The Atlantic League

Coza

Was thinking about this in the wake of three times European winners Feyenoord complaining about a lack of financial resources to compete and I had a relative eureka moment in how to address all the issues/problems. Or at least the issues I had always had with the set up.

Firstly I think you would need a strong foundation of 10 leagues each providing four teams. Top of my head I’m thinking Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Turkey ; but obviously it would be dependent on FA interest per country and logistics.

That provides two leagues of 20 teams that would replace each teams domestic league fixtures. There would be promotion and relegation through these two leagues as per usual 3 up 3 down. That’s 38domestic’ league fixtures each.

Domestic Cups:
National cup competitions would be standardised where all participants of the Atlantic League enter from the last 32 teams onwards. Associations would be free to have whatever format they wanted up to that stage so the current SFA early groups etc could still stand. But once 28 teams are left the four Atlantic League teams join and replays/format and dates are standardised over all 10 associations.

European Competition:
European competition places would exist as is with the places rewarded based on where the countries teams finish in the 40 team set up. Any countries with additional European places would then have this filter down to their domestic league. Say Scotland had 5 places then whoever wins the Scottish league minus our 4 Atlantic League participants takes this as their prize. Naturally countries with less than 4 get rewarded to the highest Atlantic League finishers. Places given for Domestic Cup wins ceases for all 10 associations.

Pyramid Structure:
One issue that’s has always dogged the idea has been the inability to deal with promotion and relegation from the remaining domestic leagues into the Atlantic League in a way that is fair and ensures a natural pyramid structure remains over all 10 associations. This is why each association has strictly 4 participants and will never have more/less. At the end of each season the bottom placed team of all associations in the Atlantic League format will play a two-legged game versus the top placed finisher in their associations remaining league. In theory there could be as much as 0-10 new entrants every year. Also, for example, the 4th placed overall team in the Atlantic League if 3 clubs from same country are above them ( say Holland teams were dominant and filled positions 1-4) would still have to go into the play-off game like all other associations. The winner of the play-off simply slots into the position of the team they replace for the start of the new season.

Thoughts? Would/could this work?

In my head the relative simplicity and strict basic rules of the proposal address the European and structure issues that I have always felt hindered any suggested set up.

Can’t see how this league would be credible if the fourth placed team in the league could theoretically be relegated.

To me, the ideal way of doing this is to just create a European competition without the big five leagues. Keep national leagues as they are, but give us a European competition that is exciting and that we have a shot of winning.

They definitely need to do something because all these leagues are being left behind by the big leagues and i would love to get out of the scottish league ,cant see UEFA allowing it though but its a nice thought

Can’t see how this league would be credible if the fourth placed team in the league could theoretically be relegated.

To me, the ideal way of doing this is to just create a European competition without the big five leagues. Keep national leagues as they are, but give us a European competition that is exciting and that we have a shot of winning.

Totally get that but if you finish fourth in the Atlantic league you aren’t losing a two legged play off versus the best of the rest domestically are you?

The structure is totally tilted in the favour of the teams who are settled in the Atlantic League without totally closing off participation to other clubs in the domestic game.

Would love to see something like that happen.

I hate the cesspit that is Scottish football, but i would far prefer we stay where we are compared to (even if it was possible) trying to do something down south.

Let the ‘big’ clubs get on with their CL thing and let the rest of us get on with something far more meaningful

In what way? Financially?

Yeah but most of all their supporters would lose interest in their club, plenty of other sports or things to spend your money on than some sort of friendly competition that you are never going to win. Even coming midtable and having a decent season so what. It would empty grounds in Sweden, Denmark,Portugal, possibly even our ground as fans will miss domestic success and playing rival clubs from Edinburgh, Aberdeen and the derby games.

The reason its never happened, doubt it ever will, is probably because this is the only place where people believe its a great idea.

Ajax are often one of the teams people include as part of it... Ajax should have been in the CL final why would even one Ajax fan be interested in this competition ?

