Tav for the own goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinpointing Tav for our lack of silverware given the dozens of dross he’s played with and is still playing with is insane to me. The guy has contributed literally more than anyone this past decade, so therefore deserves the least criticism.
I respect your opinion, I don’t share it.

Pinpointing Tav for our lack of silverware given the dozens of dross he’s played with and is still playing with is insane to me. The guy has contributed literally more than anyone this past decade, so therefore deserves the least criticism.
I have been going to Ibrox since I was 14 and honestly mate defending Tav when anybody who has a football head knows he is woeful costing us either loss of possesion in major games or simply getting schooled by speedy wingers and costing us games points etc, is not the way forward for us we desperately need a better full back,not just that a new back line but is without a doubt in all my years following my team one of the worst defenders we have had in terms of the simple common sense defenders need,he is a nice young guy ,would never give the team a bad name by his behaviour ,I agree but for the name of God admit what is staring us in the face

I have been going to Ibrox since I was 14 and honestly mate defending Tav when anybody who has a football head knows he is woeful costing us either loss of possesion in major games or simply getting schooled by speedy wingers and costing us games points etc, is not the way forward for us we desperately need a better full back,not just that a new back line but is without a doubt in all my years following my team one of the worst defenders we have had in terms of the simple common sense defenders need,he is a nice young guy ,would never give the team a bad name by his behaviour ,I agree but for the name of God admit what is staring us in the face
Of course Tav has his defensive faults, but they’re outweighed by his positives. If he was better defensively and still as good going forward, he would be Kyle Walker. Sure, sign someone better defensively, but we’d literally score half as many goals. Can’t agree that someone like Tony Ralston or John Flanagan are better options.

I don't like criticising Tav given all he has done for us, but every week we get caught with the same scenario of Tav stranded up top, then our centre back covers across to the RB area and a gaping hole appears in our box as a result. It's more prevalent now he's less mobile to get back.

Not being quicker to close him down? He didn't even try to xhallenfe him from picking a long ball out of the air, getting it under control, sorting himself out and making the cross. he rolled away and watched it happen.

Nothing Tav did or didn't do caused Lundstram to knock an aimless cross into his own goal with not one Celtic player anywhere near him.

You think the record of scoring a shed load of goals only benefits him personally, and not the team he’s scored them for?

If each of the other 10 positions over the last 9 years were also record breakers, we’d have won more than 3 trophies. But that is so obvious, it shouldn’t need pointing out.
Evidently it has, we have played a system that lets him get up the park, then get rinsed in the space behind him. He racks up pens and goals to the detriment of keeping the back door shut, so yes the main beneficiary of these goals clearly has been him and you cannot have record breakers all over the team as you don’t have pens to give to everyone.

Evidently it has, we have played a system that lets him get up the park, then get rinsed in the space behind him. He racks up pens and goals to the detriment of keeping the back door shut, so yes the main beneficiary of these goals clearly has been him and you cannot have record breakers all over the team as you don’t have pens to give to everyone.
If you think Tav’s defending leads to us conceding more goals than his non-pens goals and assists then I can’t argue further.

Most fans in the world would be delighted to have a player contributing what Tav does year after year, and our fans try to make out like all he does is score penalties and concede goal after goal. It’s really odd.

If you think Tav’s defending leads to us conceding more goals than his non-pens goals and assists then I can’t argue further.

Most fans in the world would be delighted to have a player contributing what Tav does year after year, and our fans try to make out like all he does is score penalties and concede goal after goal. It’s really odd.
I didn’t say he is at fault for more that he scores, but when all is said and done, he’s ran his race and I think it would be better if we allowed Sterling to make that position his own without Tav around as having someone hang around like that just puts u due pressure on the guy taking over the position.

I didn’t say he is at fault for more that he scores, but when all is said and done, he’s ran his race and I think it would be better if we allowed Sterling to make that position his own without Tav around as having someone hang around like that just puts u due pressure on the guy taking over the position.
Know what you’re saying mate, but I think Sterling is a far better centre mid.

I’d like Tav to stay one more year as I think there will need to be a major overhaul and I think it makes sense to have one experienced consistency - and he’s the main one in comparison to Goldson, Jack, Lundstram, Borna etc.

Fair enough I’m feeling generous so let’s give other fans the, shall we say, “luxury” of him.

I don't, he could've done more to block the cross, I reckon. The cross should have been dealt with a lot better by Lundstrum who 'finished' the og, that for me is more crucial.
Both could have done better, but just because Lundstram put it in doesn’t absolve Tav of blame. Particularly when it’s an ongoing issue. He wasn’t aggressive enough in the first 20 seconds of the previous derby and that did cost us.

Both could have done better, but just because Lundstram put it in doesn’t absolve Tav of blame. Particularly when it’s an ongoing issue. He wasn’t aggressive enough in the first 20 seconds of the previous derby and that did cost us.
He got caught napping in the last game. He can't cope with Maeda that's for sure.

