Tavernier testimonial

He is entitled to a testimonial but i think his heads been turned with it all.
He has made mistakes in every match for the past few weeks.

I imagine if every single one of John Greigs games were televised like all of Tavs 450+ games have been, with multiple replays of every single goal lost and misplaced pass, we would be able to pick out a litany of errors he made that "cost" us games and trophies.

The abuse Tav gets it's mind numbing.
It is incredible. I refuse to believe many of the detractors actually support our club.
The guy is a legend.

If he’s here for 10 years of course he deserves a testimonial. Hall of fame the dury is still out for me. I don’t think he should be in it. Yes he’s scored some amount of goals etc but imo he’s not legend status

Really disappointed Davis never got a send off like mcgregor got

IMO Tav as everyone knows has had some outstanding numbers, but if truth be told his strength is not in defending
He would have been much better being moved into a wide midfielder.
He has been a good servant, but sometimes it is time for a change
If he goes with SG and all the money then he will go with my best wishes

One of the most prolific DEFENDERS to ever play the game
He plays in Scotland takes all our penalty
Whys no club came In with a offer for him then
It's a take I suppose. A take that would come of out someone wearing the green and grey more often than not. Do you call him 'Tavpen' as well?

His service of being through more manager's in his time then any other player in out history

Rewarding failure has to stop
Context is important. He and Lee Wallace captained the side in the aftermath of arguably the clubs most difficult period. Six guys turned up to training and we’ve had to rebuild from that with blow after blow coming our way. Then once Dave King and the three bears finally stopped the rot in 2015 an actual recovery period could begin to take place (and of course that recovery was about far more than just the footballing side itself - we had been ravaged.) In a relatively short time we’ve won a title and are in a race this year. We’ve also done well in Europe and even been to a final. People are too quick to dismiss all this and be ultra critical/pessimistic. Tav has operated as captain with the main opposition pretty much always being at an advantage - that being that they were never torn to shreds and gained from their main rivals being so.
James Tavernier is a Rangers captain to be fully proud of.

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.

John Greig had won 1 league in 12 years, prior to his testimonial season and was consistently 2nd best to celtic, for the majority of that period.
Are you saying that our Greatest Ever Ranger didn't deserve his testimonial?

James Tavernier has led our side to a European final in a period when achieving European success has never been more weighted against Scottish sides.
He also became the first ever full back to finish top scorer in a European tournament and the first ever Ramgers player to be voted "Player of the Tournament" in a European tournament.

We're in the final of the Scottish Cup, still in with a good chance of winning the league and he also scored our winning goal in this year's League Cup Final.

Only a clueless Rangers supporters or a closet celtic supporter would be against Tavernier being granted a testimonial.
Ten years service at one football club is almost unheard of these days.

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.
Hopefully you are. He is demonstrating his commitment to the Club by highlighting that he has been here for 9 years and wants to stay longer.

Of course, you could find a negative spin to that, if you tried to.

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
Always one on FF

He has reached the top six goalscoring defenders of all time scoring the majority of goals with us. Has captained the side to a European final, won a league title breaking defensive records and went undefeated in the league.

When you look at the Rangers side that he joined who had just failed to get out of the Championship and been absolutely pumped by Motherwell in the play offs to join us and do that is pretty remarkable imho.
A significant chunk of that number have been penalties. Imagine what Alfie's numbers would have if we he was the desiganted penalty taker.

How would he be our most successful ever captain given Greig also captained a European trophy winning side?
Reckon a Europa League win is bigger than ECWC win. Particularly if you’re top scorer in said tournament. I reckon Rangers were much longer odds to win the Europa too when the competition started. Has also been on a much longer journey - starting in the second tier to a Euro Final. Some achievement.

John Greig would be classed as an under achiever by some on here.when we went four years without winning a trophy during the yahoos nine in a row.

Captained the side to 3 defeats against them in a month, all at Ibrox too.

Sold the jerseys for 2 of the goals in the humiliating 4-0 1969 Scottish Cup Final too.

Even Rangers greats had their terrible times at our club.

Stop digging, JG won ECWC, three trebles, another two SC, and another League off the top of my head
To compare Tav with JG is bordering on insanity
about 70% of our support weren’t even born when Greig has playing. It isn’t insane to compare them, it’s impossible if you weren’t alive. Conversely, if it’s simply based on stat comparisons; then let’s see how Tav compares in 50 years.

about 70% of our support weren’t even born when Greig has playing. It isn’t insane to compare them, it’s impossible if you weren’t alive. Conversely, if it’s simply based on stat comparisons; then let’s see how Tav compares in 50 years.

