Tavs penalty stats

I would bet we have a player just as good or better than Tav on pens in our current team. Same with corners they just don’t get the chance
You’d like to think these things are tried and tested in training.

Ultimately, these decisions come down to the manager and his coaching staff.

Our corners have certainly improved over the last couple of games and it’s good to see we’re trying different things.

Missed 4 in the league this season and the one in the cup game at Easter Road. To be fair though think today's was a really good save.
Good save but the goalkeeper was 1 meter behind his line the referee should have told him to get on his line. Should really have been a retake.
Butland was told to get on his line against Benfica.

If you're a right handed goalkeeper, there's nowhere you'd rather someone put a penalty than low and to your right, especially if the kicker is right footed and the ball flight is bending from the middle of the goals towards the post.
Unless it's 1 inch from the post (which it wasn't) imo it's the easiest place to save a penalty.
No idea why any right footed player would choose to hit it there.

From experience, because when you're lacking confidence, the easiest thing to do is to get the laces on it and reverse it across your body.

It takes more confidence to go high or down the middle or to open your foot up and go the other way.

I would bet we have a player just as good or better than Tav on pens in our current team. Same with corners they just don’t get the chance
Why would we not use a better player for both them?

Or the more realistic and simple answer is Tav is best at them and that is why every manger has chosen him to take them.

Honestly man, do folk think managers choose 2nd or 3rd best for a laugh. Their own job is on the line so pick the best.

From experience, because when you're lacking confidence, the easiest thing to do is to get the laces on it and reverse it across your body.

It takes more confidence to go high or down the middle or to open your foot up and go the other way.
Or maybe let someone with more confidence take it...

Why would we not use a better player for both them?

Or the more realistic and simple answer is Tav is best at them and that is why every manger has chosen him to take them.

Honestly man, do folk think managers choose 2nd or 3rd best for a laugh. Their own job is on the line so pick the best.

The poster obviously thinks Tav goes in and orders the manager about. It'd mind numbing.

Tavernier takes these things because he's the best we have at them ffs.

Imagine thinking a manager knows someone is better but just going "I better let Tav hit this!"

Ironically one of the captains now lauded on here as a great captain as a stick to beat Tav with, Barry Ferguson, was nicknamed "Barry Mabaw" at one point for taking everything.

The problem is that goalkeepers study penalty takers. They can watch all of Tavs’ penalties from all angles. They will know from his run up, where the ball is going. Just think back to the Hearts game v Celtic, when Hart was annoyed that Shankland wasn’t taking the penalty. He was prepared for a Shankland penalty. You need 2 or 3 penalty takers in a team. I’ve no doubt if we get a penalty again them, Hart will be well prepared for a Tav penalty.
Yes he missed this one so his next one will be blasted straight down the middle for maximum power .

I like my strikers to be taking penalties.

Helps avoid goal droughts and generally keeps their tally ticking over.

Also inflates their tally which surely also inflates their value. Imagine Dessers took penalties, he would be on 30+ for the season, would make it easier to try get our money back

I like my strikers to be taking penalties.

Helps avoid goal droughts and generally keeps their tally ticking over.

Also inflates their tally which surely also inflates their value. Imagine Dessers took penalties, he would be on 30+ for the season, would make it easier to try get our money back
Dessers would fall over on the run up.

Not sure how longer injury time makes a difference, surely injury time is time that play has not happened in normal time. It’s not actually extra playing time.
It's extra time in the matches in terms of the fact it wasn't played previously. It has definitely made a difference to the number of goals scored.

Good save but the goalkeeper was 1 meter behind his line the referee should have told him to get on his line. Should really have been a retake.
Butland was told to get on his line against Benfica.

Keepers are doing that now though given they have to have 1 foot on or behind the line for the save to count. He wasn't off his line and it's a really good save

The problem is that goalkeepers study penalty takers. They can watch all of Tavs’ penalties from all angles. They will know from his run up, where the ball is going. Just think back to the Hearts game v Celtic, when Hart was annoyed that Shankland wasn’t taking the penalty. He was prepared for a Shankland penalty. You need 2 or 3 penalty takers in a team. I’ve no doubt if we get a penalty again them, Hart will be well prepared for a Tav penalty.
He’s not that well prepared, because the two penalties that Tav has taken into him he’s nailed them into the top corner.

Not sure on the stats re missed pens, or even where you would find that info, but he has taken a total of 84 penalties and scored 67 of them missing 17. Success rate of 79.76%.

If you include penalty shoot outs its a total of 87 and 68/19.

I tend to agree with this with the fact every game is videod and analysis is such a big part of the game now.

However, there would be nothing stopping a gk studying all three or four penalty takers either. It'd just take them longer.
For a goalkeeper thinking on the spot though it would be a lot harder remembering 3 or 4 different players traits rather than 1

Back