Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not agreeing with the gesture is fine.

Being entirely opposed to Marxism via BLM extremism is fine.

But actively opposing the players by booing them - booing your players - means a couple of things.

It means you think the players are liars. They’ve told you what it’s about and you don’t believe them.

And it means that you think your opinion is of more worth than their daily struggle - every single day these players (our players) are called every racist term under the sun or greeted by bananas, monkeys, and similar on Instagram.

If you’re comfortable with those two then you’re not welcome. It’s as simple as that.

Racism online seems to have increased since taking the knee, doesn't bother me if they take it, just find it pointless.

I see this posted often, has it increased or are people just more aware of it because BAME players are fed up with just accepting it and instead are talking about it?

Here’s the deal.

The players have specifically said it’s nowt to do with toppling statues, attacking policemen or Marxism etc.

The black men in our squad are asking for a wee bit of help about something they care about. Give them a bit of support.

The brain dead of another persuasion - how about helping the club and keeping your mouths shut. This tripe is Kryptonite.
Hear , hear . Well said that man

But actively opposing the players by booing them - booing your players - means a couple of things.

It means you think the players are liars. They’ve told you what it’s about and you don’t believe them.

And it means that you think your opinion is of more worth than their daily struggle - every single day these players (our players) are called every racist term under the sun or greeted by bananas, monkeys, and similar on Instagram.

If you’re comfortable with those two then you’re not welcome. It’s as simple as that.

I'm going blue in the face posting this very point.

Connor Goldson literally made the very point multiple times and people are ignoring it.

I personally don’t agree with taking the knee, but booing the players is a no-go.

If the boys want to take the knee in solidarity of their fellow players, I’m on my knees with them as they play for my club. I’d rather do that than booing them, thereby disrespecting them.
Why do you 'personally' not agree with it? Why do folk care when it has been explained over and over again that its not political. Its a simple anti racism gesture in the context of football.

Why are so many white people triggered by this?

This will derail our season ive absolutely no doubt now.

I would say that the vast majority of the support are like myself.
They won’t boo . But they are sick to the back teeth of this nonsense.
Why the f*** can’t we go to the football without having this rammed down on our throats!
Why can we watch sky sports without having it rammed down our throats!
Why can we come on follow follow without people thinking they can ram it down our throats.

You are choosing to post on a thread about it FFS, what did you think people would be speaking about. :))

No one is ramming it down your throat you have actively gone out your way to join the discussion,

At a game you could simply stand on the concourse for about 12 seconds and never know any better.

There is no forcing the issue on you on most of the platforms you mention.

Ibrox is not the place to protest against "Marxism" or "authoritarianism" imo

Respect the knee & show support for a worthy cause imo

I at least take some comfort in that we do not have a single person on this thread who has came out and said that they will be 'booing' any of our players. Even the ones replying with the most mental middle aged Scottish Da opinions.

Why the f*** can’t we go to the football without having this rammed down on our throats!
Why can we come on follow follow without people thinking they can ram it down our throats.
Because the players can't wake up in the morning and look at Twitter, instagram, etc or play a football match without having racist abuse rammed down their throats.

Who do you think has the worse deal here?

Because its a BLM gesture. When you see someone taking the knee you think BLM. Plenty of other gestures available to do seems crazy choosing the exact same one.
No it isn't how many times do they have to explain this.

Ok if we sing 'Here we go 10 IAR' after winning a few titles on the trot are we singing a tim song?

The BLM political movement do not own the rights to taking the knee. Its subjective and the personal choice of the players.

When Gerrard took the knee and raised his fist was he doing it in support of Marxism and defending the police ? Thats how bat shit crazy this is getting.

It was Martin Luther King Jnr, who first took the knee ,when he knelt to pray to God when stopped by the police from having a peaceful protest away back in the early sixties.

That's a big part of the problem, though.

It's imported from the US, which is a different society with a different history.

Surely too many people are saying they don't agree with the gesture - although they wouldn't boo it - for this sentiment simply to be ignored.

Ok if we sing 'Here we go 10 IAR' after winning a few titles on the trot are we singing a tim song?

The BLM political movement do not own the rights to taking the knee. Its subjective and the personal choice of the players.

When Gerrard took the knee and raised his fist was he doing it in support of Marxism and defending the police ? Thats how bat shit crazy this is getting.

Multi millionaire who lives in a mansion is obviously wanting to establish a marxist state, do keep up :D

He's saying it's stupid to draw equivalences in two entirely different situations and that rather than takes sides on complex situations, you should probably try to focus more on the people who are impacted as a result of those political situations on both sides. I can see where the attraction to view complex situations through very, very limited worldviews comes from but personally I'd rather not appear simple. Apologies to Helander if I've oversimplified his posts but I think you need the help.
Sorry my world view doesnt suit yours, but that's my choice. Not for you to be bothering about it, unless you accuse me of being racist which you will find no proof of.

I'll readily admit I hate scottish nationalists with a passion and I'll stick by that till my dying day.

Multi millionaire who lives in a mansion is obviously wanting to establish a marxist state, do keep up :D
Its crazy. The mental gymnastics some folk are doing to try and justify being racists is mind blowing.

