Talking Transitions - Connor Goldson

As captain & vice captain they shouldn’t be role models? Especially when he’s referencing U18’s & U16’s who are between the ages of about 14-17.

If he speaks to a youth player once & they don’t do what he says he just “gives up, can’t be bothered”.

Maybe if you dae a jobby Connor the youth players will wipe yer arse for ye Connor.

Horrible mentality for a vice captain. He’ll never make a coach or manager with that POV.

I'd hazard a guess here that he probably knows what it takes to be a coach or a manager a bit more than you.

What a mental thing to have a go at him about ffs.

Some people will stop at nothing to have a go at Goldson and Tav. Two guys who have been great servants to the club.

Maybe he doesn't want to be a coach or manager.

He was also talking about the young players are different from today then they were when he was young.

It's funny , because there have been plenty of post on here throughout the years slating young players attitude and lifestyles .
Maybe the young players don’t want to say hello because they’re in awe/too nervous to speak to senior players?

We can slate young players for their attitude & lifestyle, but this is a right weird hill to die on.

As I said, it’s up to senior players to be role models. You don’t try once & give up.

I'd hazard a guess here that he probably knows what it takes to be a coach or a manager a bit more than you.

What a mental thing to have a go at him about ffs.

Some people will stop at nothing to have a go at Goldson and Tav. Two guys who have been great servants to the club.
He literally says in the podcast “John speaks the young boys more often than me, I’ve tried it once but when they don’t take it on board I just leave it, can’t be bothered. Things are different these days” :)) Tremendous people management approach there

Maybe don’t go on a podcast with your pals from lower league days & spout utter drivel

Maybe the young players don’t want to say hello because they’re in awe/too nervous to speak to senior players?

We can slate young players for their attitude & lifestyle, but this is a right weird hill to die on.

As I said, it’s up to senior players to be role models. You don’t try once & give up.
Its up the young players to make an impression. If they are shy then they will never make it at Rangers. Maybe they are just arrogant.

A hill to die on? What the %^*& are you on about.

Role model, I would say any young player should look up to Goldson , a person who made it in football after his heart problem .

Let's face it , it's just a chance for you and others to take things out of context and have a go at Goldson.

He literally says in the podcast “John speaks the young boys more often than me, I’ve tried it once but when they don’t take it on board I just leave it, can’t be bothered. Things are different these days” :)) Tremendous people management approach there

Maybe don’t go on a podcast with your pals from lower league days & spout utter drivel
Maybe don't listen to it then, %^*& we need to read the utter drivel you type on here because you don't like the guy.

But it's not up to him to manage them is it? They've parents and coaches and it's a societal issue.

Different if he was their actual coach and he just gave up but we are only talking passing conversations here.

I'm sure it's pretty frustrating to have young guys ignoring what you're saying..he doesn't have to speak to them at all.

Its up the young players to make an impression. If they are shy then they will never make it at Rangers. Maybe they are just arrogant.

A hill to die on? What the %^*& are you on about.

Role model, I would say any young player should look up to Goldson , a person who made it in football after his heart problem .

Let's face it , it's just a chance for you and others to take things out of context and have a go at Goldson.
It’s up to them to impress the coaching staff & the first team manager, not Connor Goldson. It won’t be his opinion of the youth players that’s going to see any of them to progress. Odd take.

He also says young players are too focused on social media these days, as he’s literally appearing on a podcast that’s plastered all over YouTube/twitter. Irony :))

But it's not up to him to manage them is it? They've parents and coaches and it's a societal issue.

Different if he was their actual coach and he just gave up but we are only talking passing conversations here.

I'm sure it's pretty frustrating to have young guys ignoring what you're saying..he doesn't have to speak to them at all.
It is a societal issue.

This happens in every walk of life. In every job essentially.

I’m sure clement tells the senior players lots of things & they then don’t carry them out in the game. Doesn’t mean he just gives up does he?

Maybe don't listen to it then, %^*& we need to read the utter drivel you type on here because you don't like the guy.
Hard not to when it’s plastered all over social media, something he says footballers are obsessed by these days

It is a societal issue.

This happens in every walk of life. In every job essentially.

I’m sure clement tells the senior players lots of things & they then don’t carry them out in the game. Doesn’t mean he just gives up does he?

Yes because Clement is their actual manager. I literally said that in my post.

Connor Goldson- part time centre half, part time under 13s life consultant.

It’s up to them to impress the coaching staff & the first team manager, not Connor Goldson. It won’t be his opinion of the youth players that’s going to see any of them to progress. Odd take.

