That first step into Ibrox

BucksBear

All the talk of stadium improvements and the love for the place just got me thinking about my first time stepping out of the concourse and into the stadium. I was relatively late going (15) as my father wasn't much a football fan. i had been to a few away games in the local area, but nothing was like that first sight of Ibrox on a summer night with the lights on and 40k people.

I have forgotten so many places i have been in my life but 30+ years later I have a crystal clear picture of that first step into the broomloan rear, the goosebumps and my breath been taken away.

I just love Rangers Football Club and the cathedral of Ibrox. it's in the blood

All the talk of stadium improvements and the love for the place just got me thinking about my first time stepping out of the concourse and into the stadium. I was relatively late going (15) as my father wasn't much a football fan. i had been to a few away games in the local area, but nothing was like that first sight of Ibrox on a summer night with the lights on and 40k people.

I have forgotten so many places i have been in my life but 30+ years later I have a crystal clear picture of that first step into the broomloan rear, the goosebumps and my breath been taken away.

Same here. My dad was Ill so only got to local games at Kilbowie and my uncle took me to Firhill as he was a thistle fan. Then another uncle took me to Rangers v Liverpool for the official opening of the completed stadium. Even almost 40 years on I will never forget my first sight of the pitch from the Copland rear.

Where i sit now (main stand) is where my old man took me to my first game (v Dundee Utd) August 1986. I can remember stepping up the stairs & seeing the pitch for the first time. One of those moments that i still remember vividly. Just felt right!

I can’t imagine what I am going to feel like the first time I get back in to Ibrox. I love that old lady and it’s been too long already. The slightest thing makes me greet these days. I’m worried that I will be greetin like a maiden aunt.

I will admit that after 2012 when I got a bit more emotional for a while, I started to take it for granted again. the old adage of you don't know what you've got til its gone springs to mind.
The first time is always special, but for me the first game under the floodlights at Ibrox in the CL was spine tingling. I can't wait to get back.

I really hope that when we do return that it signals a return to a proper noisy and genuinely supportive atmosphere.

We simply can't have a return to people sat in silence or moaning and just taking everything for granted.

An injection of constructive support would be most welcome and very much needed.

Inject our passion into Ibrox like never before.

Being honest, I cant remember much about my first time at Ibrox (1978) Do remember going into school the next day and telling everyone about it.
Not sure how I'll feel when we get back, so many memories coming back now just thinking about it

I was 9 in 1994. We still had the coloured seats. I sat on an orange one. The sight walking up those steps and out into the Broomloan will stay with me forever. It looked absolutely stunning and huge! Shat myself when we scored just how loud it was and it was just a run of the mill Premier league game. Love it!

I can still remember getting to the top of the steps and seeing inside the stadium for the first time.

Being amazed at how close the players felt (CF1, pre match warm up was going on in the corner) and seeing these guys like de Boer, Arvelazde, Ferguson up close.

Just seems to be a 30 second memory I never lose. Can’t wait to be back.

I've lived in the states for a few years now, I don't get back home too often, even when I do my time is usually taken up with business and family. I've also developed some serious health issues over the last 5 years.
I managed to get to the 5-0 game against Hearts at the beginning of December last year. It was the first time I'd been to Ibrox in about 5 years and the thought struck me that if luck is against me it may be my last visit. That thought and what the ground and this club means to me had the tears filling up my eyes!

As someone living overseas, who watches games online and goes to see my local team in Spain, I have to say that I do miss Ibrox. It's a unique experience and a top class venue for football. You just don't get that same experience in other grounds.

I spent many weekends of my childhood on Hinshelwood Drive, playing across from that famous Red Brick Facade.

A place I often talk about to my friends in Spain, often showing them pics of the stadium.

Remember walking up stairway 13 for the 1st time in 1968 as a 6yr old with 2 older boys from my street. Was an awesome sight to see the stadium in brilliant sunshine and hear The Derry in full voice. To cap it off we beat Morton 3-0 with a brace for big Bomber Jackson.

Think there will be some emotional people at that first game back in the Stadium.