I'm dreading Saturday now absolutely dreading it. What a shit show this is going to become with us right at the top of the pile

You, me, anybody else on this thread don’t know why people boo.

To suggest it’s definitely racial could be argued as being prejudicial

I have never booed a Rangers player and I never will.

Could it be that some people have a problem with the black power salute? I don’t know, back to the OP drown the boos out, because the knee is now a permanent fixture in UK football.

Has anyone actually stated they will boo? Or is this thread all about people getting angry over something a wee saddo has said on social media whilst locked in mummy's basement? In other words is there a concentrated movement antithetical to taking the knee?

I’m not attacking you, I’m just saying it’s only hypocritical if you think anti racism is political debate rather than basic human decency
Sorry, I read your post as a personal attack.
It’s all politics though.
Racism is indecent but that pertains to all racism.

Has anyone actually stated they will boo? Or is this thread all about people getting angry over something a wee saddo has said on social media whilst locked in mummy's basement? In other words is there a concentrated movement antithetical to taking the knee?
Were you at either game at the weekend?

It seems to be for a few thick bellends in our support. They are, thankfully, a tiny minority.
Sadly, I think it gives an excuse to some of the racists within our support to vocalise their views whilst hiding behind a "political viewpoint" much like the anti English nationalists who claim to hate Westminster & football commentators. Celtic fans have "hidden" their bigotry behind their "politics" for years & unfortunately Scotland has a government that backs them up. We do not have that luxury. Don't give them ammunition

Imagine how sick to the back teeth black players are from getting constant racist abuse?

Even Roofe's wee girl was getting abuse from racist scum. Slightly more serious than people, who've never been racially abused in their life, being annoyed about racism being talked about within football.

I'm going to try and be honest here, I don't like the taking the knee gesture. That's not because of Marxism or blm or any of that shit it's because, well, deep down I'm probably a bit racist. I don't want to be but it's so deeply ingrained in me that it'll probably never go away. I've never made a racist comment and certainly wouldn't boo our own players as that's a terrible look but the taking the knee makes me deeply uncomfortable in a way that I can't even properly define. I try to curtail it and I'm polite to all people regardless of race but maybe unconsciously I think things that would be deservedly called out as racist If i were to give voice to them, so I don't.

Anyway, the people booing must be more extreme than me as I would never dream of actively booing the gesture even if I wish they wouldn't do it. I guess my attitude means there's probably a need for it. The Marxism stuff is a convenient excuse and I understand why people cling to it as the gesture makes people question their attitudes and feelings and sometimes we might be a bit ashamed at what we find.

I hope this post doesn't upset anyone, I was just trying to be honest.

Were you at either game at the weekend?
RTV. Didn't hear booing but I take it there was? If so fkin stupid. I live in the States so believe the taking the knee by players don't understand why it was initially done, i.e. Cops supposedly shooting black males disproportionately, but if it makes players feel they are highlighting racism then let them. Crazy to hear if that's what happened.

Lost me on that one, but happy for you to explain a bit more for me, in case I'm being daft :)

Okay, a R C Rangers player wants to start an initiative where we do a weekly anti R C / anti Irish racism drive before each home game in support of anti sectarianism.

Based on your post (below) that should be supported:

rangersforever73 said:
If our players feel that strongly about anything, then we should back them 100%.

unless I’ve misunderstood you, and before anybody has a go, I am not trying to equate my hypothesis to what our guys like G K have experienced.

Whatever anyone's opinion is of wee Abdul, he was a victim, twice of sectarian anf racist abuse. What happened? Nothing at all. If our players want to take a knee to highlight the constant racist abuse they are just supposed to accept and live with, then I'll back them all the way.

Sadly, I think it gives an excuse to some of the racists within our support to vocalise their views whilst hiding behind a "political viewpoint" much like the anti English nationalists who claim to hate Westminster & football commentators. Celtic fans have "hidden" their bigotry behind their "politics" for years & unfortunately Scotland has a government that backs them up. We do not have that luxury. Don't give them ammunition
What utter sh1te.

Why do you 'personally' not agree with it? Why do folk care when it has been explained over and over again that its not political. Its a simple anti racism gesture in the context of football.

Why are so many white people triggered by this?

This will derail our season ive absolutely no doubt now.
I don’t agree with it because it’s not going to stop the pandemic of racism. It’s a gesture to show solidarity with fellow ethnic races etc.
It’s not a political reason that I don’t agree with it, and I know that taking the knee was here long before GF, but since his death the gesture has been used as a political football.

Ending racism is going to take more than footballers taking the knee. People will support it, some won’t. I don’t think it helps anything, I don’t know what will, but I will never boo it. Racism is an abhorrent behaviour that has no place in society.

I have to say that I think you might be a tad dramatic when you say this will derail our season. I doubt that very much. Some folk booing something isn’t going to stop our players going out and giving their all on the pitch. And that’s not me having a go, by the way. It’ll take more than some folk booing to derail our season.

