Talking Transitions - Connor Goldson

His runners up medal from Seville is his favourite medal...

Sums up the current issues at the club...
He should have binned it and erased that achievement from his memory eh, second place in one of Europe's elite competitions - imagine cherishing that as a player who has come back from heart surgery, where you nearly lost everything, bloody losers mentality!

FFS mate.

He should have binned it and erased that achievement from his memory eh, second place in one of Europe's elite competitions - imagine cherishing that as a player who has come back from heart surgery, where you nearly lost everything, bloody losers mentality!

FFS mate.
That's not what I'm saying, and I'm sure there are plenty who've played for the club who would love to add a European medal to their collection...

But I'd be willing to bet, that some of those who've won multiple league titles here would never swap a title for a runners up medal... European Elite competition, Petrofac cup, or anywhere in between

That's not what I'm saying, and I'm sure there are plenty who've played for the club who would love to add a European medal to their collection...

But I'd be willing to bet, that some of those who've won multiple league titles here would never swap a title for a runners up medal... European Elite competition, Petrofac cup, or anywhere in between

I'd be willing to bet almost every player who has ever won the Scottish title would give it up for the chance of winning a European trophy.

I bet almost every player who has won a Scottish League title would swap it to play in a European Final.

Your post reads exactly how I took it, that the team is full of players with a loser mentality, happy to accept second best, when that's not true, they make mistakes at the worst of times, but not one of them is settling for second.

Then you've either completely misunderstood what he said by accident or on purpose. He said it was likely the highest medal he's ever likely to achieve in his career.

That's all. He's probably not wrong in saying that, how often do teams like ourselves reach major finals? Once a decade in the last two decades, prior to that when Europe and football was a more even playing field, even less than that.

you're looking at it from a fan's perspective, but from a player's point view you must understand why it's different, playing against teams of high quality tests a player in a purely playing sense, and I get that

I listened to this earlier and really enjoyed it, he comes across really well and seems really down to earth, although I did have a wry smile when he mentioned as a young player he didn't like coming up against big physical strikers!

Then you've either completely misunderstood what he said by accident or on purpose. He said it was likely the highest medal he's ever likely to achieve in his career.

That's all. He's probably not wrong in saying that, how often do teams like ourselves reach major finals? Once a decade in the last two decades, prior to that when Europe and football was a more even playing field, even less than that.
He doesnt think we will ever make a final again and win this time?

you're looking at it from a fan's perspective, but from a player's point view you must understand why it's different, playing against teams of high quality tests a player in a purely playing sense, and I get that
End of the day it’s a runners up medal. No medal matters apart from that of a winners medal.

A team who loses a final is never remembered.

Of course there's an understanding there... and he further clarifies it with an aspect where I think he's saying "but it's 2nd and thats disappointing"

But from a fans perspective, at a time when yet again the mentality is being questioned after the last few weeks, it's hardly the best line he could have came out with

But teams who lose finals aren't remembered, and 2nd in Glasgow is nowhere...

I've always been a big fan and back him to have a great season next season.

What impresses me is that, to coin an overused (and sometimes incorrectly used) phrase, he just gets it. Not in the way that people usually associate that statement but he knows what is required and the sacrifices he needs to make to be the best version of himself at Rangers. I honestly believe he doesn't necessarily enjoy it but he is being paid to do a job and he understands the necessary requirements. He won't always get it right but he's been a terrific servant.

He is also very honest which people don't like nowadays, but it is admirable.

He doesnt think we will ever make a final again and win this time?

Most likely he doesn't, that squad, was and is a damn sight better than the current one. He might feel that was his chance to win it.

He's likely thinking things are going to change again this summer, if we qualify for the CL then we won't play in the EL next year. Likewise, he's another year older and time marches on. If we win the League every year for the next few years and qualify for CL, then we won't reach another final any time soon.

A lot of shite, our support, still routinely waxes lyrically about that run to Manchester.
I agree getting to a europa final is a massive achievement and a player like Goldson will find it hard to better that run.

But most of the team from Manchester get slaughtered on here regularly for both on and off the pitch issues, Barry, Thomson, Broadfoot, Whittaker, hemdani

I'm pretty sure a European Final would not have been on his radar when he was lying with staples holding has chest together from belly button to shoulder level. Winning a medal in an elite European competition, and his league and cup medals here, is a remarkable achievement after what he's been through.
I'd still bench him atm though.

