Tavernier testimonial

Loyal servant is subjective tbh, I don't know of any club being in for him, certainly nothing in the media until now unless I've missed something

Yes. You've missed the fact that you're not the Rangers manager so why would you know these things.

I think the concept of testimonials is long outdated and that is regardless of time served or achievements during that.

That’s not to say it could be rebranded and something done along similar lines but it does need updating, especially the name itself.

Money raised should be for the Club, probably the Rnagers charity, since ultimately it plucked Tav from obscurity and gave him the platform and opportunity to become an elite Footballer and record breaker.

Without Rnagers, Tav would likely be playing in League One and causing mild curiosities.

Who deserves the ‘testimonial’ really?

What a bitter sad outlook.

It is possible to say that Tav has been a wonderful servant to us, and to point out we can’t structure the team around his testimonial plans for the next 2 seasons. We need to start doing what’s best for Rangers FC, not James Tavernier.

The debate around Tav is beyond tedious.

Some people will point to his lack of trophies and defensive frailties, others will point out the modest fee we picked him up for and the huge return in goals and assists it’s resulted in.

Both are valid but it’s the extreme, raging, angry posts that add nothing. People quoting things like “only scores penalties”, “can’t play under pressure”, “never a captain”, “hides after a defeat”.

All I’ve read over the last few years is how Patterson, Devine and now Sterling should be playing ahead of him. Every one would have been be a downgrade and would’ve been slated on here by the same posters after a few games
I remember posters on here demanding, not wanting, Hodson to be playing ahead of him, then Flanagan.

Both of whom are and we're more suited to being smeared on door handles than playing for Rangers.

I'm realising now, after nearly 20 years on FF, that the forum is increasingly filled with snidey dicks who throw more hatred at our club, players, board, and managers than Kerrydale Street do. Just angry wee guys who are permanently raging regardless of results. Remember 'we deserve better'? That was when we were winning trophies, but this forum was fully behind it, wanting Walter chased because McCulloch played and we ground out results.

It is possible to say that Tav has been a wonderful servant to us, and to point out we can’t structure the team around his testimonial plans for the next 2 seasons. We need to start doing what’s best for Rangers FC, not James Tavernier.

It's only possible to say that if you're a bit mental.

Who the hell actually believes the club do what's best for Tav and not for Rangers?

Some people!

I think the concept of testimonials is long outdated and that is regardless of time served or achievements during that.

That’s not to say it could be rebranded and something done along similar lines but it does need updating, especially the name itself.

Money raised should be for the Club, probably the Rangers charity, since ultimately it plucked Tav from obscurity and gave him the platform and opportunity to become an elite Footballer and record breaker.

Without Rangers, Tav would likely be playing in League One and causing mild curiosities.

Fking hell mate lol maybe you deserve it for having to watch Tav this past 9 years!

I remember posters on here demanding, not wanting, Hodson to be playing ahead of him, then Flanagan.

Both of whom are and we're more suited to being smeared on door handles than playing for Rangers.

I'm realising now, after nearly 20 years on FF, that the forum is increasingly filled with snidey dicks who throw more hatred at our club, players, board, and managers than Kerrydale Street do. Just angry wee guys who are permanently raging regardless of results. Remember 'we deserve better'? That was when we were winning trophies, but this forum was fully behind it, wanting Walter chased because McCulloch played and we ground out results.

Wasn't it mainly David Edgar and the RST behind the "We Deserve Better" campaign? And wasn't it mostly directed at how David Murray was running the club at the time?

Also, not having a go, but if the forum genuinely riles you as much as this post suggests, why did you sign up to it again only a few months ago?!

There is a lot of nonsense to sift through on here, but try and not take it so seriously!

If you don't think he deserves a testimonial, simply do not buy a ticket.

I wouldn't imagine the club will issue staunch MyGers points for attendance.