Can safely say we won't be here to find out, mate!

Stop digging, JG won ECWC, three trebles, another two SC, and another League off the top of my head
To compare Tav with JG is bordering on insanity
Digging what? I didn’t compare their trophies, in fact I didn’t even compare them. I clarified what I thought another poster meant when he said winning the EL would be the best achievement of any Rangers captain. Might be worth looking back over comments before jumping in two footed. Red card.

Watching a compilation of Tav's goals is watching us climb from the Scottish Championship all the way to a European final.

He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered when he goes.

Reckon a Europa League win is bigger than ECWC win. Particularly if you’re top scorer in said tournament. I reckon Rangers were much longer odds to win the Europa too when the competition started. Has also been on a much longer journey - starting in the second tier to a Euro Final. Some achievement.
There is no argument, we never won it

Thought Allan McGregor had played under 8 managers?
McGregor won 4 league titles, 4 Scottish Cups and 5 League Cups along the way though.

10yrs is 10yrs though and it has seen Rangers from the Championship to the Europa League Final, with Tavernier being a model of decorum and a lot of what many of us want a Rangers player to be.

If he gets a testimonial then it is well deserved IMO.

Not for me, unless 99% goes to charity, millionaire footballers on a lavish lifestyle shouldn't have their pensions topped up by fans who already fork out fortunes.
Not sure what McGregor done with his but for me charity games are for charity, testimonials are for testimonials. You don't have to buy a ticket either way

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
Absolute fucking horseshit

I'm sorry, but that is miles off.

captained us to arguably our biggest ever league title

was a penalty away from captaining us to our greatest ever achievement. Much bigger achievement than 1972 if it had been won

Top goalscorer in the europa league from right back.

scored around 140 goals from right back

Barely missed a game in 9 years averaging nearly 50 games a season. I honestly can't think of many players who have contributed more to our club, particularly in the modern era

It's impossible to turnover the ENTIRE squad as much as we might like to.

Pushing the starting 11 we need:

1/2 CBs
2 CMs
2 AM
2WF
2CF

This is after all OOC players are released.

Anyone departing after that then needs replaced by better;

Dowell
Wright
Lawrence

For starters.

Tavernier's place is safe in our team next season imo. We just have too many other priorities across the pitch and cannot do it all at once.

He has 24 goals and 10 assists this season. He won us the league cup final and 2 goals in the semi. Assist for the winner on Sunday. Made the opening goal and stopped a clear goal against Hearts at Hampden last week. Got us back into the game against Celtic (all be it after a horrendous first half). Free kick equlaiser away to Killie. 2 goals in a 3-0 away win at St J. 3 assists in a 3-1 in vs RC. Goal and an assist in a 2-0 win vs St J. A goal and an assist in a 3-1 win vs Dundee. An assist in a 1-0 win away to Hearts. Last min equalsier away to Aberdeen. A goal and a last minute assist at Home to Hearts. 2 goals in a 3-0 away win at St Mirren. 2 goals over the 2 legs against Servette.

I make that 16 games where has directly won the game us or got us a draw, through goals and assists this season. As well us winning us the League Cup and getting us to a Scottish Cup Final and dragging us back into a title race.

But of course it is single handedly HIS fault we dropped points to Motherwell, Dundee and Ross County. Not his dedensive team mates who made errors, or our midfield for being wide open, or our strikers for missing sitters, or our constant injured players, or the manager. It's all Tav's fault because he wears a piece of material with "Captain" written on it.

He is not perfect, far from it, but if he didn't make mistakes or was as good defensively as he is going forward, then we would have sold him for millions years ago. Question his mentality all you want but I have provided occasions time and time again where he has stepped up and got us out the shit.

He is in team of the year, voted by his fellow pro's, near enough every season. He is our top scored near enough every season and has dragged us to a Europa League Final and 55 whilst scoring 16 goals and 19 assists, as well as being part of a a record breaking defence.

Perhaps if his team mates shared the burden or stepped up as often, we would have seen a bit more success over the years?

I am at the stage now where I hope he goes, so that his detractors in our support see exactly what we are missing.