He also says young players are too focused on social media these days, as he’s literally appearing on a podcast that’s plastered all over YouTube/twitter. Irony :))
you have no idea about football if you think young players or new signings for that matter are not there to impress in front of the established players

I don't think I've ever seen Goldson on X, insta or any social media

Youtube is not a social media platform, it's for sharing videos

When is it ever a good idea to persist with giving unsolicited advice to people that clearly don't want to take on board what someone in a more senior position is telling them? There does come a point where you think, 'I'm wasting my time here' and it seems that Connor is unwilling to help or advise people that don't listen. I've met a lot of people like that in my working career, you can't force people to listen to you.

He didn't once bring up wanting to be a manager post football, either. In fact, what he said about his future post playing career made it seem like he's thinking of doing something unrelated to the game.

Ultimately, a lot of those youngsters are never going to make the grade within football. Never mind at Rangers. If you're a young player at Rangers, refusing to listen to senior player's advice, you're more than likely not going to make it. Every single senior pro involved at the top level of the mens game, routinely say that it's the young players that listen and learn, that are more often the ones that make it to the top in football.

you have no idea about football if you think young players or new signings for that matter are not there to impress in front of the established players

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge of the internal workings of a football dressing room & culture …

Ok now I know you’re defo at it :)) YouTube isn’t a social media platform. Heard it all now.

When is it ever a good idea to persist with giving unsolicited advice to people that clearly don't want to take on board what someone in a more senior position is telling them? There does come a point where you think, 'I'm wasting my time here' and it seems that Connor is unwilling to help or advise people that don't listen. I've met a lot of people like that in my working career, you can't force people to listen to you.

He didn't once bring up wanting to be a manager post football, either. In fact, what he said about his future post playing career made it seem like he's thinking of doing something unrelated to the game.

Ultimately, a lot of those youngsters are never going to make the grade within football. Never mind at Rangers. If you're a young player at Rangers, refusing to listen to senior player's advice, you're more than likely not going to make it. Every single senior pro involved at the top level of the mens game, routinely say that it's the young players that listen and learn, that are more often the ones that make it to the top in football.
I do get what you are saying but, it could be its how he is giving his advice that's making them not want to listen to him? Maybe they listen to other senior players!

Spot on. And, what he does do as a role model will be the embodiment of a human who never let adversity in his life keep him down. He is also in the gym every day after training and lives his life scandal free away from football, is committed to his family and keeps himself in ridiculous shape for his age and stage. Personally, i think thats a better example to young players than trying to get someone to listen who cant be bothered with your advice.

Its not the same as X/Twitter etc but, you can also add comments on it and I think its slightly different again if you have premium YouTube.

Don’t disagree with many of your points.

We’ve probably all experienced what you describe in your first point. Giving up is counterproductive in most cases.

Some people on here just don’t get perspective or nuance. If something isn’t 100% brilliant, they moan like feck. This place is actually depressing. I don’t know how some folk get through each day with their attitudes; seems so effortful to always be looking for the most negative angle. I swear some of our fans could win the lottery and complain that it was more last week.

I do get what you are saying but, it could be its how he is giving his advice that's making them not want to listen to him? Maybe they listen to other senior players!

Maybe they do, that wouldn't be a damming indictment on Goldson, though. Some people are better at giving advice and others are better at bridging generational divides than others. It's not something to get particularly worked up about.

Tav for instance might be excellent at dealing with younger players. Goldson might be better at dealing with the higher ups at the club. It takes all sorts of people to have a harmonious working environment.

I just find it absurd, that a section of the support has gotten so bent out of shape about it. It was a podcast that went very deeply into his personal experience working in football and how he deals with it. Every player is going to have a different approach to their career. Some senior players don't even speak to reserve players or their team mates full stop.

Don’t disagree with many of your points.

We’ve probably all experienced what you describe in your first point. Giving up is counterproductive in most cases.

It's only counterproductive, in an instance in which Connor Goldson works exclusively with younger players. He doesn't.

There's likely other players in the dressing room that bridge the generation gap a lot easier. Hopefully while being able to impart wisdom or advice to them.

People have different skills. Especially those in prominent positions within an organisation. It's unrealistic to expect and demand everyone is good at everything.

Football is and has gone through a strange transition within the last decade, whereby young players now have an absolutely mental amount of power over their own careers. Goldson said he can't relate to that, because when he came up at Shrewsbury he was on £70 quid a week and his focus was solely on being in the first team. Modern youth players have seemingly different priorities, in his opinion.

I still look back on the run to Seville with fond memories. Outwith the birth of my kids it’s probably up there as one of the greatest moments for me. Everything pre kick off and up to the equaliser was magical - the run to the final was epic.

It’s the best away trip I’ve ever been on and I’ve done many in my lifetime pre 2012.