I'm fed up saying it, said it for years he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Sure his goals are immense but there is too much reliant on him, he takes all the dead balls, all the pens, all the throw inside but his defending is abysmal as well as his passing.
Years ago he was giving the ball away 30 yards from the opponents goal and it's never changed. The amount of goals against us that start from there is incredible. Then there is how many goals we have lost woth him either being caught under the ball or failing to see the guy behind him running to get on the end of crosses.
I'll say it again, he's nowhere near hood enough and we need a proper defender in there. The goals will still. One for tram and better yet they will be more spread throughout.

Nothing Tav did or didn't do caused Lundstram to knock an aimless cross into his own goal with not one Celtic player anywhere near him.
If Tav had tried his arse, worst case it’s a corner, more likely a throw in or in the dream world of Tav fan boys, a clearance.

If Tav had tried his arse, worst case it’s a corner, more likely a throw in or in the dream world of Tav fan boys, a clearance.

That's very simplistic.

He could also have been skinned by diving in and left Maeda in a better position.

Nobody has a clue what would have happened, the only better outcome to that situation from Tavs perpsective was blocking the cross.

He could have got a but closer but he kept Maeda on his wesker foot and resulted in the cross that was put in was a very easily defended cross to nobody.

It's been a feature of our full backs for years that in those situations they don't dive in, obviously coached.

I'm not saying Tav shouldn't have done better but nothing excuses Lundstram, with not a Celtic player anywhere near, turning an aimless cross into his own goal.

The goal is 100% on Lundstrum for goodness sake.

He literally had zero pressure on him and tucked it away in the corner. It's not even a sclaffed clearance or it's come in at pace and he's not had time to react. He's passed it into the corner.

Anyone trying to aportion any blame onto any other player for that goal, no matter what mistake they made, is at it. It's one of a few goals you see where it's literally the fault of a complete f*ck up by one man.

He literally had zero pressure on him and tucked it away in the corner. It's not even a sclaffed clearance or it's come in at pace and he's not had time to react. He's passed it into the corner.

Anyone trying to aportion any blame onto any other player for that goal, no matter what mistake they made, is at it. It's one of a few goals you see where it's literally the fault of a complete f*ck up by one man.

Tavernier was poor in cutting out Maeda's cross (and not for the first time) is what people are pointing out.

Tavernier was poor in cutting out Maeda's cross (and not for the first time) is what people are pointing out.

But in this particular case it doesn't really matter what anyone else did.

A defender can't cut out every single cross. He struggles big time against Maeda as he's rapid. Crosses are going to come into the box. In every game of football, both teams get several crosses in per game. What you don't see in many games of football is what Lundstrum then did. It's 100% on him that particular goal.

Most goals you can say x has lost his man, y should have tucked and z should have shown him the line or whatever. But that particular goal is blatantly the fault of one man and anyone trying to say anything else is off their head.

To be clear, if O'Reilly steps onto that cut back and scores or even if Lundstrum is under pressure and bumdles it in trying to clear it, Tav is largely responsible for the goal. But, in the circumstances it went in, its essentially completely irrelevant what anyone else but Lundstram did. It's an incredible own goal.

Last edited:
Tav looked as if he'd been watching his Barisic on the art of Defending DVD.

Back off, let people cross or even score, just make sure you don't get skinned.

He is set up for failure 1v1 with Maeda. The guy is freakishly fast and Tav needs cover to deal with him. He does the same thing every time he gets the ball, yet we still have Tav alone trying to block crosses.

He is set up for failure 1v1 with Maeda. The guy is freakishly fast and Tav needs cover to deal with him. He does the same thing every time he gets the ball, yet we still have Tav alone trying to block crosses.
The Kilmarnock fullback won’t have the same issue. The guy is a standard player, just Tavernier is worse than that.

The Kilmarnock fullback won’t have the same issue. The guy is a standard player, just Tavernier is worse than that.
Not saying he's great, he has no touch and rarely hits the target, but his speed cant be denied.
It has given us issues since he arrived and we have set up the same way every time.

You recognise the fact Kilmarnock and others sit deeper and leave less space in behind than we do, means it's harder for Maeda ti utilise his pace in those games aye? I mean surely you realise that?

It's the same reason we had players like Kent who looked far freer in Euro games than away at St Mirren etc.

I'm sure you know that though. I'm not necessarily rushing to defend Tav against Maeda as he struggles every game v him but the Kilmarnock comparison doesn't make sense.

But in this particular case it doesn't really matter what anyone else did.

A defender can't cut out every single cross. He struggles big time against Maeda as he's rapid. Crosses are going to come into the box. In every game of football, both teams get several crosses in per game. What you don't see in many games of football is what Lundstrum then did. It's 100% on him that particular goal.

Most goals you can say x has lost his man, y should have tucked and z should have shown him the line or whatever. But that particular goal is blatantly the fault of one man and anyone trying to say anything else is off their head.

