Tav and Goldson

apologies for posting something negative but Tav was poor today, I don't like singling our players out but he was poor and has been for the past few weeks.
I hope he gets his confidence back soon, you can see he is disappointed in himself, when the camera zooms in on him after a poor pass or delivery.

Definitely feel that Goldson (and I'm not his biggest fan), is suffering slightly from having to cover for Tav.
I have said for years that we will not win the league with the right hand side (when it was Tav and Candieas) we have/had.
He is an average player (Tav) that's all
Nowhere near the level of Barasic.
I'd be giving polster a run or Flan when he fit.

I don't think Goldson did a lot wrong today.

Katic looked ill at ease with the lump of wood up front although Clancy gave him absolutely nothing protection wise.

Tav is what he is. Hugely talented but liable for a brainfart. Not convinced Polster would be any better.
Tav is not hugely talented that is the problem.

Definitely feel that Goldson (and I'm not his biggest fan), is suffering slightly from having to cover for Tav.
I have said for years that we will not win the league with the right hand side (when it was Tav and Candieas) we have/had.
He is an average player (Tav) that's all
Nowhere near the level of Barasic.
I'd be giving polster a run or Flan when he fit.
You are correct about Goldson suffering through Tav as have other centre backs.

A player that gets dropped when playing well and then reappears after a few games out into a hard game and expected to just perform.

Ridiculous decision from Gerrard imo. Stop fucking about with the back four unless you're swapping Tav out. Try that for a change.
he is undroppable for some reason.

I thought Goldson was solid today but his distribution is piss poor. Aside from Tavs error I thought our problems started with Ojo and Arfield. Davis, Aribo and Kamara looked poor because 2 of the 3 in front of them were anonymous and caused the midfield three to get caught in possession all day. Goldson, Alfie and Barasic the only pass marks today

Don’t think that’s a fair one today mate. He spent most of the first half playing excellent diagonals to Ojo and Barisic wide-left because Hickey was leaving them in acres of space. Hearts ‘fixed’ that second-half by switching Hickey to the left-back area.

Brought this up before Tavernier is probably the worst defender I’ve ever seen playing for Rangers and I’ve been going since 1964

I thought Goldson had a good game today,possibly our best player on the day?
Tav had a shocker and maybe if Flanagan is fit he might well play on Thursday night when we will be under a lot of pressure?
Sorry, what?! In the last 10 minutes Ikpeazu turned him inside out inside the box and Goodson was left with his back to the player facing the goal, and then a few minutes later he tried to dribble it past Ikpeazu again, got tackled and only through sheer luck Ikpeazu was injured from his own tackle otherwise the break was on because Goodson didn’t have a clue where the ball went.

He’s a bomb scare, and not in the Amoruso and Bougherra style where they were also rock solid at points. In every single game I’ve watched this season he has been shown up with his positioning and decision making. Teachers pet though.
Katic RCB and Helander LCB is what I want to see.

Is Tav hugely talented though? Or a player who is ropey in defence at the best of times and over hits most of his crosses

No, he’s hugely talented.

One who has made some pretty stupid mistakes of late but a talented player nonetheless.

Would there be any merit in trying Tav forward in the wide right position and ha e Flanagan behind him as full back? I honestly think that would work with those two just as it did with Tav and Candeias.

Tav offers so much going forward it's just these horrid lapses at the back I fear will end up costing us the league. But those two would form a formidable partnership on the right IMO.

I don't think chopping and changing CB's every game helps.

That's not an excuse for Tavernier's poor defending.

Goldson was fine today, Katić not as good but was up against Ikpeazu who was getting away with murder.

Being English I think Tav and Goldson are good pals with Gerrard hence they seem to be undropable. Tav should be dropped for Flanagan.
What?:rolleyes:o_O PM me your dealers number lol Tav the Englishman, should be dropped for Flanagan, the Englishman and ex-teammate of our manager because the other 2 are pals with Gerrard because they are English?

