Tavernier testimonial

CapitalBear1973

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.

1) a testimonial is a recognition of a players length of service to a club, not your perception of his ability.

2) most players who have a testimonial in the modern era give the earnings, or a large proportion of them, to charity

So yes you could be the only one.

I think that there is a place for a testimonial as we should be allowed to thank Tav for his service. However, if the money raised was to be given to a charity(ies) of his choice then it would be a very worthwhile venture.

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.
Take a break man.

Must be torture living your life constantly looking to be triggered by things like this.

He's putting to bed the Saudi chat.
As for the testimonial, how many other players make it a decade at a club these days? If you look at it you'll actually see any that have taken place in recent years the money goes to charity. I guess you'll take issue with the charity chosen as well though.

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
That didn’t take long.

If we somehow managed to win the treble he would be wise to leave on a high

Seems on here some genuinely love Tav more than they do rangers and have blinkers when it comes to certain stuff, need to look at the bigger picture and hopefully try rebuild this summer

Last edited:
"Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself"

Here's hoping you are the only one. He's been asked about his future and he's replied that he'd like to stay. Why is that breathtaking to you? FF sometimes, honestly.

I love this place sometimes. Guy answers questions about his future by saying he and his family love it where he is and he wants to make it to 10 years at the club...yet people here still want to batter him and pick out all the negatives from what he said.

I'd love someone to ask Tav how he reflects on his own relationship with the fanbase over his time here. I know he's loved by many and rightly so but equally the stick he's had to put up with at times has been beyond ludicrous.

I love this place sometimes. Guy answers questions about his future by saying he and his family love it where he is and he wants to make it to 10 years at the club...yet people here still want to batter him and pick out all the negatives from what he said.

I'd love someone to ask Tav how he reflects on his own relationship with the fanbase over his time here. I know he's loved by many and rightly so but equally the stick he's had to put up with at times has been beyond ludicrous.

He didn't have to put up with it though. He could have phucked off long before now and that imo is the measure of the man.

He's also joined our club when it was in the second tier in Scotland, led us to a league title and a European Final where he was the competitions top scorer. He's one of the most prolific defenders to have ever play the game but aye, managers.
One of the most prolific DEFENDERS to ever play the game
He plays in Scotland takes all our penalty
Whys no club came In with a offer for him then

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
He almost cost us a goal on Sunday in the opening seconds as well. Just like EVERY early kick off we have he likes his teammates to just ease themselves into the game.
Sick of it and scunnered that no one ever questions the manager or previous managers on the passive attitude we take going into the games.

Has there ever been a player in our history who has been with us as long yet achieved so little?
See it's funny, because you'll be one of the ones who was doing the same thing pre 55 and then fawning over him like a schoolgirl with a picture of One Direction.
And if we were to win the league this season you'd be doing the exact same thing.
More faces than Big Ben

Has there ever been a player in our history who has been with us as long yet achieved so little?
Achieved so little!!!.the highest goal scoring defender in our clubs history
and in british football.captained a Rangers team in an european final. only four men have captained Rangers in an european final and tav is one of them.on that run to
seville joint top scorer in the competition.captained a rangers team who won a title without losing a game.scored some of the best goals i have ever seen from a rangers player.
so your right he hasn't achieved much:rolleyes:

Back