In fact it will be impossible for anyone to get to their seats due to all the people stopping at the top of the stairs to take in the view.
Probably get the game cancelled due to flooding in the stands.

Had the pleasure of taking my dad (first game since the disaster) and my daughter (3 years old first game) to the Marsielle game last pre season.

Seeing him enjoy the atmosphere and her face when we first walked up the stairs and seen the pitch was special, the sort of thing you don't forget.

November 1974, I remember racing up the stairway and just staring in wonder at the bowl that was Ibrox Park.
I can still see that fantastic vision clearly now and feel the emotion i felt that day as a young boy.

Walking up all the stairs at the old stadium and when you got to the top looking around at this huge arena below me.
Early 60s Loyal.
A sight i still remember to this day.

Now just a few steps up the Govan front and there is our arena in all its glory.
A magical place.
This post makes me a little envious, Would have loved to experience the old ground. At least I got to experienced the old enclosure.

Early 70s vs Hibs.
The scene in Fever Pitch, if related to Ibrox, is very accurate from what I remember.
2.18 in

There was nothing like the buzz on the Friday when ur 13/14, goin to ur bed early for the game on a sat 3 o'clock kick off. Bouncing on the clockwork orange to Ibrox.

I had been to see Killie get promoted at the old stand at Rugby Park at the end of 92/93 and it left zero impression on me other than "i went to a football game" and had watched a few champions league games on TV so my dad took us to Ibrox the next season (1-2 v Killie, for which my brother and I were proclaimed Jinxed) and despite us losing i was in awe of the size of it all. We went back a few weeks later and seen us beat St Johnstone so the jinx was over.

As a few have said, i started to take it for granted. I haven't been as emotional as i was when i arrived for the Spartak game as there was a brief point where i thought we'd never be back and a longer spell where i wouldn't have thought we'd see a European group stage.

Can't wait to one day take my wee lassie to a game, i hope it leaves the same impression on her. She loved seeing the outside of it last year (though she hid when i got her picture taken with Jack and Arfield)

Walking up all the stairs at the old stadium and when you got to the top looking around at this huge arena below me.
Early 60s Loyal.

Now just a few steps up the Govan front and there is our arena in all its glory.
A magical place.
I can remember walking to the old Ibrox back in the 60s,as a kid, as it came in to sight I automatically started walking faster,bursting with excitement, feelings that live with you forever.

In the old days you could go behind whatever goal we were shooting intae, so if it was the Copland road end first half ye'd then walk round to the broomloan end and watch from there.

Nae centenary stand in those days so you'd just go as far as you could.

Early 60s Loyal.

A magical place.
1960 v raith rovers Saturday afternoon 8 years old,at the Ceptic end ,dad lifted me over but reaching the view of the stadium and the crowd was magical for wee boy,but my first night time game,was magical in the enclosure,smell of fags,pies and bovril and the wee invalid cars all round the perimeter of the pitch,so funny us the Apicellas,the docherty's,wuillie Murphy no one ever mentioned our second names,so many memories of Ibrox,sadly most of them all passed on WATP

In the old days you could go behind whatever goal we were shooting intae, so if it was the Copland road end first half ye'd then walk round to the broomloan end and watch from there.

Nae centenary stand in those days so you'd just go as far as you could.
I remember doing that ,dad always said we will walk round and see the goals go in ,in the second half,!thanks mate I had a guy arguing with me that ,that ,was pish good on you!

BJllcXS.jpg

Strangely I remember coming out of the stadium for the 1st time really clearly, jumping up as high as I could to touch the lintel.
I still do it, but haven't had to jump for a long long time :D

I dont remember my first time being in it but I do remember the feeling of excitement as a child of walking up the steps and getting the first sight of the whole stadium and pitch. The sheer size and brightness of the pitch always used to take my breath away.

It was way back in the 60's and we beat Thistle 4-0 or 4-1 and now I have my seat in the SJ front in the approximate area of the old terracing where me and classmates used to meet in side ground.
Also remember taking my youngest son to get a junior

Lifted over the turnstile. Is what I remember. My old man, uncle and cousin.

