Tavernier needs moved on

He's too eager to get on the offensive and try play CM or RW and get his name in lights instead of concentrating on being a defender.

Sick of watching him get caught out.

They only way he loses his place is to be sold.

Thank u for some great memories but its time we cut the cord and move on
This is exactly the issue , he plays for himself,hopes someone more capable in defense covers for him while he's away sauntering up front. In the past he could cross a ball even his crosses are poor generally and his free kicks .

Who are you keeping? How many signings are you expecting?

Not up to me. But the excuses for the perennial losers needs to stop.

Beale got 9 last summer. I want similar/more and we’ll need that.

RB
CB
CB
LB
CM
CM
RW
LW
ST

We also need to change our set up, formation, shape or a 10 is required too. If we lose Butland then he will need replaced.

No out of contract player should be handed a new deal. Not Jack, not Balogun.

We also look to move on the likes of Ridvan, Lammers, Hagi, Lawrence, Dowell etc.

Postecoglu got 12 in his first summer window.

Has lost any pace he had and it has completely ruined the threat he had going forward and made him terrified of anyone fast on the wing up against him. He even moves more awkwardly. Love the guy, and think he gets a hard time, but his Rangers career should be over this summer.

He's done, it happens to every player. Absolutely dreading next week as that mob swat him aside.

Is there anyone who can have this word in his ear? It would have to be someone not officially employed by the club but close to it. I really don’t want to see another manager fail because of this rot
Rangers are paying him a fortune to identify and solve problems that nearly every fan can see.

He surely to fcuk doesn’t need someone to have a “Word in his ear”.

If he does then we are truly fucked.

What a contribution he has made. I do think though that it may benefit the team not to be so reliant on him. Given his wages, and length left on his contract as well as his age, he will almost certainly remain with us next season.

Got some weirdos that think Rangers won't be anything without James Taverner. As if we are doing so great right now.

You can want Rangers to move on and at the same time acknowledge Tavs contribution to the club up until now.
Got some weirdos that blame James Tavernier for everything, can't even spell his name right.

We've had plenty of opportunities to rest him in early rounds of cup or sub off in games we're winning convincingly, yet never do so.

That said, law of diminishing returns means his assists and goal levels can't be sustained and for all the goals he concedes for us, it's a no brainer to sell or release. Time to rip the band aid off.
To be fair, his goal return is easily sustainable. It’s largely down to penalties, and we’ll continue to get lots of them. So even if he’s making his way down the wing with a zimmer next season he’ll still post a good goal return by virtue of penalties and being a good free kick taker, and I imagine the same guys will still attempt to use this as some sort of justification or making him the main man. But that’s not just not enough, especially when you’re supposed to be the leader, we need real leaders, we need players who can do the defensive bit too, and we sure as hell need players who don’t let the pressure and the expectation get to them when it’s crunch time.

What a contribution he has made. I do think though that it may benefit the team not to be so reliant on him. Given his wages, and length left on his contract as well as his age, he will almost certainly remain with us next season.
If he plays next season we will almost definitely be paying another manager off. It costs more to keep him here than it ever will to let him leave. Even if it’s with us subsidising his wages and get him a team on loan it’ll be cheaper.

This is the thing, see if he’s even half the player we’re told he is by the guys that run around telling anyone who speaks ill of him that they’re a clueless simpleton, we’ll have no trouble shifting him. If he’s still what they say he is then clubs will be queuing up to take him if they know he’s available, and not Saudi clubs either, it’ll be Premier League, Serie A and Bundesliga sides. If he’s as good as they believe. Just get his agent to tell these clubs about his UEFA team of the season pick from 3 years back, his SPL team of the season pick and how he dethroned Graeme Alexander (might have to explain to these clubs who that is) and I’m sure they’ll be asking us to name our price.

This ain’t an attack on Tav by the way, he’s a been a proper value for money signing and he’s done a lot of good for us. But he’s not cut out for leading a club the size to regular silverware, certainly not the kind most of us are after, which is league titles, and his defensive frailties have been an issue in big matches for a long time.

Last edited:
It’s taken a long time for a lot of Rangers fans to agree on Tavernier. I’ve been saying for weeks and weeks he can’t be captain next season or playing regularly. Stick him in midfield for some games but if he’s in defence then heaven help us.
The last thing we need in midfield is another player who can't run. If he can't perform to the sufficient level in his best position then he needs to leave.

I thought he would be like trippier and still be able to play on into his mid thirties at a high level, but his passing and defensive nous is just not good enough. Sadly his legs are going, diminished attacking returns from open play, only really leaving set pieces. Even then when do we ever score from his corners.

Hopefully he can leave as a legend with credit in the bank now. The only alternative would be a change of position, but the same flaws mentioned above may rule that out.

Sorry but that’s just a daily record story; they are as much use as a chocolate fire guard for relevant information.
I don’t read that rag mate. I think I seen it on here. If Gerrard wants him then guaranteed it will be for a huge over inflated fee.
Then again, it’s the Rangers board we’re talking about here who have a proven record in recent years of being inept when it comes to getting the right money unlike the filth.
I don’t read any newspaper mate or click.

Time for Tav to go to Saudi or MLS where the game is slower.

He has regressed so quickly its hard to watch.

If he doesnt score or create now he is a non entity going forward and almost always causes us problems defensively and has done for years.

Huge respect to him but people are lying to themselves if they say he isnt a huge problem.

Time catches up on everybody and sadly it looks like it happened to Tav a couple of months back.

What's pathetic is the absolute glee some people seem to be taking in it. The folk who never took to him, and have had to shut up for years have been back with a vengeance the last 6 weeks or so.

It’s all over for Tavernier now. Age has caught up with him. Organise a farewell for him next week at Hampden come win or lose and end this Tavernier era. We need to move on
He has 2 years left on his contract, you can't just move players on. I read that all the time on here. I've said before I think him and Goldson will be starters next season. It's a grim situation.

Time catches up on everybody and sadly it looks like it happened to Tav a couple of months back.

What's pathetic is the absolute glee some people seem to be taking in it. The folk who never took to him, and have had to shut up for years have been back with a vengeance the last 6 weeks or so.

There will be some simpletons who gloss over all the historic moments Tav has delivered as a Rangers captain because he lost a header to Stokes in 2019 or something.

Back