I rate Tav but he is shot confidence wise imho and could be doing with being benched even for a game or 2, Flanagan would be ideal if fit against Porto being the better defender and solid!! But we will start the game with our captain, who won't hide, can give him that!!

That diagonal 'World Cup Wullie' ball Goldson plays around 10 times a game genuinely infuriates me

Strange because that "ball" was a success a number of times today (not always). If Barisic is open like that in yards of space, you would be screaming at him for a square pass. Goldson was okay today, along with Barisic and Morelos, I felt they were the only outfield players who weren't poor. Tav was horrendous, after his mistake his head went down and he looked shot of confidence, needs dropped sadly.

Not stripped of captaincy or cashed in on in Jan, just dropped and I'm sure he would regain his place.

Can’t have a captain who is prone to brain farts. A captain should be solid, dependable and reliable with unquestionable decision making. Tav looks like the job is too big for him these days. Insisting on taking that free kick over borna suggested to me that he was more interested in himself than the greater good of the team. Goldson was ok on the day I see he and tav arguing a lot at Ibrox I’m not convinced the two communicate well together.

Katic looked ill at ease with the lump of wood up front although Clancy gave him absolutely nothing protection wise.

Tav is what he is. Hugely talented but liable for a brainfart. Not convinced Polster would be any better.

I actually said to my brother that I thought that Goldson was probably my MOTM, although to be honest tbere was not a long list of contenders.

We cannot overlook the fact that we have conceded 3 goals in our last 6 games, all down 100% to dreadful errors by Tav. These errors have been very damaging. IMHO probably costing us any chance of progress from our EL group and then dropping SPFL points the game immediately following us reaching top spot to a poor Hearts side. Big call from manager on whether or not to drop Tav, he is not playing well, yesterday his crossing was woeful. Tav is beyond doubt my favourite player but IMHO it sends out a poor signal to squad players that some players are bullet proof in managers eyes and despite repeated costly errors will still be selected if Tav is not benched.

Stop fucking about with the back four unless you're doing what I want or I’m throwing my toys out of my pram.
Would this be closer to what you really mean?

Yes boohoo give me what I want. :rolleyes:

We have a team member who has had a hand in giving away several goals this season. At what point in time do you think we should address it? Seasons end when we finish second?

Looks like I need to extend my self imposed exile from FF for another 24 hours to allow the trauma of staying on the same number of points and goal difference as the filth, 9 games in, to wear off.

This place is mental after any points dropped.

Goldson got pass marks

Katic had a tough gig but thought he was rattled - that said - he assisted the goal

Tav - needs taken out the picture for a couple of games

The way to find out with Pollster is by giving him a run in the team. The few times I've seen him he looks good on the ball, or do we wait until Tavenier costs us another match.Taveniers crosses from dead ball situations was a strong point where's that gone.

Yes boohoo give me what I want. :rolleyes:

We have a team member who has had a hand in giving away several goals this season. At what point in time do you think we should address it? Seasons end when we finish second?
No but, not when we’re top of the league.
Also, when addressing the problem, I’d like the solution to be an, all things considered, better option.
Not an “anybody but Tavernier” series of experiments.

We have to keep improving, and if players are not performing then they need dropped. We have a squad, and should be able to drop/rest any player who isn't up to scratch. Tav for some reason is having a hard time of it and should sit out a few games. Goldson is not the standard of defender we need and is found out time and time again.
I know we are still growing as a club after 2012, and we are improving, but players will come and go along the way. I think we have played some great football this year, and I think our gaffer will know where we need to improve.

The only time they seem to communicate, effectively, is when they’re blaming each other for something.

Tavernier finds himself in Goldson’s area of the pitch too much - Goldson let’s Tav get in his area of the pitch too much.
The amount he gets caught out of position is frightening shows even more with Jack not their to cover him. Imo looked every part a wigan player today. Team weren't great but what a stupid goal to lose. Hats off to the wee guy for his finish should never have been there for him however.

Back