The 55 season totall adds up

And the following season? Malmo? League?
Covid hit start to the season, Covid only seems to count when ‘Rangers fans’ are defending celtc blowing their 10.

Gerrard left us for Villa, he left us top of the league, replaced by a manager who couldn’t quite get to grips with Scottish football.
You carry on with the mentally challenged line though.

Celtic being managed by an absolute incompetent in Neil Lennon vs someone more competent in Rodgers probably helped a lot too. In short, it's a complex thing that simple people can reduce down to one understandable soundbite they can regurgitate because dealing in simple is what they are capable of.

Lennon who has won a treble with Celtic and numerous other titles?

Listen to Defoe's interview from that season. He said when they came back for pre season there was a different hunger and mentality in the squad...that was absolutely nothing to do with covid or Celtic imploding.

Covid hit start to the season, Covid only seems to count when ‘Rangers fans’ are defending celtc blowing their 10.

Gerrard left us for Villa, he left us top of the league, replaced by a manager who couldn’t quite get to grips with Scottish football.

Yeah how very dare we mention that our players have a mentality issue simply because that lot can also see it. Let's keep making excuses for them and just suck up another sudden inexplicable collapse in form.

Lennon who has won a treble with Celtic and numerous other titles?

Listen to Defoe's interview from that season. He said when they came back for pre season there was a different hunger and mentality in the squad...that was absolutely nothing to do with covid or Celtic imploding.
Aye he's a managerial genius. They could've put me in charge and they'd still have won things without a strong Rangers in the league with their spending advantage.

Yeah how very dare we mention that our players have a mentality issue simply because that lot can also see it. Let's keep making excuses for them and just suck up another sudden inexplicable collapse in form.
Our players with the most appearances this year have played 8 more games than them due to Europe and cup runs panning out as they have. Do you think the team having to play 8 extra games is as ready for the run in as the one that hasn't?

Our success came from players that kept total control of the game in midfield and that was completely ruined by bringing in someone like Lundstram that didn't suit it. Throw in some of them wanting to move on, it ended like it ended. The recruitment in replacing them has been dire. That doesn't come down to player mentality.

It’s hard to argue against a lot of this stuff now.

“They won because of no crowds” etc
Not saying it’s the reason, but it helped.
I always thought this was nonsense. History is ne telling us otherwise.

You're right we could play 100 extra games a year and expect to win. Or do you cut it off at 15/20?

I never expected to win it. I expected not to collapse and drop points against bottom 6 teams and fecking Dundee. I assume that's ok with you, the extra 8 games would impact any team's ability to pass 5 yards etc.

Are we allowed to say it was because of Covid without being called a tim now ?

Clearly, we aren't yet going by some of the posts so far, but it is obvious now more than ever, but truthfully it was obvious back then too. People on FF were just too proud or too staunch to want to admit it. Even Clement gave a hint after the Ross County game when asked what had gone wrong..."we weren't communicating"!!! Anyone who knows football can make the connection. In the Covid season with zero fans, you could hear the players fart on the park, never mind their communication and that season we stopped losing the stupid goals because everything was clearly heard and instinctive laziness was replaced by clear instruction. That and no fans meant no panic, which meant we could keep to the pattern for all 90 minutes.

At the end of the day, I will always be grateful for 55, but until we have a squad that can cope with the expectation of Rangers fans when the chips are down and play while being harassed by a midfield three of tiny men with huge hearts like last night, we won't dominate Scottish football again...and that reality hurts like hell.

I never expected to win it. I expected not to collapse and drop points against bottom 6 teams and fecking Dundee. I assume that's ok with you, the extra 8 games would impact any team's ability to pass 5 yards etc.
If it's the same people doing it they are going to experience fatigue/tiredness. It seems a fairly easy thing to grasp.

Never read so much nonsense in all my life. This place is a zoo ffs. Look at the squad back then and look at it now. Deary me.

Look at it the year before, where we were before the break and where we were 2 months after it. Or the year after, where we were (at home to Malmo) and what happened (they still put us out) or in the league (top) and where we ended up (miles behind).

You questioned why we didn’t win the league in Gerrards previous seasons, I told you the squad wasn’t good enough, it took till season 3 till we were strong enough and the rest is history.