Whatever anyone's opinion is of wee Abdul, he was a victim, twice of sectarian anf racist abuse. What happened? Nothing at all. If our players want to take a knee to highlight the constant racist abuse they are just supposed to accept and live with, then I'll back them all the way.

Because he’s - politically - on the wrong side.

There are numerous politicians who will use ra ism / sectarianism IF it may be beneficial to their agenda.

Okay, a R C Rangers player wants to start an initiative where we do a weekly anti R C / anti Irish racism drive before each home game in support of anti sectarianism.

Based on your post (below) that should be supported:

rangersforever73 said:
If our players feel that strongly about anything, then we should back them 100%.

unless I’ve misunderstood you, and before anybody has a go, I am not trying to equate my hypothesis to what our guys like G K have experienced.
That's where proper conversations start, I don't believe that Rangers as a club and we fans are sectarian, however if an RC player of ours actually feels he is a victim of abuse by us, then yes I'm open to have that conversation and explore my own and other fans behaviors. I'll back the conversation and the right to raise that question 100%..

Edited to add - thanks for explaining mate, no one should have a go this is how we get to understand each others points and bloomin' learn from each other :)

The knee shouldn't be going on still. It sticks in the craw just as the club are telling people to dump our orange, loyalist traditions because Rangers has no politics or links with anything then we are being asked to accept this. One rule for the 'right' kind of politics and one rule for another.

If Steven Davis wanted to do something Loyalist related to protocol..the club would shut him up fast. It's nothing to do with respecting the players or their voices. If Allan Mcgregor is a big unionist and it's close to his heart..would the club let him do something pre-match to support the union. If Andy Little tried to support the three Scottish soldiers campaign ? no chance.

Must admit, this was a new one on me. Is this true mate as I still believe you live on this planet in a place called ulster.
Yes it's true I'm a proud Ulsterman,who had family and friends murdered by Republican ira murder gangs who are linked to extreme murder gangs in places like Palestine,Libya etc.
Supporting Terrorists from any part of the world who aided republican murder gangs in their sectarian ethnic cleansing murder spree for 30 years is a definite no no from everyone and anyone where I live.
I find it impossible for any bear from NI to say that the ira don't exist,even though the PSNI have on many occasions said that the ira army council still meet.

You, me, anybody else on this thread don’t know why people boo.

To suggest it’s definitely racial could be argued as being prejudicial

I have never booed a Rangers player and I never will.

Could it be that some people have a problem with the black power salute? I don’t know, back to the OP drown the boos out, because the knee is now a permanent fixture in UK football.
After the players explaining why they are doing it time and time again then yeah if you are so offended to boo your just a racist hiding behind
I don’t agree with it because it’s not going to stop the pandemic of racism. It’s a gesture to show solidarity with fellow ethnic races etc.
It’s not a political reason that I don’t agree with it, and I know that taking the knee was here long before GF, but since his death the gesture has been used as a political football.

Ending racism is going to take more than footballers taking the knee. People will support it, some won’t. I don’t think it helps anything, I don’t know what will, but I will never boo it. Racism is an abhorrent behaviour that has no place in society.

I have to say that I think you might be a tad dramatic when you say this will derail our season. I doubt that very much. Some folk booing something isn’t going to stop our players going out and giving their all on the pitch. And that’s not me having a go, by the way. It’ll take more than some folk booing to derail our season.
I would put my mortgage on this getting out of control. Gerrard and the players are passionate about this. If there are constant boos I can see players walking off the pitch.

Throw into the mix the media putting us on the front pages and top of every news bulletin then you would be naive to not see how big this could get. Uefa will get involved as well if it happens in Europe. Which it will. So yes this is the biggest threat to our season imo.

The knee shouldn't be going on still. It sticks in the craw just as the club are telling people to dump our orange, loyalist traditions because Rangers has no politics or links with anything then we are being asked to accept this. One rule for the 'right' kind of politics and one rule for another.

If Steven Davis wanted to do something Loyalist related to protocol..the club would shut him up fast. It's nothing to do with respecting the players or their voices. If Allan Mcgregor is a big unionist and it's close to his heart..would the club let him do something pre-match to support the union ? no chance.
Its got NOTHING to do with politics in this context. Why are you making up a strawman argument?

Go and ask Goldson why he is doing it and tell him your thoughts.

Yes it's true I'm a proud Ulsterman,who had family and friends murdered by Republican ira murder gangs who are linked to extreme murder gangs in places like Palestine,Libya etc.
Supporting Terrorists from any part of the world who aided republican murder gangs in their sectarian ethnic cleansing murder spree for 30 years is a definite no no from everyone and anyone where I live.
I find it impossible for any bear from NI to say that the ira don't exist,even though the PSNI have on many occasions said that the ira army council still meet.
Hear hear my friend.

That's where proper conversations start, I don't believe that Rangers as a club and we fans are sectarian, however if an RC player of ours actually feels he is a victim of abuse by us, then yes I'm open to have that conversation and explore my own and other fans behaviors. I'll back the conversation and the right to raise that question 100%..

Edited to add - thanks for explaining mate, no one should have a go this is how we get to understand each others points and bloomin' learn from each other :)

Are Bears racially abusing our players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back