Ten years ago today we played Brechin and The Rangers were safe.

mdingwall

Administrator
Ten years ago today we played Brechin and The Rangers were safe

I went up in a car with Brother Edgar, Earl of Leven and Robbie.

It was ecstatic - after months of torture at the hands of the enemies of football and fair play we had overcome them and Rangers stayed in business.

Brechin was a remarkable setting - the famous hedge, the large newish stand behind one goal, the quaint little stands along one side.

Before the game we chuckled at the local sponsors and names of players in the programme.

Battles to free the club of various flavours of Spivery we still to come - but we were playing football again and the first victory had been gained over the forces of darkness.

I got a ticket right before kick off (I'm sure the tickets were quite large).

Quite a memory - great to know Rangers were fielding a side after all the uncertainty but the realisation that the lower leagues wouldn't be a walkover soon hit home.

It was ecstatic - after months of torture at the hands of the enemies of football and fair play we had overcome them and Rangers stayed in business.

Brechin was a remarkable setting - the famous hedge, the large newish stand behind one goal, the quaint little stands along one side.

Before the game we chuckled at the local sponsors and names of players in the programme.

Battles to free the club of various flavours of Spivery we still to come - but we were playing football again and the first victory had been gained over the forces of darkness.

We should never forget where we where back then the fight that lay ahead but by god did we have some fun along the way And coming so close to that Europa cup win but the rangers are back so enjoy your season and bring on the Celtic

Can't believe that was ten years ago now, the pics popped up in my facebook memories today too, went up with my son on the Polmont bus that day.

Was in the boozer depressed as we were losing 2-1 with minutes left...and I thought better than nothing considering the obstacles that were thrust upon us.

Last edited:
Quite an astonishing journey, my son was just a baby back then and we had a family day out planned so I never even eat it on tv which is very unusual for me, spent the day at some nature park spamming the refresh button on my phone instead.

Couldn’t believe where we were but was ultimately happy just to have any team whatsoever after the absolute doing we were getting from everyone.

Cash only at ticket office day before. (Allan left that day for Besiktas or day before)

The boy climbing floodlight.

i’m based down in england but was studying in scotland around the time we got back where we belong in the premiership. had a boss who was there that day was great to talk to him about it and laugh about people calling us dead etc. when if anything, memories like day and the journey of it all, shows what a special club and fanbase we really are. and no amount of corporate mishandling could or would ever change that. wish i could talk to him now we’re truly back and making our mark both at home and in europe.

Dropped everything and drove 200 mile round trip to get tickets from the TO when they were announced. When I got there they only had juveniles left.

On the day every boozer in Brechin was rammed. Me and the old man got a pint in some Indian restaurant.

Surreal times.

Dropped everything and drove 200 mile round trip to get tickets from the TO when they were announced. When I got there they only had juveniles left.

On the day every boozer in Brechin was rammed. Me and the old man got a pint in some Indian restaurant.

Surreal times.
Aye I ended up in an Indian restaurant as well, bit of singing going on while a couple of locals tried to have a meal. Remember after the game being back in a boozer watching water polo from London 2012

Aye I ended up in an Indian restaurant as well, bit of singing going on while a couple of locals tried to have a meal. Remember after the game being back in a boozer watching water polo from London 2012

Probably the same place. The boy was trying to give me a pint of slops from the beer tray. Saw him try to give it to 3 or 4 boys before me too.

And 48 hours earlier, we never even had a licence to play fitba.
Watched it in a pub in Maybole, when I was up at my caravan at Kilkerran.
The relief that we still actually had a team was huge. Aye, division 4. aye Brechin, aye, a struggle for a point, but living and breathing. It was one of the most emotional games I've watched.
After all the worry since Feb 14th, and all the struggles to come (which thankfully we could not forsee), the game at Brechin started the fightback. The ten years seem like almost a lifetime, and I'ma supporter of 60+ years standing.
Brechin to Seville via 55. Even we couldnae have written that. That shows what Rangers are made of, and made for: winners, with the greatest support on the planet. It's my privilege to belong to the Rangers Family.

Was also there.

Seem to recall Kyle Hutton getting MOTM and a big rainbow on way back to bus.

I still think as a club wecwere in serious strife at that point. Spivs a plenty robbing us blind.

Genuinely depressing. Don’t think I’ve seen many replays of games back nor have I the desire to.

Even seeing the strips anything triggers it.

Was absolutely horrendous and that ‘journey’ was the pits 5 minutes after kick off

A shit time but there are some good memories from that time.

I genuinely think that our support was galvanised like never before.

The crowds we took to every ground was remarkable.

It was also great to hear so much swearing on the TV coverage.

In amongst the turmoil I had close grandparenting duties, it occupied a lot
of my time; could counter depression about our situation much of the time.... recall kids fav movie at the time which brings back this memory:

:)):eek::p

In a new setting for our RSC that day. Wondered how many would show because of that and all the goings on at the club.

It was heaving!! Bears were out, in, force. We sang like it too. Was a very emotional day.

Back