And my standards and expectations of Rangers have never been lost.

As captain & vice captain they shouldn’t be role models? Especially when he’s referencing U18’s & U16’s who are between the ages of about 14-17.

If he speaks to a youth player once & they don’t do what he says he just “gives up, can’t be bothered”.

Maybe if you dae a jobby Connor the youth players will wipe yer arse for ye Connor.

Horrible mentality for a vice captain. He’ll never make a coach or manager with that POV.

Does he want to be?

I bet almost every player who has won a Scottish League title would swap it to play in a European Final.

Your post reads exactly how I took it, that the team is full of players with a loser mentality, happy to accept second best, when that's not true, they make mistakes at the worst of times, but not one of them is settling for second.
depends what you’re finishing second in.

The Europa league against teams with budgets far bigger than ours I’d say of course you want to win it but you’re allowed to be proud you got to the final

A lot of shite, our support, still routinely waxes lyrically about that run to Manchester.
16yrs on and I've still never watched the final and never will, same as seville, the run to both finals were fantastic snd etched on my brain but it just hurts too much to watch both finals.. 1st one we totally shat it, 2nd one we should have won it, which hurts most..

This has just popped up on Youtube so apologies if already posted.

90 minutes long but am sure it will be worth listening too...Particularly from when he joins 'The Famous' from around 46 minutes.
Listened to this earlier. Really enjoyed it and Connor comes across great.

I met him a few times when he stayed in Bishopbriggs and was always approachable for the young kids looking for a selfie.

His bit about feeling guilty that he’s passed on his heart issues to his two boys was heart wrenching but at least they know what to look out for I suppose.

16yrs on and I've still never watched the final and never will, same as seville, the run to both finals were fantastic snd etched on my brain but it just hurts too much to watch both finals.. 1st one we totally shat it, 2nd one we should have won it, which hurts most..
2nd one we what it too but at least we played some fantastic stuff en route to 2022, whereas 2008 was dire in the main.

Horses for courses I suppose.

I’d love to hear the players thoughts on why Gio flopped domestically because that’s the 2nd player I’ve heard say that tactically, in Europe, Gio was superb.

do I want Goldson with us next season? No. But he said very little wrong in that interview, saying he finds it tough to give advice and then it be ignored, basically saying his energy is better used elsewhere.

Not all leaders, captains, managers etc use the same approach to what they do.

depends what you’re finishing second in.

The Europa league against teams with budgets far bigger than ours I’d say of course you want to win it but you’re allowed to be proud you got to the final
Are you agreeing with me or just repeating it a different way?

I get the feeling people have watched this absolutely choking to find something to be offended by. Either unable to understand context or just being deliberately obtuse.

The vast majority of people won't have watched the full interview, and will just have watched the out of context snips taken and ran with whatever commentary the muppet that snipped it started off with.

Snowballs from there.

I've been sent approx 3 minutes of a 90 minute video with the suggestion we should be outraged at his comments - the usual with virtually everything these days. People don't have the attention span for anything and crave twitter length controversy snippets.

To be honest, it’s a larger societal issue with kids these days that any form of human interaction is a challenge, due to how fixated they are on social media and their phones.

That’s for another thread but.

Incredible what folk will force themselves to get worked up over, absolutely nothing wrong with Goldson’s comments.
I’d go as far as to say if it were Sterling who said it we’d have a polar opposite reaction.

I've been critical of his performances and I think there is obvious regression.

However I thought he spoke very well in that. Good attitude to things and a good work ethic etc.

As i say, I think the clock has to be ticking on his time with us, but fair play to how he spoke on that interview. Impressive imo.

I have been Connor Goldson's biggest critic as a Rangers player but he comes across as a very decent human being who appreciates what he has in his life and worked hard to get there.
But some of his comments, I think, show that he doesn't have the mental strength to be a top player for us ( all about opinions )
When he leaves us, and I hope it is this season, I think most of our fans will wish him well.
P.s. It was his fault in Seville lol

He should have binned it and erased that achievement from his memory eh, second place in one of Europe's elite competitions - imagine cherishing that as a player who has come back from heart surgery, where you nearly lost everything, bloody losers mentality!

FFS mate.
I agree with your point but I personally wouldn’t say a runners up medal was my favourite. I happen to think he shouldn’t either as the late great Fernando said “second is nothing”!

Nothing wrong with interview. Like he said, he’s not someone you always hear from so good to hear him chatting in more detail.

As others have alluded to, you know with Goldson people will go out their way to find a negative. It’s embarrassing.

Others are questioning his character, I actually see him as the type who will take losing his place lying down. Hopefully he finishes the season strong, if he plays.

Back