Pyramid Structure:
One issue that’s has always dogged the idea has been the inability to deal with promotion and relegation from the remaining domestic leagues into the Atlantic League in a way that is fair and ensures a natural pyramid structure remains over all 10 associations. This is why each association has strictly 4 participants and will never have more/less. At the end of each season the bottom placed team of all associations in the Atlantic League format will play a two-legged game versus the top placed finisher in their associations remaining league. In theory there could be as much as 0-10 new entrants every year. Also, for example, the 4th placed overall team in the Atlantic League if 3 clubs from same country are above them ( say Holland teams were dominant and filled positions 1-4) would still have to go into the play-off game like all other associations. The winner of the play-off simply slots into the position of the team they replace for the start of the new season.

Thoughts? Would/could this work?

In my head the relative simplicity and strict basic rules of the proposal address the European and structure issues that I have always felt hindered any suggested set up.

Closed shop (at least for sayfor 4 seasons.) No change in which teams from each country take part. You already have promotion and relegation from atlantic leagues 1 and 2 in that model.

So you look after the bigger teams in the leagues, giving them more competition and money while the domestic leagues suffer? Doesn’t seem right.

It's a sensible idea in principle but you can't pick leagues to participate arbitrarily, eg why would you have the Czech league and not the Poles, Turks but not Greeks, etc? So it would be better to have a structure covering all leagues in Europe outside the top 5-6 countries, which would then be organised into regional groupings. The Atlantic League would effectively be the North-West group or something like that. The top 5-6 leagues - England, Germany, Spain, etc - would continue as normal.

Ultimately the big clubs in the top leagues would probably break away to form a superleague so you could have a situation where the new regional leagues were the second tier with playoffs to get in/out the superleague at the end of each season, and then further playoffs back down to the national leagues as the OP has outlined.

But as far as the pyramid goes I don't think it's fair to use the bottom team from each country regardless of league position. I think it would be better to put the bottom 3/4 clubs in the Atlantic league into playoffs with the national champions from all the feeder countries. Yes there would be uneven country representation but that is the logical outcome of a competitive pyramid and it would be preferable to have that rather than a closed shop.

Ajax are often one of the teams people include as part of it... Ajax should have been in the CL final why would even one Ajax fan be interested in this competition ?

Ajax have just had to sell half the team that got to the CL semis because despite the Euro success, they can't compete financially with clubs from bigger countries.

At the same time, the money Ajax will have made from the CL run + selling players will now give them an almost guaranteed advantage in the Dutch league, making it impossible for other clubs eg Feyenoord to compete with them. And so the cycle continues.

So you look after the bigger teams in the leagues, giving them more competition and money while the domestic leagues suffer? Doesn’t seem right.

Scotland could do with the possibility of anyone outside of 2 teams winning the league.

Ajax have just had to sell half the team that got to the CL semis because despite the Euro success, they can't compete financially with clubs from bigger countries.

At the same time, the money Ajax will have made from the CL run + selling players will now give them an almost guaranteed advantage in the Dutch league, making it impossible for other clubs eg Feyenoord to compete with them. And so the cycle continues.

And the atlantic league will solve this issue.

I can totally understand why fans are annoyed but i dont see how an atlantic league helps in anyway if anything it would cause far more problems. The players wont be worth the same amount of money and i doubt the best ones(or maybe even the worst) would want any part in it in the first place. My guess is an atlantic league wouldnt last the season it just seems such a crazy and quite reckless idea and what happens if it folds, we could end up with no league to play in.

And could be wrong but do PSV not have a good chance of the Dutch title ?

I was of the mind around 10 years ago that this could come to fruition about 2016 ,well hoped anyway.
It was muted that with an estimated 40-50 million catchment area it would become the third biggest league in Europe ,with over 30,000 average per game.
I have said in the past ;the clubs mentioned do not need UEFA ,but UEFA need the clubs.

I can see the big European clubs (top English, Spanish etc) creating their own breakaway at some point. With games bring played in the US, India, Middle East etc

Back