EDIT: I predict that it would be a sell-out though

Achieved so little!!!.the highest goal scoring defender in our clubs history
and in british football.captained a Rangers team in an european final. only four men have captained Rangers in an european final and tav is one of them.on that run to
seville joint top scorer in the competition.captained a rangers team who won a title without losing a game.scored some of the best goals i have ever seen from a rangers player.
so your right he hasn't achieved much:rolleyes:

Trophies are what matter at our club.

Money raised should be for the Club, probably the Rangers charity, since ultimately it plucked Tav from obscurity and gave him the platform and opportunity to become an elite Footballer and record breaker.

Without Rangers, Tav would likely be playing in League One and causing mild curiosities.

You are not talking about Kyle Walkers wages here.
It should all go to Tav.
If he chooses to help others good for him.
I wouldn’t begrudge a penny and I’d be there

All those suggesting that this thread is about whether Tavernier deserves a testimonial should have another read of my OP.

My point is that when it looks like we've fucked the league again (for which he is far from blameless), it's a sad reflection of our leader's mentality that he wants to talk about his expectations for a testimonial next season.

His sole focus should be on how he and his team are going to try to salvage the league campaign, not how the club and the fans are going to show their gratitude for what a great servant he's been - how we should celebrate a leader who's so far lifted three trophies in 9 seasons of a two horse race.

(Don't forget that Warburton plucked him out of obscurity - undoubtedly a talent but one who had spent the previous seasons punted around the lower leagues on short term loan after short term loan - (mentality ? lack of self-drive ?)).

He is a talented footballer and has scored some important goals for us. He's a poor defender.

A captain and leader ? Never in a million years.

All those suggesting that this thread is about whether Tavernier deserves a testimonial should have another read of my OP.

My point is that when it looks like we've fucked the league again (for which he is far from blameless), it's a sad reflection of our leader's mentality that he wants to talk about his expectations for a testimonial next season.

His sole focus should be on how he and his team are going to try to salvage the league campaign, not how the club and the fans are going to show their gratitude for what a great servant he's been - how we should celebrate a leader who's so far lifted three trophies in 9 seasons of a two horse race.

(Don't forget that Warburton plucked him out of obscurity - undoubtedly a talent but one who had spent the previous seasons punted around the lower leagues on short term loan after short term loan - (mentality ? lack of self-drive ?)).

He is a talented footballer and has scored some important goals for us. He's a poor defender.

Yip. People know what your point was and, because the vast majority don't agree with it (and agree that a testimonial would be deserved), it doesn't mean that they need to go back and revisit your point.

You are also aware that he didn't "choose" to speak about this. He was asked about it amid speculation of a move and he has shut that down for now to avoid outside noise and provide stability.

But then that's what these people who have a go at Tav for everything do. They find things to moan about without facts.

Do you know how interviews work?

Someone asks a question and the player answers it. Mad concept.

Are our players not able to deflect a question?

He no comments or side steps the question and the same mentalists would be accusing him of destabilising the title push by creating uncertainty.

He has shut down the speculation, whether it's true or not, by committing to the club. It's a totally inoffensive answer and it's only a problem to the Tav crybabies because they find fault in all he does.

I mean imagine a clubs supporters finding fault in a guy saying he might be here long enough for a testimonial which will likely benefit a charity as most modern ones do.

You are not talking about Kyle Walkers wages here.
It should all go to Tav.
If he chooses to help others good for him.
I wouldn’t begrudge a penny and I’d be there
Are you serious?
20 or 30 odd grand a week?
At a time of financial hardship for large sections of the community, where people can't heat their homes or feed their kids, you're comfortable with a millionaire being handed another million (or whatever) tax free?
Before he fks off to the middle east or wherever?
If he says he's giving the money away, fair enough, give him a big send off.
If not, his principles are about the same as yours obviously are.

Achieved so little!!!.the highest goal scoring defender in our clubs history
and in british football.captained a Rangers team in an european final. only four men have captained Rangers in an european final and tav is one of them.on that run to
seville joint top scorer in the competition.captained a rangers team who won a title without losing a game.scored some of the best goals i have ever seen from a rangers player.
so your right he hasn't achieved much:rolleyes:
Trust you to ruin the thread by giving excellent examples of Tavs under achievments. ;)
We haven't won as many trophies as we should have but without his goals it would have been worse.

