Tavernier testimonial

Mate, take your facts, your reason and your stats elsewhere. People on here with no background in football have decided he is done, is never a captain, cant defend, needs punted, is part of 'the problem', only scores pens etc etc.

Mentalists.

He can’t defend, tbf. Put his scoring and assisting attributes aside. He is a woeful defender with the attention span of a goldfish.

This thread still rumbling on about how shite Tav is, eh.

Mad gaff this FF sometimes. Makes entertaining reading though!

Not a sane soul on here would argue that Tav doesn't have his faults as a footballer. Equally, the longevity of his service, the contribution in terms of the goals and assists (take away the pens and his numbers from rb would still be hugely impressive), the professionalism in the way he's looked after himself to be as physically fit for purpose as he possibly could be (I know that's his job, but many others in this squad have suffered injuries that Tav has always managed to avoid)...a few extra trophies would be nice of course. But it's mental to pin that on Tav when he joined the club during arguably the most turbulent period in the clubs history and at least does have a title to his name as well as the memory of a spectacular run to Seville.

Waffling a bit here but I just think in this era of Rangers he has been the most prominent, ever present figure we've had on the pitch and he 100% would deserve that send off. Baffles me how anyone could want to deny him that.

Imagine providing a length of service like that in your job then at the end all you get is to be told not to let the door hit your arse on the way out. You'd probably feel you deserve a bit better.

Tavernier has been an excellent servant, has made plenty of money but needs to be moved on - in hindsight that should have been after the Europa League final - it’s got nothing to do with what his positives or negatives are - but we need a younger, fitter team and we need to recycle him while there is value

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.
I wouldn’t buy a ticket for his testimonial tbh, I’m sure there would be many who’d feel the same way too, for the record I do t think his success record should have seen him entered into the hall of fame either, those of us who would love to see this Saudi move for Connor and James come to reality in June and see a real revolution in our squad this summer.

This thread still rumbling on about how shite Tav is, eh.

Mad gaff this FF sometimes. Makes entertaining reading though!

Not a sane soul on here would argue that Tav doesn't have his faults as a footballer. Equally, the longevity of his service, the contribution in terms of the goals and assists (take away the pens and his numbers from rb would still be hugely impressive), the professionalism in the way he's looked after himself to be as physically fit for purpose as he possibly could be (I know that's his job, but many others in this squad have suffered injuries that Tav has always managed to avoid)...a few extra trophies would be nice of course. But it's mental to pin that on Tav when he joined the club during arguably the most turbulent period in the clubs history and at least does have a title to his name as well as the memory of a spectacular run to Seville.

Waffling a bit here but I just think in this era of Rangers he has been the most prominent, ever present figure we've had on the pitch and he 100% would deserve that send off. Baffles me how anyone could want to deny him that.

Imagine providing a length of service like that in your job then at the end all you get is to be told not to let the door hit your arse on the way out. You'd probably feel you deserve a bit better.
Morelos was loved and revered by the same fans who trash Tavernier, despite the fact that he was quite frankly an unprofessional, unfit mess for about 1/3 of his Rangers career (I think I’m being kind there as well) who let us down time and again with sendings off, going awol and some pretty abject showings against Celtic.

I wouldn’t buy a ticket for his testimonial tbh, I’m sure there would be many who’d feel the same way too, for the record I do t think his success record should have seen him entered into the hall of fame either, those of us who would love to see this Saudi move for Connor and James come to reality in June and see a real revolution in our squad this summer.
State of this.

You’d very much be in the minority, thankfully.

State of this.

You’d very much be in the minority, thankfully.
State of you!!

With your he doesnae love Tav as much as we all do!!

lol. Btw read the threads after th last game vs them and then the Ross County and the Dundee games…..there’s plenty who don’t feel the affinity you do!!

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
I love seeing there's people out there that are as bitter as me :))

He can’t defend, tbf. Put his scoring and assisting attributes aside. He is a woeful defender with the attention span of a goldfish.

You can clearly see in that clip from the celtic game, how much the wind impacted that and created the situation. The path of the ball totally changes and the ball has near enough stopped by the time Tav reaches it.

Absolute freak of a goal.

The silver medal brigade are happy as long as the right back scores and assists.

I’d rather we were successful.
Well how about supplementing our highly productive, goal scoring and creative right back with 10 other blokes on the pitch who are competent enough to compete properly for gold instead of silver.

Just a thought.