Look at it the year before, where we were before the break and where we were 2 months after it. Or the year after, where we were (at home to Malmo) and what happened (they still put us out) or in the league (top) and where we ended up (miles behind).
We brought in Hagi, Bassey, Mclaughlin, Defoe, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, Zungu, Simpson and Wright who took a squad that wasn't quite there over the line. We then got our next transfer window badly wrong and failed to replace our best players with better. They spent the best part of £30 million to overtake us, but if it helps you just say FFS Tav and sound like the people who hate us.

Aye he's a managerial genius. They could've put me in charge and they'd still have won things without a strong Rangers in the league with their spending advantage.

Don't think anyone said that?

He won trophies with Celtic before we got put to division 3. A league title and a Scottish Cup I believe.

You questioned why we didn’t win the league in Gerrards previous seasons, I told you the squad wasn’t good enough, it took till season 3 till we were strong enough and the rest is history.

"The rest" includes failing in the CL qualifier the following season and collapsing in the league, that is exactly the history that is an issue here. And the team continues to make that history.

You are acting as if transfer windows are not a thing. We were the best team in the league that season, period. Best players, best squad, best manager. We got it right for once. We have been a shit show since.

The EL run was outstanding & the players potentially seen it as a free hit, we were not expected to go as far as we did.

Domestically Rangers are expected as you well know to win every game regardless. That’s a different type of pressure compared to European football & our players always seem to crack under that pressure.

Every player should know what they’re walking into when signing for us however too many seem to accept 2nd best & it’s not on.

Pressure yes. My response was about the absence of fans and pressure fans bring. You don't get results in intimidating atmosphere around Europe but panic at Fir Park.

The pressure to win.the games- absolutely different from Europe.

The idea that no fans helped because we can't play in front of crowds? Insane.

I'm not sure you're grasping that we will also be playing an extra game here.

Mate it's 8 games that not every player has played. It's not a sufficient excuse for what we saw the last two games, if it is for you then we'll never see eye to eye.

Can I reiterate that I believe mentality is one element, not the only one. Of course there are other things to point to but 55 is a clear outlier and there was a massive obvious difference in that season that some want to dismiss for whatever reason.

Mate it's 8 games that not every player has played. It's not a sufficient excuse for what we saw the last two games, if it is for you then we'll never see eye to eye.

Can I reiterate that I believe mentality is one element, not the only one. Of course there are other things to point to but 55 is a clear outlier and there was a massive obvious difference in that season that some want to dismiss for whatever reason.
I agree if that massive, obvious difference is us having better players.

55 itself cost us nothing, it actually provided a great opportunity to built further and progress.

The failure to capture that moment its what has slowly led us to where we are now.
55 cost us nothing?

Didn't we front load the following season's transfer kitty because of COVID? Leaving us literally potless for the season after 55?

It quote clearly cost a great deal.

You are acting as if transfer windows are not a thing. We were the best team in the league that season, period. Best players, best squad, best manager. We got it right for once. We have been a shit show since.

You are acting as if a collective squad collapse in form seen several times is explainable in transfer windows that happened before or after said collapses. It doesn't make any sense

Better players than Dundee and RC and Motherwell? Unlike now, you're suggesting we have worse players than those teams? That our players don't have the ability to string 2 or 3 passes together?
Confidence and form are massive things in football. Celtic went on a similar run to us, but their fans aren't completely shell-shocked and defeatist like ours are.

Well some of them are.

You're acting if the same thing applies across about 6 years with a lot of different players and coaches.

Yes, I am. Because there is a common pattern and very obvious repeat of form collapse. And because I know that mentality comes from the leadership down, and lo and behold the leadership group are the ones who are there at every turn.

Yes, I am. Because there is a common pattern and very obvious repeat of form collapse. And because I know that mentality comes from the leadership down, and lo and behold the leadership group are the ones who are there at every turn.
Confidence is mentality. Tell me how our confidence disappeared this season, what caused it?
The same guys who make themselves available every week get tired, their form dips because they aren't actually superhuman and people like you blame them for all our issues when it's the rest of the squad letting them down. Also our opponents are capable of comfortably out spending us which you know helps.

The same guys who make themselves available every week get tired, their form dips because they aren't actually superhuman and people like you blame them for all our issues when it's the rest of the squad letting them down. Also our opponents are capable of comfortably out spending us which you know helps.

