Tavernier needs moved on

He looks knackered. Isn’t a surprise given how he’s ageing and he’s played 261 games in the last 5 years.

24 goals, 12 assists and shortlisted for POTY. Hes worth keeping, but needs managed now.

Sums up exactly my thoughts - you’ve put in two sentences what I couldn’t in three paragraphs! :D :D

I think he'll stick around for his testimonial then he'll go
And so he should.

He may be letting us down once again, but if he says he wants to stay for his testimonial, I’d welcome that, if he takes a fifth of his current wage :p

He is my youngest son’s favourite player and he is even getting stressed now with him.

Tav I like you, but time is time.

For a player that never hides plays nearly every game is rarely injured unlike the rest and has been a loyal servant. The stick he gets is absolutely unbelievable. Tav is not the reason we have not won as many trophies as we should be winning. WE as a team have not been good enough. Do you honestly all believe if he hadn’t played this last 10 year we would have won more trophies.
He does never hide and he will go down as a rangers legend. He has produced unbelievable goals and assist throughout his time here and led us to a European final whilst finishing top Europa League scorer.

But he is gone physically and has probably been deteriorating since the start of last season. It is to be expected with the miles on the clock, having never really missed a game so it’s not Tav bashing, or anything like that. It’s simply just the truth, and if he starts at right back next season we are resigned to 2nd place. We have criticised the club in recent years for not cutting ties earlier with certain players and letting players run contracts down. This for me should be staring them in the face, it needs to be done this summer.

You a man’s man eh, daft clown.
Ok I take some exception to that. I was alluding to the fact that it was reported that his mrs was getting excited about being “sorted for life” by their next move.

I love the guy but his head has been turned since this talk of moving to the footballing dessert.

This season was massive for us, moves like tav, goldson, barasic and lundstrum at key times have fucked us up.

If he wants to go I wish him the best.

Smith turned it around initially by adding steel and building a new core in ugo, weir, Thomson, then in the summer replaces ugo with Cueller and brought in Naismith and mcculloch, he built a new core and new foundations to a team
With millions of pounds and buying a better calibre of player.

Celtic won three titles in a row in that period and no amount of Barry Ferguson inspirational captaincy could do anything about it.

We, and Ferguson, only won the league again when we went from guys like Fanfan, Rodrigues, Bernard and Mladnovic to guys like Pedro Mendes, Davis, Thompson, Bougherra and Miller.

Players win you leagues, not captains.

Ok I take some exception to that. I was alluding to the fact that it was reported that his mrs was getting excited about being “sorted for life” by their next move.

I love the guy but his head has been turned since this talk of moving to the footballing dessert.

This season was massive for us, moves like tav, goldson, barasic and lundstrum at key times have fucked us up.

If he wants to go I wish him the best.
lol, aye cause they will struggle if they don’t move to Saudi, lot a pish his heads been turned fs.

8 non penalty goals and 11 assists from right back? Fking good numbers by anyone's standards. Use him further fwd. Seems mental to write off that goal contribution without at least trying to use him differently.
Further forward argument in non Celtic games is void. Most of his play comes from deep. He’s done, let’s just accept it.

He has easily been at fault for more goals than what he has contributed (non penalty goals, cause let’s be honest, when we get a proper striker, they should be taking and scoring them)

Let’s stop trying to shoehorn people in due to sentiment.

He shouldn’t be given the option of ‘sticking around’. That makes it sound like he’s doing us a favour! He should be punted out the door ASAP
He has a contract unfortunately but should be told there is no fixture except the bench if he wants to stay ,he has been a great servant over the years but it's time.

lol, aye cause they will struggle if they don’t move to Saudi, lot a pish his heads been turned fs.
They won’t be on the bread line mate but it’s a massive step up in lifestyle. I for one think Saudi is a downgrade on living here but for sure a move over there is like a lottery win to all of us. Pity he’s going to play in a football hell hole. I want tav to stay but only if he does.

We cannot go into next season with him as an ever-present yet again. It is beyond a joke this guy plays practically every minute for us season after season and is part of such disappointment.

Big changes are needed and Clement needs to gut this squad, starting with the supposed “leadership group” (Tavernier, Goldson, Lundstram).

Another thread calling for the clearout everyone else has already highlighted.

I doubt there are many players in Europe who have played more games than Tavernier over the past five years. It is bad he has not had proper back up quality in front of him.

It is also bad we still rely on him for the number of goals and assists.