To be clear, if O'Reilly steps onto that cut back and scores or even if Lundstrum is under pressure and bumdles it in trying to clear it, Tav is largely responsible for the goal. But, in the circumstances it went in, its essentially completely irrelevant what anyone else but Lundstram did. It's an incredible own goal.

The point is, he should not be struggling against a long diagonal that his direct opponent is at full stretch to take a touch that puts the ball two yards ahead of him. A full back should be slamming right through the ball there before the opponent can think about taking a second touch.

Tav choose to stand off and admire Maeda strolling into the box and putting the cross in. It's literally schoolboy stuff.

You recognise the fact Kilmarnock and others sit deeper and leave less space in behind than we do, means it's harder for Maeda ti utilise his pace in those games aye? I mean surely you realise that?

It's the same reason we had players like Kent who looked far freer in Euro games than away at St Mirren etc.

I'm sure you know that though. I'm not necessarily rushing to defend Tav against Maeda as he struggles every game v him but the Kilmarnock comparison doesn't make sense.
They also have fullbacks that can deal with an easy floating cross by not standing watching it float over his head initially then admiring the opponent being able to control it take another three touches then put in a dangerous cross.

The point is, he should not be struggling against a long diagonal that his direct opponent is at full stretch to take a touch that puts the ball two yards ahead of him. A full back should be slamming right through the ball there before the opponent can think about taking a second touch.

Tav choose to stand off and admire Maeda strolling into the box and putting the cross in. It's literally schoolboy stuff.

No the point is the goal is clearly the fault of Lundstram. That's nit to say Tav defended it well. He didn't but in terms of fault it's clearly on Lundstram.

Like I said, had OReilly walked onto the cutback and scored then yes its Tavs fault but Lundstram is clearly the man at fault for this goal. It's not even really debatable mate.

No the point is the goal is clearly the fault of Lundstram. That's nit to say Tav defended it well. He didn't but in terms of fault it's clearly on Lundstram.

Like I said, had OReilly walked onto the cutback and scored then yes its Tavs fault but Lundstram is clearly the man at fault for this goal. It's not even really debatable mate.

They're both at fault very clearly.

They're both at fault very clearly.

For this particular goal that's a crazy outlook mate. We had one of our own players, under no pressure pass it past our own goalkeeper.

I guarantee you not even Lundstram blames anyone but himself.

It's a ridiculously avoidable own goal and we will be seeing it replayed for years.

I don't think there's the slightest doubt that their 2nd goal was 100% down to Lundstram. But the fact we have so many fans determined to pin some blame on Tavernier tells us our captain has to move on in the summer for his own sake.
There's a definite argument that at his age, and on recent evidence, Rangers should be moving him on anyway. Despite his overall contribution as a Rangers player.

But he is now at the stage that no matter what he does, us not winning will get pinned on him. If Gerrard really does want Tavernier and offering him huge money, he would be daft to turn that down.

For this particular goal that's a crazy outlook mate. We had one of our own players, under no pressure pass it past our own goalkeeper.

I guarantee you not even Lundstram blames anyone but himself.

It's a ridiculously avoidable own goal and we will be seeing it replayed for years.

That was only made possible by allowing a Celtic player into the box under no pressure.

How can you watch the ball sail over Tav's head, Maeda take a questionable touch before catching and controlling the ball before waltzing into the box and not question how easy it all was for them?

I'm blaming Lundstram equally of course. It's a laughable 'finish' but as a unit, the whole passage of play was horrible.

Agreed, that goal for me is all lundstram.
Davies was poised to clear the ball in with no tims near him, so the defending of the cross was completely irrelevant

That was only made possible by allowing a Celtic player into the box under no pressure.

How can you watch the ball sail over Tav's head, Maeda take a questionable touch before catching and controlling the ball before waltzing into the box and not question how easy it all was for them?

I'm blaming Lundstram equally of course. It's a laughable 'finish' but as a unit, the whole passage of play was horrible.

It is horrible and Ive said repeatedly that Tav does not defend it well and that if a Celtic player or a last ditch Lundstram tackle had put it in then it's on Tav.

But we had our own player, with loads of time literally pass it by our keeper. It's his fault for the goal all day long.

Le
It is horrible and Ive said repeatedly that Tav does not defend it well and that if a Celtic player or a last ditch Lundstram tackle had put it in then it's on Tav.

But we had our own player, with loads of time literally pass it by our keeper. It's his fault for the goal all day long.

Let's agree to disagree mate.

I dearly hope we can defend better as a whole team next season.

I respect your opinion, I don’t share it.
Me neither he has cost us dear over the years ,my opinion and many others.

He was skinned by Maeda a few times (becoming the norm) and lazily backs off him before sticking a leg out to try and block a cross. He’s culpable.

Aside from that, his passing today and all round ‘leadership’ were way below par.

The cup final has to be his last game against them. It’s time for a new era.
I will be up tomorrow night and cheer him and the rest of our team on while they wear our colours but I know deep down that he is a mistake waiting to happen and sometimes I just put my hand in my head when a fast wingers presses him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back