Tav in need of a rest or more competition needed?

Can't believe this guy is our captain,awful defender and when he is not contributing as an attacking player he is an absolute liability.

Lack of football educated out in force in this one.

He's by far the best right back in the country, and is one of our best players by a distance.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should chuck it.

Polster is his back up now. Tav is right off his game just now but he's made a big contribution this season. What it does show is how ineffective the players around him are when it comes to creating chances. Pointless trying to continue to gloss over it, we have a serious problem with creating chances and lack of quality.

Tav when on his game is fantastic, when he's not he's as bad as a man down. He's honking. There's no inbetween and that sadly goes for a few in the squad.

I'd still have him over any other RB in the country.

If Tavernier is our main man out with Morelos then we must be really bad. Tavernier is the worst Rangers captain since Craig Paterson in the 1980’s and I would grab £8m in a minute for this guy.
He must be no bad if you think we can get £8m for him. If he's as shit as you are alluding to. Well get know where near that figure - right?

I honestly dont know why Tav gets stick by some of our fans, it is 100% un justified. For the last 3 seasons he has by far been our best player and his stats agree with that. His defending has improved hugely aswell.He didnt have a great game yday but nowhere near the worse. The issue was the midfield as it is 99% of the time.

Our attacking midfielders create so little we are overly reliant on Tavernier's deliveries into the box.

God knows where we'd be in the league without his assists.

Those saying he's like a man down when he's not attacking - what exactly did he do wrong the other night? Or the Kilmarnock game before that?

He's the whipping boy and people always roll out the Tav bashing threads when they don't have anything better to say.

Still too many with their eyes closed and fingers in their ears going "Nah-nah-nah, not listening" about Tav.
The manager last night, finally, came out about the elephant in the room "we lack leadership". Who do you think that was mainly aimed at?

He actually said we lacked leadership all over the park… but I agree with you and I am tired defending the indefensible anymore.

"There's a few people getting too comfortable in that dressing room,"
"I seem to be doing it quite a lot" - talking about having to repeatedly tell it like it is.
Both of those statements are definitely about regulars.

"We had no leadership across the board, no Rangers." The manager is saying he wants leaders, if the captain isn't there to lead what's he there for?

It's not about Tav bashing, DT it's about our regular shitshows caused by players the manager needs to set an example repeatedly taking the easy way out. To deny Tav is regularly one of them is wilful delusion.
Hopefully, the manager will now make a few regulars uncomfortable.

I honestly wonder how many games Candeias would get …consistently… if Tavernier wasn’t in the team……

Like most of the team he's unfortunately bang average. We are we are. Resting Tavernier won't make him a better player, IMO
Is there better right back in Scotland certainly better than anything the manky mob have.He was also voted the best right back by UEFA in our recent European run.

He's getting to be the player that divides fan opinion more than any other.

Regardless of what you think of Tav, even with the break in January, I think it would be good to give Polster a game or two and let Tav recover a bit. Let's see a little bit of what his back up can do. Tav has played forty three games already this season and we are only half way through February.

Even his biggest fan can't argue he hasn't been great the last few months.

Last edited:
He's getting to be the player that divides fan opinion more than any other.

Irregardless of what you think of Tav, even with the break in January, I think it would be good to give Polster a game or two and let Tav recover a bit. Let's see a little bit of what his back up can do. Tav has played forty three games already this season and we are only half way through February.

Even his biggest fan can't argue he hasn't been great the last few months.

I’m all for this!

I honestly wonder how many games Candeias would get …consistently… if Tavernier wasn’t in the team……

Two ways of looking at this. The way you phrase the above I'm not sure which one you favour.
I think DC's in the team more often than not as Tav's comfort blanket, to cover for him and he does that pretty well. Don't think many would argue that Candeias's picked for opening up defences, his crossing ability or his finishing.
I bet though, some will say it's only by playing JT that we can afford to pick DC.
They come as a package and it hasn't worked enough for it to be a regular feature. It's tired and ineffective.

Lack of football educated out in force in this one.

He's by far the best right back in the country, and is one of our best players by a distance.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should chuck it.

Love these "I am better than you" posts. A good rule of thumb for them is that the poster shows himself to be anything but. The rule applies here.

"He's by far the best right back in the country, and is one of our best players by a distance."
Yes he is, no question. He has terrific attributes and on his game Tav looks EPL quality. All true.
Then there's the Tav we saw on Saturday who was frankly dung and that was no one-off. Also true.
If you want to cast yourself as a Pep you fall at the first hurdle by not balancing your statements, not looking at a player's good and bad. I'd also suggest actually looking at what he did in the last game rather than just staring at the poster on your bedroom wall and rubbing your groin.

Back