The outrageous neglect by beale in addressing the forward wide areas last summer is clear to all who can get past the blame tav mindset.

For me the midfield and forward areas are the more immediate priorities.

If clement has him in place next season then I will trust the manager.

We should cash in if there are any offers for Tav. If we can't sell him then he should become very much a backup squad player from next season. It's actually becoming painful to watch the rate at which he's regressing.

I think he'll stick around for his testimonial then he'll go
Does this guy need a testimonial. Surely it’s not money, he has made enough out of us.
As for achievements, as captain of our glorious club his success is limited, thanks Tav time to move on to pastures new.
Yes, he has scored many goals , thanks, but his defending has been deplorable

Reactions: SCG
He does never hide and he will go down as a rangers legend. He has produced unbelievable goals and assist throughout his time here and led us to a European final whilst finishing top Europa League scorer.

But he is gone physically and has probably been deteriorating since the start of last season. It is to be expected with the miles on the clock, having never really missed a game so it’s not Tav bashing, or anything like that. It’s simply just the truth, and if he starts at right back next season we are resigned to 2nd place. We have criticised the club in recent years for not cutting ties earlier with certain players and letting players run contracts down. This for me should be staring them in the face, it needs to be done this summer.
A Rangers legend? Dear dear.

So you honestly believe if it was another right back instead of tav we would have won more games and trophies?
The RB comment was more a compliment to his numbers, and neither is it a dig at his ability as a player. The point I was trying to make, is he is not captain material for me

Reactions: SCG

I doubt there are many players in Europe who have played more games than Tavernier over the past five years. It is bad he has not had proper back up quality in front of him.

The outrageous neglect by beale in addressing the forward wide areas last summer is clear to all who can get past the blame tav mindset.

How many goals have we lost from crosses from tavaniers position while he gently trots back

Further forward argument in non Celtic games is void. Most of his play comes from deep. He’s done, let’s just accept it.

He has easily been at fault for more goals than what he has contributed (non penalty goals, cause let’s be honest, when we get a proper striker, they should be taking and scoring them)

Let’s stop trying to shoehorn people in due to sentiment.
We'll see if Mr Clement agrees with you.

It may be posted earlier in the thread, I haven’t read it all, but Tav’s played an average of 52.6 games a season for the last five seasons counting this upcoming game.

How many goals have we lost from crosses from tavaniers position while he gently trots back

If we had competent right sided midfielders or forwards he wouldn't need to be up there.

Something criminally neglected by beale in the summer.

If we had decent defensive midfielders they could cover when Tavernier does go forward. Something the almost permanently injured Ryan jack and Glen kamara were very effective at.

Many on here saw this as early as pre season but were shot down.

He has 2 years left on his contract, you can't just move players on. I read that all the time on here. I've said before I think him and Goldson will be starters next season. It's a grim situation.
Yes you can. You have robust conversations with the players to explain they won’t be utilised and that it is best for them if they look for other clubs. It takes skill and unfortunately money but it will do far more harm than good if we start another campaign with Goldson and Tav

Yes you can. You have robust conversations with the players to explain they won’t be utilised and that it is best for them if they look for other clubs. It takes skill and unfortunately money but it will do far more harm than good if we start another campaign with Goldson and Tav
Transfer windows would make two years left on contract a good indicator for a must move-on given Clement saying there will be no player allowed to enter the last year of their contract.

Transfer windows would make two years left on contract a good indicator for a must move-on given Clement saying there will be no player allowed to enter the last year of their contract.
People need to get away from the idea that being on a contract means the player is here unless a “too good to turn down” offer comes in. That approach by the club is WHY the squad is choc-full of dross. We need to bite the bullet and help players move on. There’s no point in keeping them sweet if the manager knows they are dugmeat

Tav has always been defensively suspect. He's not a fullback. He's an attacking wingback or wide midfielder who should play as part of a back 5 instead of a back 4. Unfortunately that formation isn't overly popular in football right now and we've struggled to put a wide man ahead of him who'll give him a bit of defensive protection. It's been obvious for a few years that teams target him. Lots of goals in big games come from an attack down our right hand side.

Should Rangers keep him? I'd like to see us move to a back 3 and play with attacking wingbacks. We don't really have effective wide attackers. That might be a way to get the best from Tav's offensive attributes whilst limiting the exposure of his defensive weakness. But that's a big change to accommodate a player who is going to start offering diminishing returns in the next season or two as age catches up with him. Take away his pace and his driving runs at opponents and he's a diminished asset.

