Taking a portable radio to the match with you

ssblue

Anyone do this?

There used to always be some punters with headphones in keeping others up to date with other scores.

Back in the day when all games kicked off at the same time.

Celtic getting beat would spread like wildfire round the ground and sometimes turn out to be wrong info. :)

I believe Brendan Rodgers used to use a tranny
b5c75897c7497291152ccc5cdbcd4c5a.jpg

Yep. I did for years

I remember being at Pittodrie in 1987 and I had radio up to my ear and heard Falkirk had scored again and shouted out the score and the place goes mad

Lots of fans back then did and then Technogy got better and it was a digital version with headphones

Good memories

Always used to take my wee battery operated tranny. Listen to the old Radio 2 football preview on the way to Ibrox and Sports Report and the classified results read by James Alexander Gordon on the way back home. Always sweeter when the other lot got humped!

One of the things I miss about football if you could not get to our game listening for updates and commentary on our games was torture especially old firm games. Back in the day when radio Scotland and Clyde were top notch for punditry and commentary compared to now

I did a lot in my teens always had my Walkman on me . The older guys I used to sit with. Alway hijacked it at halftime to listen to the results.
Reading that back to myself.....im definitely getting auld.

Anyone do this?

There used to always be some punters with headphones in keeping others up to date with other scores.

Back in the day when all games kicked off at the same time.

Celtic getting beat would spread like wildfire round the ground and sometimes turn out to be wrong info. :)
Best ‘wireless at the match’ story I have comes from the late ‘80s. Standing next to a young couple who were sharing a radio(set of earphones using one each). A knuckledragger standing beside them asks, ‘Whit the %^*& are yous up tae wae that hing?’ Quick as flash the boy answered ‘Well my good man, we find it adds to the ambience of the occasion.’ He hadn’t a clue what they were on about.

Used to be a wee guy that sat in Copland rear in late eighties who had his radio every week and would randomly shout out scores nobody was bothered about like “Dundee one up at Dunfermline”

He also owned a pair of Hitz Rangers trainers which were always in pristine nick

Simpler times

Last edited:
On helicopter Sunday me and my 9 Yr old son were in the upper tier of the stand and like everyone else hoping for something to happen in their game
Near the end the old guy in front of us who had a radio clasped to his ear,jumps about 20 feet in the air and starts shouting at the top of his voice that Motherwell had scored
Cue utter bedlam all around us
A wonderful day

Back in the 80s a mate used to have the radio pinned to his ear during the game. It was all about keeping up to date with the tims and our fixed odds coupons.
He took great pleasure in telling you the coupon was fxcked :D

@ALittleBit OfTheBubbly
Ok, for the rest of us 20th Century dinosaurs, give us a clue how to get a decent enduring signal in the stadium :rolleyes:

:)):)):))
Switch the settings on your phone from the 4g network to 2g/3g.

Completely different cellular band and not used by anyone nowadays.

May edit this in a bit to stop others using it as I want signal when we are back!

Back in the 60's when tranny radios were first about I used to stand next to a guy who put his on the square crash barriers so everyone could listen. One game Baxter was standing with his hands on his hips while considering what to do with the ball and the commentator was making it sound as if he was running at 100mph. To say we were all falling about laughing is an understatement.

I was watching Southampton play Wimbledon whilst listening to us beat Aberdeen for 3IAR in 1991. It was the first all Scottish match transmitted live on Radio 2s Sports Report - it was the last day of the English season and all the major promotion/relegation issues had already been resolved.

1-1 at the Dell for those interested.

All fine when someone was listening using an earpiece/headphones but one of my mates used to bring a radio and listen to a blaring commentary of the game we were at (with the few seconds delay adding to the frustration).

In his defence, we were about 12 at the time but every time my dad was taking us to Ibrox or a game at Hampden with this carry-on I could see him rolling his eyes as he waited for everyone within earshot telling him to get this kid to turn their radio off :oops:

Our crowd that stood to the left of staircase 13 in the auld days used to take a radio with us for the up to date football and racing results along with Oor carry out.
They were the real days!

Once the main featured game was at Ibrox Rangers v Aberdeen!
It was the best fun we ever had as the commentator was giving us a running commentary on a game we were standing watching.

Well, he must of been standing on his head or in the toilet as he was seeing an entirely different game and players on the ball than we were watching?

Some of the patter that day by the lads was brilliant and will never be forgotten.
The were shouting at the Rangers players on the ball ...... hey McDonald the guy on the radio says that's no you.

Couldn't afford a radio way back so used to rely on the alphabetical scoreboards around the pitch for the half-time & full-time scores.
8GxZZdgEtCuwq5tzY2CThmzgGOmoNzMiaTFsfA-e6X4.jpg

Imagine Scotland had VAR and it was the final game of the season. Both teams on the same points and you hear on the radio someone scored against them and you shout out to everyone. VAR chops the goal off. You would be lucky to get out Ibrox alive haha!

Couldn't afford a radio way back so used to rely on the alphabetical scoreboards around the pitch for the half-time & full-time scores.
8GxZZdgEtCuwq5tzY2CThmzgGOmoNzMiaTFsfA-e6X4.jpg
Used to love banging on them as a boy... much to the annoyance of the aulder supporters I might add.

I was one of the guys that used to annoy them every few minutes :)

"Wit's the score wae the Scum mate"

"Is it still nuthin each wae the Scum mate"

"Wit won the big race mate"

Back