How many times do you and others need to be told. Testimonials are organised by a committee of supporters .
If you don’t like it don’t go to any of the events . Why can’t people just give it rest

How many times has a mistake cost us in cuo games or games against them. Last Sunday very nearly again

A helluva lot less is the answer.

Every defender in the world gives away multiple goals per season u know.

Anything Tav does good- ignore
Anytime we lose a goal that can be remotely traced back to Tav- Get him out!!

That's the way some people work. We even.had people last week claiming he was holding us back because he scores so often we rely on him haha.

Outstanding post.

I imagine if every single one of John Greigs games were televised like all of Tavs 450+ games have been, with multiple replays of every single goal lost and misplaced pass, we would be able to pick out a litany of errors he made that "cost" us games and trophies.

The abuse Tav gets it's mind numbing.
One of the most sensible things I’ve read on this forum in a long time.

It’s so true.

That's a separate argument entirely. We should have been trying to shift away from an over reliance on Tav for the past few seasons. It really isn't his fault, that we haven't done that. Your best players are your best players, and no amount of pretending they aren't changes that fact.

Our recruitment has been really poor at times and that's made it harder and harder for us to actually move away from that over reliance on Tav. Address the recruitment problems, and then we can start to have a discussion about if it's worth having Tav in the team or not. Because at the moment, his positives completely out weigh his negatives, but that will change in the future if we've got forwards and midfielders who actually consistently contribute.

For me, the discussion around Tav and Goldson is pretty much identical now and the root cause of it, is the fact we don't have the quality in the side to change it. That's what is causing frustration. We're overly reliant on two players, and none of the players we've signed since we won the title have come close to either, be that in terms of consistency or influence. We've had the ability to change and fix that, but we just haven't.

Despite my own personal opinions about Tav there is no question he deserves a testimonial if/when he stays next year. Quite an achievement in modern football to atay a regular first team player at the same club for 10+ years and it deserves to be recognised.

While I hope him and the other serial losers leave this post is a shambles. He was asked about his future and answered the question

Personally I can’t say I agree with a testimonial for any player of the modern era - they were designed as a thank you for loyal service to players who were not paid handsomely

Personally I can’t say I agree with a testimonial for any player of the modern era - they were designed as a thank you for loyal service to players who were not paid handsomely
But if (as is likely) Tav donates all or a proportion of the proceeds to his nominated charities then surely its win-win?

I think loyalty and length of service should be recognised. I don’t doubt there’s been interest/temptation to go back down south over the years. But he stayed as he wanted to win things here. Should he have won more in his time here so far? Undoubtedly. But those pointing the finger or huge proportions of the blame in Tav’s direction aren’t looking at the bigger picture. His outstanding was pretty much our biggest factor in reaching Seville, for example.

As for the quotes, its only natural that at this point in the season he’s going to shut-down any paper talk to focus on the remaining games ahead.

SofaScore, a stats based subscription app with half a million followers on Instagram has released its top 10 players for this season, excluding the big 5 leagues.

Tav is in second behind Joey Veerman, and one and two in front of Luuk de Jong and Viktor Gyokeres. O’Riley is 7th and Di Maria 8th.

It’s almost as if every season, everyone other than our own fans consistently big up Tav’s efforts :).

SofaScore, a stats based subscription app with half a million followers on Instagram has released its top 10 players for this season, excluding the big 5 leagues.

Tav is in second behind Joey Veerman, and one and two in front of Luuk de Jong and Viktor Gyokeres. O’Riley is 7th and Di Maria 8th.

It’s almost as if every season, everyone other than our own fans consistently big up Tav’s efforts :).
Mate, take your facts, your reason and your stats elsewhere. People on here with no background in football have decided he is done, is never a captain, cant defend, needs punted, is part of 'the problem', only scores pens etc etc.

Mentalists.

Back