Our opponents last night out spent us? Our opponents at the weekend outspent us?

Well done to them for being available for their 30k a week I mean ffs.

100% :))

Try debating without resorting to that sort of nonsense or just don't bother, I'd suggest.
I'm not sure how much I can really invest when I've already offered a fairly decent explanation for why our team are struggling at the minute and it being due to fatigue and too many players playing too often because of squad depth and generally poor recruitment. Celtic outspend us and should therefore finish first. Celtic also recruit poorly at times, but they're able to buy more players more often for a higher amount and take more hits on the ones they get wrong due to their superior financial position. This was reversed in the 90s and we cleared up. We outspend everyone else and finish second, a dynamic you can apply to almost every league give or take exceptions but broadly speaking that's how it goes. Man City occasionally lose to someone like Burnley but over the course of a season they'll finish first or thereabouts by failing less often to win than those below them. Liverpool likewise win a lot, but they'll falter more often causing City to have more points. Again none of this is hard to understand and it applies to us just as much as it applies to every other club and league in that world.

I'm not sure how much I can really invest when I've already offered a fairly decent explanation for why our team are struggling at the minute and it being due to fatigue and too many players playing too often because of squad depth and generally poor recruitment. Celtic outspend us and should therefore finish first. Celtic also recruit poorly at times, but they're able to buy more players more often for a higher amount and take more hits on the ones they get wrong due to their superior financial position. This was reversed in the 90s and we cleared up. We outspend everyone else and finish second, a dynamic you can apply to almost every league give or take exceptions but broadly speaking that's how it goes. Man City occasionally lose to someone like Burnley but over the course of a season they'll finish first or thereabouts by failing less often to win than those below them. Liverpool likewise win a lot, but they'll falter more often causing City to have more points. Again none of this is hard to understand and it applies to us just as much as it applies to every other club and league in that world.

All of your points there are completely valid. I just don't think it answers why the squad (the whole squad) have gone from how they were performing to how they are now. Form can change over a season but ours falls off a cliff suddenly. And I don't think it explains the same pattern these last 5 years with 55 the notable exception. We can disagree because it's all opinions.

City, Liverpool, everyone goes through a bad game or even a bad couple of games. We let it affect us more than those teams do, more than any team should imo. Mentality.

It Celtic hadn’t collapsed we wouldn’t have won it. Any kind of challenge and we would have shat the bed.

It’s hard to argue against a lot of this stuff now.

“They won because of no crowds” etc
Not saying it’s the reason, but it helped.
Its total pish mate that was an excuse for the filth killing Terry Munro. Same as the Serial Loser talk, same thing - Straight from the mouth of Timbo

I'm not going to slag off a team/squad who gave us only our second unbeaten league season in our history. I'm not buying into the no crowds argument either.

For me it's the overall squad mentality that has to be questioned.,

In January, 1965, I think it was the journalist John Fairgrieve, talking about us and them, said it isn't even a race.

Then the stars aligned for the filth. Stein came to them in the March and they won their first SC in 12 years. In the May, Baxter, their arch nemesis, their bogeyman and tormentor in chief was away to Sunderland.

But the thing is, winning that SC in 65 was crucial, it gave them a taste of winning and they embraced it and wanted more of the same.

You get the feeling for our lot winning 55 and getting to a European final was journey's end.

I've said it before, after Seville there were posts on here from Frankfurt fans praising our players for all wearing their runners up medals after the cup was handed out to the winners.

That sums this present squad up. Losers.

Right after winning 55 SG was on sky with Boydy and Ally.He stated he had been promised he would be allowed to strengthen the squad.Those promises were broken,we are now paying for those broken promises.

This in a nutshell. Douglas Park becoming chairman was a bad thing. Refusing Gerrard funds and telling him he could leave if he wasn’t happy severely hampered continuing domestic success.

If that hadn’t happened the reality is that the unwashed are going for “13 in a Row” now if I am not wrong.
That unfortunate statistic just screams absolute dominance and it’s absolutely sickening. I know we have had our troubles but even excluding that taking it from the start of the Gerrard tenure it would still be around “7 in a Row” how on earth do we break this cycle without a massive cash injection ?
The problem is even if we were to get close enough to really bother them over a sustained period they have the excess funds there to go and spend their way out of sight.

Back