Last edited:
He has 24 goals and 10 assists this season. He won us the league cup final and 2 goals in the semi. Assist for the winner on Sunday. Made the opening goal and stopped a clear goal against Hearts at Hampden last week. Got us back into the game against Celtic (all be it after a horrendous first half). Free kick equlaiser away to Killie. 2 goals in a 3-0 away win at St J. 3 assists in a 3-1 in vs RC. Goal and an assist in a 2-0 win vs St J. A goal and an assist in a 3-1 win vs Dundee. An assist in a 1-0 win away to Hearts. Last min equalsier away to Aberdeen. A goal and a last minute assist at Home to Hearts. 2 goals in a 3-0 away win at St Mirren. 2 goals over the 2 legs against Servette.

I make that 16 games where has directly won us or got us a point, through goals and assists this season. As well us winning us the League Cup and getting us to a Scottish Cup Final and dragging us back into a title race.

But of course it is single handedly HIS fault we dropped points to Motherwell, Dundee and Ross County. Not his dedensive team mates who made errors, or our midfield for being wide open, or our strikers for missing sitters, or our constant injured players, or the manager. It's all Tav's fault because he wears a piece of material with "Captain" written on it.

He is not perfect, far from it, but if he didn't make mistakes or was as good defensively as he is going forward, then we would have sold him for millions years ago. Question his mentality all you want but I have provided occasions time and time again where he has stepped up and got us out the shit.

He is in team of the year, voted by his fellow pro's, near enough every season. He is our top scored near enough every season and has dragged us to a Europa League Final and 55 whilst scoring 16 goals and 19 assists, as well as being part of a a record breaking defence.

Perhaps if his team mates shared the burden or stepped up as often, we would have seen a bit more success over the years?

I am at the stage now where I hope he goes, so that his detractors in our support see exactly what we are missing.
This, this, this, this and THIS.

Bang on mate and you’ve put that into words perfectly.

If the custom & practice has been 10 years service equals a testimonial,then he has worked for it and deserves it ,no matter his current or previous form.

As for gerrard and potential saudi offers for tav & goldson ,fair do's ,that's the life (short) of a footballer to maximise earnings and seccure their families futures . If they want to walk,then let them ,they've done their bit and are now showing a lesser level and we need to freshen up the team now.

His service of being through more manager's in his time then any other player in out history

Rewarding failure has to stop
But he's not a failure is he. He led the club back to the Premier League, captained us to a Europa League Final, the Scottish Cup, the League Cup and also the all important 55 title.

That's not a failure, the club as a whole has struggled to compete with the east end hovel dwellers because of a lack of finance, hardly Taverniers fault in that regard, certainly he's suspect defensively but how many times has his goals got the team results

One thing I can’t get my head around. Morelos let us down numerous times and chucked it in his final season yet is held is higher regard than others.
Because he's a bit mental and stuck an elbow on Scott Brown once so he's probably held in higher esteem in terms of cult status than Tav, even though Tav has been an absolute model of professionalism throughout his time at Ibrox.

In years to come Tav will become a Rangers legend. Not appreciated in his time, but his contribution cannot be denied. If he performs at the same level for the next two years then he'll deserve his testimonial.

That being said, if SG wants to give us a couple million for him in the summer I'd happily take it!

Has there ever been a player in our history who has been with us as long yet achieved so little?
Dave Smith is a Rangers legend. Dave Smith was at the club for 8 years, almost as long as Tav. Dave Smith only won 2 trophies with us the ECWC and the Scottish Cup. Dave only played in the ECWC Final, was an unused sub in the 1973 Scottish Cup Final, does that make Dave an underachiever as well
Sorry to say but you really haven't got a clue

See it's funny, because you'll be one of the ones who was doing the same thing pre 55 and then fawning over him like a schoolgirl with a picture of One Direction.
And if we were to win the league this season you'd be doing the exact same thing.
More faces than Big Ben
BANG ON

Says a lot about our support that Morelos is still idolised despite being an absolute disgrace at times and Tav gets the shite he does.
It says nothing about our support. Morelos gets absolute pelters even though he's been gone for ages. Still gets referred to as a disgrace, downed tools etc.
There are certainly a few mentalists who would still have him back (if we can get him fit) but in no way are they representative of our support.
Idolised my arse

Back