where close to the picture frame but that's another story).

When he saw they were playing with 2, he clearly thought that was more of a threat centrally than he was comfortable with, and conceded the left hand side a little to ensure the centre was more solid.

All completely fair and part of a managers remit. Nothing baffling about it and proves our manager is very proactive and most importantly, reactive, when he has to be.

Some really silly comments on this.

The problem in the first half today was passing the ball through our midfield. Utd closed down well and you could argue Hagi should have been starting centrally if Aribo was rested. I don't want to blame just 1 of the midfielders when all 3 were very poor but I question whether Lundstram can move the ball quickly enough from deep and taking Kamara out that position seemed to hinder us.

Could be over thinking today but it should have been more straightforward than we made it

The problem I have is why sakala who has been electric does\did not get a starting role on the right and we have to suffer 90 minutes of Hagi. Sakala would have murdered that young left back today. Hagi couldn't even control the simplist of balls. He was falling over his own feet.

The problem in the first half today was passing the ball through our midfield. Utd closed down well and you could argue Hagi should have been starting centrally if Aribo was rested. I don't want to blame just 1 of the midfielders when all 3 were very poor but I question whether Lundstram can move the ball quickly enough from deep and taking Kamara out that position seemed to hinder us.

Could be over thinking today but it should have been more straightforward than we made it

I hope that's the one and only time we see Kamara not playing the DM role,he looked so lost and Lundstram has no drive forward in him at all.

It's like asking xavi to be iniesta putting Kamara there

Borna wasn't playing mate.
Paterson started at Left centre back.
Him and Bassey swapped positions after a few minutes.
I know.
A major, catastrophic, error on my part.
I acknowledged this in post #22 and apologised.
I’ll beg forgiveness again.

Its probably the decision that won us the 3 points.

You may be baffled, but let's also be thankful! Thankfully our brave manager doesn't care what others might think his decisions look like - if it's the right thing for the team at the time, he'll make the required changes regardless of how it might look.

I hope that's the one and only time we see Kamara not playing the DM role,he looked so lost and Lundstram has no drive forward in him at all.

It's like asking xavi to be iniesta putting Kamara there

In fairness, it's not without reason. If you see how he plays for Finland (with great success I might add) it is more advanced.

However, we all know the time an attacking midfielder will get on the ball in international football is much more than one would get with the pressure exerted by an spl team pressing us with 11 men behind the ball.

Gio addresses why Hagi started on the right, and why he subbed Lundstram at HT.

The entire lineup was based on the fact Utd play 4-3-3 every match and their change in formation caught us out

Back