The best Rangers goal scored against Hearts?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
A not very good Rangers team in a meaningless end of season 4-0 win over Hearts at Ibrox in May 1981, the league had long since been lost.
We did have a Scottish Cup final ahead though, and this performance gave us some hope we would win it.

We did.

There's a couple of very good goals in here, I'm sure Bud Johnston meant the 4th one, but no doubt the goal of the game.
Our second goal that day was one worthy of winning most Goal of the Season competitions, and it might just be the best goal I've ever seen us score against the Tynecastle team.

Tommy McLean's backheel pass was sublime, but Bobby Russell's skill and finish was jaw dropping.

Shame so few of us were there to see it.

Has there been any better?

Unsure about the best but the one I've celebrated the most for the sheer occasion of it was Naismith's winner in about 5-minutes of injury time at Tynecastle.

I'm sure we were 1-0 down at half-time that day and playing utter shite but somehow left with the 3-points.

Another on a par with that was the opener (think it was Ronald De Boer late on) we went on to win 2-0 there when it looked destined to be a 0-0 which set us up for winning the league on goal difference a week or two later against Dunfermline.
I was at the de Boer game.

A not very good Rangers team in a meaningless end of season 4-0 win over Hearts at Ibrox in May 1981, the league had long since been lost.
We did have a Scottish Cup final ahead though, and this performance gave us some hope we would win it.

We did.

There's a couple of very good goals in here, I'm sure Bud Johnston meant the 4th one, but no doubt the goal of the game.
Our second goal that day was one worthy of winning most Goal of the Season competitions, and it might just be the best goal I've ever seen us score against the Tynecastle team.

Tommy McLean's backheel pass was sublime, but Bobby Russell's skill and finish was jaw dropping.

Check out the crowd.

Andy Penman way back in 68.
Bent a free kick round the wall into the net.
Cruickshank never moved, you could see him talking to a photographer after it, shaking his head as if he was saying wow.
Auld yin and I were in Broomloan end right behind the goal.
Never seen a ball bent round a wall so much back then.
2-0 To the Rangers.

We did.

Cooper at Tynecastle.

We did.

I was there!

Negri chip at Ibrox in 97/98
Laudrup chip at Tynecsstlle 94/95
Arveladze long ranger at Tynecastle 2003/04
Hateley looping header at Tynecastle 1992/93

We did.

Davie Cooper v Hearts 1986 Tynecastle
End thread

We did.

My birthday albeit I was born 91.

I think it was under 15s. They played half way line penalties at half time. He was excellent even then.
Wow, nice stat! I was at the game as a 13 year old and couldn't have told you that. I also have the (or a) match ball from the game that was launched into the stand at full time.

Big DJ scored a cracker at Tynecastle, left footer from outside the box over the keeper. Possibly 79 or 80ish

Negri chip at Ibrox in 97/98
Laudrup chip at Tynecsstlle 94/95
Arveladze long ranger at Tynecastle 2003/04
Hateley looping header at Tynecastle 1992/93
I like these threads and love reading the replies but my memory is shot however I do remember Negri lobbing the Dundee Utd keeper at Ibrox and Laudrup lobbing a sheepkeeper at pittodrie around these times. Great goals.

Orjan Persson overhead screamer 1968,
described as one the greatest goals ever seen in Scottish Footbal
Certainly one of the greatest I’ve ever seen.
Standing behind the goalposts at the Broomloan end, the ball seemed to curve round the entire18 yard box before giving Jim Cruickshank no chance of saving it.

Unfortunately this Scottish Cup quarter final ended in a 1-1 draw and we lost to an 86th minute Donald Ford goal in the replay at Tynecastle in front of over 44,000.

Trying to get to Tynecastle that Wednesday evening in March 1968 for the replay was an absolute nightmare as there was a rail strike.
For the supporters bus I was travelling on, the John Greig Loyal, which ran from the Viking Bar in Maryhill, the queue to get on the bus was down Ruchill Street and round the corner into Maryhill Road. The vast majority had absolutely no chance of squeezing onto the bus that night but they still queued in hope :(

Last edited:
Back