Taken to the Derry before the centenary stand. Me and the cousin left down the front told not to move till they came down to get us. Old man and uncle up into the terrace with brown bag from haddows in copland rd.

i remember my first game v Juventus in 1978 as an 11 year old being totally dumbstruck at the amount of people , the noise , even the floodlights , it was like another world . 42 years later and i still get the same buzz when i go to Ibrox that i got as an 11 year old . It really is the greatest sight ever seen

Early 60s Loyal.

A magical place.
Good post, mate. We must be about the same age.

When my auld man took me (early to mid 60s) on a Saturday we always went to the enclosure. Sure, I loved it and thought it was the best thing ever. However, the first time I went with my uncle and his pals was different. They always went to the Copland end and stood as close to the top as they could. The difference in perspective, to me as a 9 year old, was amazing. First the long walk up the stairway and then 'coming over the top' and seeing a packed Ibrox under floodlights?

Compared to the enclosure it was like being at a different stadium.

My wee ones 12 weeks old, can't wait to take him for the first time! Show him where he'll be playing in the future

Good post, mate. We must be about the same age.

When my auld man took me (early to mid 60s) on a Saturday we always went to the enclosure. Sure, I loved it and thought it was the best thing ever. However, the first time I went with my uncle and his pals was different. They always went to the Copland end and stood as close to the top as they could. The difference in perspective, to me as a 9 year old, was amazing. First the long walk up the stairway and then 'coming over the top' and seeing a packed Ibrox under floodlights?

Compared to the enclosure it was like being at a different stadium.
Exactly how I remember it with my oldest brother and his mates.

Couldn't get to games when younger as parents against it, but for my 16th birthday my brother got me PSV tickets (Advocatt years) what a game that was. Copland Road too, it was an explosion of colour and raw energy that hooked me. Fell away from it during the McLeish years, though picked it back up during the journey via McCoist, Warbuton, Pedro and now Stevie G. The greatest feeling was immersing my son and nephew into the family. Also love a tour now and then, chat is top notch from the tour guide fellas.

I still have a vivid memory of my first visit as a 9-year-old in October 1986 in a UEFA cup tie. My father got tickets for the Govan Rear brown section. The most vivid memory is when I walked up the stairs from the concourse and saw the pitch for the first time. 34 years have passed and I can still clearly remember the excitement that I felt.

Couldn't get to games when younger as parents against it, but for my 16th birthday my brother got me PSV tickets (Advocatt years) what a game that was. Copland Road too, it was an explosion of colour and raw energy that hooked me. Fell away from it during the McLeish years, though picked it back up during the journey via McCoist, Warbuton, Pedro and now Stevie G. The greatest feeling was immersing my son and nephew into the family. Also love a tour now and then, chat is top notch from the tour guide fellas.
You picked a good one as a first game. That was an incredible night.

I played so much footy when I was younger that my first trip was supposed to be a stadium tour with my boys club. I was ecstatic.

We were on our way on the bus when our manager hit us with the news that we had a problem and we were going to the Piggery instead. Now I was fucking raging.

I went in with the team with my face tripping me and I was one sour, bitter little git for probably about a fortnight.

Eventually my old boy had enough and took me to see us play Dundee despite him not even liking football. We were shite but I loved every second of it.

It still pisses me off that I went to that shitehole before I got to Ibrox though. I am in my 50s.

That year big DJ was presenting our player of the year awards. I still have that photo of me and him up on the wall. It has followed me around wherever I have gone. He was, is and always will be my favourite Bear.

Still remember my first visit well and will always stay with me.

I was about 11, old man got us tickets for Dundee Utd at home and I insisted on wearing my training jumper even though it was about 10 sizes too big!!! It was back in the day when the players parked across the road at the school and walked in the front door. I met Walter, Ally, Hateley etc and was a dream come true seeing me heroes.

Walking from the concourse up the stairs into my seat was undescribable though, the brightness of the pitch, the noise and the atmosphere is a memory I will never forget and staring up at my old man smiling to which he said well son this is it, welcome to Ibrox!!

I cannot wait to repeat this with our recent new baby in the coming years even if her maw says you aren't taking our daughter to sit at Ibrox...we will see about that pal!!

Back