I agree getting to a europa final is a massive achievement and a player like Goldson will find it hard to better that run.

But most of the team from Manchester get slaughtered on here regularly for both on and off the pitch issues, Barry, Thomson, Broadfoot, Whittaker, hemdani

I don't see many people slaughter Hemdani tbh. Broadfoot and Whittaker for a variety of reasons.

Ferguson and Thomson get it tight because of the media work they do, but I don't remember anyone digging them out for what they tried to achieve that season. It was an extraordinary run and a memorable experience for the entire support.

That's why I don't believe the whole 2nd place is nothing crowd, our history in Europe doesn't cater for that mindset. It's not as if we are tripping over European honours.

Goldson said it’s likely the biggest medal he will win. And then clarified that it’s because it was a European final. He wasn’t saying he was happy with runner up, nor that he categorically did not think he would ever win it again (which is unlikely). People are just desperate to be annoyed with him it seems. While his time is likely up, he has been a great servant and worked hard to recover from where he was. He clearly loves the club and is a role model for younger players.

End of the day it’s a runners up medal. No medal matters apart from that of a winners medal.

A team who loses a final is never remembered.

But the players who played in it are entitled to remember it no?

It's his opinion. It's his medals. No one on here will ever be in the position where they have such a dilemma. End of story really.

I will add to that from a supporters point of view- I was at Helicopter Sunday at Easter Road, Dunfermline 2003, Rugby Park 2011. All crazy title wins.

I was also at the Europa League Final and the whole build up and day and occasion blows any of those title wins out the water in my memories. I think of Leipzig and Seville every day. I've not thought about any of those title wins in a long time.

Relax a bit. Don't be so staunch on the Internet.

Actually very sad this thread, but let's face it just another thread for posters to have a go at Goldson.

After where we came from and with the way football is with finances getting to a European final and only losing on penalties is a magnificent achievement.

But as normal on here some want to play it down because they don't like Goldson.

He is in good company with right enough, because Tav , Kent , Aribo , also get/got unwarranted abuse of some on here.

Again , look across the city , even after 20 odd years they still treat that team got beat in the European final as hero's - what do we do, slate a team that done even better (when you compare finances.

He's saying morning to them & for whatever reason they don't say it back. How is that Goldson having no manners?
To be honest, it’s a larger societal issue with kids these days that any form of human interaction is a challenge, due to how fixated they are on social media and their phones.

That’s for another thread but.

Incredible what folk will force themselves to get worked up over, absolutely nothing wrong with Goldson’s comments.

Some amount of clowns on twitter taking his comments about the younger players at Rangers completely the wrong way and having a dig at Goldson.

Twitter is chock-a-block with performatively staunch bellends, who thrive on out of context information and use it to have a go at the players on a daily basis. It's like the match thread on here, but all day every day. Just shit take after shit take, coming thick and fast.

There's a lot of people who think Goldson's time at Rangers is done, and now a lot of people have picked up on that and ran with it.

I don't know whether he will or he won't be here next season. But, I don't understand why a section of our support seems to delight in the prospect of belittling and tearing down our players at every opportunity. It's a fucking long shot at present, but we could finish the season treble winners, and it would be in no part thanks to these utterly brain-dead shit heels, who do nothing but thrive on misery.

It's not up to Tav or Goldson to instill manners and respect into youth players. Jeezo.
As captain & vice captain they shouldn’t be role models? Especially when he’s referencing U18’s & U16’s who are between the ages of about 14-17.

If he speaks to a youth player once & they don’t do what he says he just “gives up, can’t be bothered”.

Maybe if you dae a jobby Connor the youth players will wipe yer arse for ye Connor.

Horrible mentality for a vice captain. He’ll never make a coach or manager with that POV.

As captain & vice captain they should be role models?

If he speaks to a youth player once & they don’t do what he says he just “gives up, can’t be bothered”.

Maybe if you dae a jobby Connor the youth players will wipe yer arse for ye Connor.

Horrible mentality for a vice captain. He’ll never make a coach or manager with that POV.
Maybe he doesn't want to be a coach or manager.

He was also talking about the young players are different from today then they were when he was young.

It's funny , because there have been plenty of post on here throughout the years slating young players attitude and lifestyles .

Latest posts

Back