State of you!!

lol. Btw read the threads after th last game vs them and then the Ross County and the Dundee games…..there’s plenty who don’t feel the affinity you do!!
Most of the comments in those threads were just toxic across the board. How about after the 2-1 Hearts game? Or the league Cup semi and the final? Or Hibs at home when he broke the UK defender scoring record?

Shockingly the affinity shown towards all the players not just tav was significantly less in the few games you pinpoint, than in all the other games that we've won handily this season.

Quick testimonial related question. Normally spoken about a match given to a player who spends 10 years at a club (to my understanding) but I remember attending Alan McLarens in the late 90s and from checking, he didn’t spend anywhere near that with us. Anybody able to answer why he got one? Just because his injury ended his career?

There are plenty of other defenders in the area that could have intervened but as usual its only one players fault.Its strange that any interventions tackles and clearances he makes,and there are many,are overlooked by his critics.
I dont think anyone is claiming he is our best ever right back but he is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

Quick testimonial related question. Normally spoken about a match given to a player who spends 10 years at a club (to my understanding) but I remember attending Alan McLarens in the late 90s and from checking, he didn’t spend anywhere near that with us. Anybody able to answer why he got one? Just because his injury ended his career?
Pretty much, yes. Same with Billy McKay if I remember correctly

State of you!!

In the heat of the moment yes.

Tav would get a huge crowd at Ibrox for a testimonial game.

Typical FF thread about Tav. Is it possible to have an opinion that is not polarising? Some of the stuff put forward attacking the guy is pathetic.

Same with Paul Lake at City I think. Injury cut his career short really young but he had a testimonial against Utd. I hope he did get to keep the money raised from it because so much career earnings he missed out on.

You sure?

Warburton, Pedro, Gerrard, Gio, Beale and Clement, so I make six. I'm not counting stand ins like Murty.

Greig played under four. Symon, White, Waddell and Wallace.

Wee bud would have played under five. Symon, White, Waddell, Wallace and Greig himself. As would Sandy Jardine. Again I'm not counting stand ins like Bobby Seith, possibly, and Willie Thornton.

Can't think of anyone else being able to top playing under six full time managers.

Warburton, Pedro, Gerrard, Gio, Beale and Clement, so I make six. I'm not counting stand ins like Murty.

Wee bud would have played under five. Symon, White, Waddell, Wallace and Greig himself. As would Sandy Jardine. Again I'm not counting stand ins like Bobby Seith, possibly, and Willie Thornton.

Can't think of anyone else being able to top playing under six full time managers.
But FF experts know best , Admin should delete this embarrassing nonsense

Allan McGregor apparently?

I'm sure I read a thread on here, that he was had been with the club over four decades. 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s.
Certainly was as he came through the youth system and and competitive wise it was under McLeish he been first involved been named on the bench at Forfar in the Scottish Cup and played the last 2 games that season in the League against Aberdeen and Dunfermline

If he had featured under Advocaat it have been a friendly

I've always said put in a right back like Sterling and push Tav up the right side and let him get into attack positions especially at the back post where he has scored a few goals

Regards Sterling, I disagree. We need his athleticism and drive in the middle of the park. For me, he's wasted at full back and as we saw last week, out wide.

Regards Sterling, I disagree. We need his athleticism and drive in the middle of the park. For me, he's wasted at full back and as we saw last week, out wide.
The problem is Sterling isn't getting a game in the middle and I think him and Tav could work well together. We will also concede less goals down that side

Certainly was as he came through the youth system and and competitive wise it was under McLeish he been first involved been named on the bench at Forfar in the Scottish Cup and played the last 2 games that season in the League against Aberdeen and Dunfermline

If he had featured under Advocaat it have been a friendly

Fair do's. But your last sentence makes it a grey area.

Surely, if he played even in a friendly between 1998/99 and Nove 2001, he's played in the Advocaat era?

But I get where you are coming from. There's a world of difference between a friendly and a full time match.

Well he did with Dowel and it has probably cost us the league. I don't think it's a drastic option considering most of our wide players are injured and Tav has played that position before in his career

Fair do's. But your last sentence makes it a grey area.

Surely, if he played even in a friendly between 1998/99 and Nove 2001, he's played in the Advocaat era?

But I get where you are coming from. There's a world of difference between a friendly and a full time match.
Yeah it what you define as the realistic answer

Like your post about Tav and how many managers he played under at his time here 6 full-time and 3 interim mangers

Back