He's on too much money to be a squad player. So either he's the first choice right wingback next season or he has to be moved on. If there's any truth in the Gerard rumour that he's looking at both Tav and Goldson then the club should be listening to offers.

Has again been overplayed and it’s showing, when he’s not scoring it’s highlighting his poor defending.

he is done - that is clear - every team is targeting him more and more.

Look at the Hearts 2nd goal yesterday - switch of play out to the left winger who takes the ball a few yards in from the sideline - but Tav just stands off him - lets him drive into the penalty box, to create the goal - we have seen it Tim and time again and all because he just stands off and doesn’t engage the attacker.

I am fed up with him - we need to go back to a solid back 4 - thats where all successful Rangers team have been built from.

He aint getting any younger either, an injury and he will be finished.

2 years of Goldson and Tav is frightening , we cannot go on as a club with this way of working.

Its like stepping back 40 years when Wallace was there for a second spell, we won the league cup for fun but that was it.

The difference was we only had 11 prods on the park which had caught up with us due to the available talent and Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and the tims were strong.

Whats the excuse nowadays , imo its the running of the club from the board down.

Goldson I’m less worried about, the CH’s will be rotated a bit more and Goldson will benefit from that.

he is done - that is clear - every team is targeting him more and more.

Look at the Hearts 2nd goal yesterday - switch of play out to the left winger who takes the ball a few yards in from the sideline - but Tav just stands off him - lets him drive into the penalty box, to create the goal - we have seen it Tim and time again and all because he just stands off and doesn’t engage the attacker.

I am fed up with him - we need to go back to a solid back 4 - thats where all successful Rangers team have been built from.

We are absolutely being targeted down our right side

He looks knackered. Isn’t a surprise given how he’s ageing and he’s played 261 games in the last 5 years.

24 goals, 12 assists and shortlisted for POTY. Hes worth keeping, but needs managed now.
Absolutely bang on, we can’t sell everyone so to me Tav low on the list of guys to sell.

Tavernier has been fundamental in our recovery. I just hope we can reach an amicable agreement to ending his career with us. It is now obvious that we can’t go into next season with him in the squad.

I have been a massive Tav fan and defended him for a long time and felt a lot of fans just treated him as their go to fall guy no matter what he done. However, even I can see that father time appears to have caught with him physically. He doesn't appear to have the legs to do the job he was once so good at. His numbers this season are still outstanding, but they've dried up in recent weeks/months. Time for a fresh start.

That said, the lack of respect shown to Tav by a section of our support for years has been a fucking embarrassment at times.

Love Tav and have fought his corner since day one. The good always outweighed the bad and there was a period where his defending was largely decent.

His legs looked like they were going towards the end of last season and it’s looked the same much of this season. The last few months has seen his defensive side regress to almost as bad as the Warburton days.

He’s given absolutely everything and dug us out of a hole so many times, but I think it’s time up and it’s not unsurprising given the amount of games he’s played over the years — that athleticism wasn’t going to last forever.

Love Tav and have fought his corner since day one. The good always outweighed the bad and there was a period where his defending was largely decent.

His legs looked like they were going towards the end of last season and it’s looked the same much of this season. The last few months has seen his defensive side regress to almost as bad as the Warburton days.

He’s given absolutely everything and dug us out of a hole so many times, but I think it’s time up and it’s not unsurprising given the amount of games he’s played over the years — that athleticism wasn’t going to last forever.
I am very much in this camp.the amount of games he has played was going to catch up with him eventually and he’s at the stage of his career where he’s not going to get that athleticism back.

I have been a massive Tav fan and defended him for a long time and felt a lot of fans just treated him as their go to fall guy no matter what he done. However, even I can see that father time appears to have caught with him physically. He doesn't appear to have the legs to do the job he was once so good at. His numbers this season are still outstanding, but they've dried up in recent weeks/months. Time for a fresh start.

That said, the lack of respect shown to Tav by a section of our support for years has been a fucking embarrassment at times.
The lack of respect is disgusting towards tav to be honest.we certainly wouldn’t have got to Seville without him and he will be in that very small band of rangers captains who lead the team out in a European final.

If Clement has him in place next season - that being Tav playing right back for every minute of the season - then he’ll be lucky to make it past Halloween, and we’ll know he wasn’t that serious about the rebuild comments this week.

Back