The best rangers team I’ve watched.

For sheer determination and having brought in 3 players for under 2 million.
I am going for the 86/87 team.
Never say die and to come and win the league against the strongest teams the league had seen was amazing.

It's a close call between advocaats first 2 seasons and this team now. Both brilliant to watch, but financially what Stevie G has had to spend over advocaat and the state of play when Stevie G took over the club, I think I'd go for this team. I also think there is more to come from this team in the next 2/3 years.

As a team we have made great strides this year, we have a coherent game plan, and a real determination and togetherness.

But I dunno about better football than Advocaat’s team. Remember we had Klos, Numan, Amo, Ferguson, Gio, Albertz, McCann, Kanchelskis, Mols, Reyna, Tugay, to name just a few. We went toe to toe with some good Champions League teams, such as Bayern Munich.

It would be a hell of a game, but I think Advocaat’s team at its peak would just edge it.

Walter’s team at its best would probably still lose out in the possession stats and attractiveness and coherence of play, but it would take a brave Rangers fan to bet against McCoist, Hateley, McCall, Laudrup, Gazza, Durrant, Gough and Goram.

I get we’ve had world class players over the years. And we all know how they are. We’ve also made a euro final. But, for me, this is the best team we have had in my life time. (I’m 39).

a collection of really talented players, a fantastic team ethic and brought together by a great management team.

So enjoyable watching them
The Rangers team of 1960-61 won the league and made a Euro Final. Baxter and co. My Dad's era.
92/93 won a treble and almost got to a Euro Final. Those might be the best Rangers teams.
But I love this current team. From where we came from recently, it's the most impressive I've seen since I've watched since I started going to games in 1980

I watched the video on here a few days ago of our game against Bayern in 99. They were a top team that won and got to finals of Champions League around then, but we took complete control of the game and bar bad luck and some terrible finishing we would have battered them. I am loving our current European run but i don’t think our exploits in Europa can compare to that team competing against the best in Champions League.
Was coming on to say the same, in Advocatts reign we competed with Europe’s best and beat a very strong Parma team. Had it not been for the Mols injury against Bayern Munich I feel we could have gone very far in 1999

I get we’ve had world class players over the years. And we all know how they are. We’ve also made a euro final. But, for me, this is the best team we have had in my life time. (I’m 39).

a collection of really talented players, a fantastic team ethic and brought together by a great management team.

It’s the best since 1992/93 . I

I wonder what Gerrard could do with the budget both of them had.
Problem being there's a ceiling on the quality of player we can attract, even with Gerrard as manager.
I watched the video on here a few days ago of our game against Bayern in 99. They were a top team that won and got to finals of Champions League around then, but we took complete control of the game and bar bad luck and some terrible finishing we would have battered them. I am loving our current European run but i don’t think our exploits in Europa can compare to that team competing against the best in Champions League.
That team remains the best Rangers side I've watched in 54 years of following the club.

They are brilliant to watch.

Every game I know I'm going to see bits of absolute brilliance.

It's great being so far ahead in the league as well... It makes it a lot easier to enjoy games when we're only up by one.

Best coached Rangers Team I’ve seen, they have a real identity and common purpose despite some of the parts being interchangeable. I can’t remember a Rangers team where so many have made significant contribution, Gerrard probably has 16 or 17 players he completely trusts. if Morelos isn’t on it, Kent is, or HagI or Roofe, or Itten or Aribo or Goldson or the full backs or Arfield it really is incredible.

If they can have some glory nights in Champions League next season such as Advocaat did against likes of Parma and PSV then I’d say defo best Rangers team Ive ever seen.

Best coached Rangers team in my time of watching since around the mid 80s. We have had more quality in the squad before but this a proper team.

Coaching at this level of effectiveness is not the norm, and it’s easy to forget what it looks like when you’ve not seen it for a long period. Domestic success in Scotland can arrive under bad coaching because of the advantages of squad quality we can achieve.

However we can remind ourselves in the future what good coaching looks like by comparing with what’s happening now. Look at the players in the squad and ask yourself are they punching above their weight in Europe - or below it? ..... some of our successful domestic teams were badly coached. However Europe really shows the truth.

Agree completely.

We’ve had many teams with better individual players. That goes without saying. We’ve even had teams with a great many individually superb players.

However, this lot are a team. A complete unit.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I never thought one man could ruin a team but Konterman proved me wrong.
To be fair to Bert, I think Advocaat's management style was creating friction within the squad by that time too.
And it pains me to say it given what happened to him, but Ricksen was the other signing who ruined the back 4 we had.
He improved later, though, whereas Bert was just terrible, bar one obvious moment.

This has been a good and interesting thread. We're actually discussing how our present team compares with very good teams from our past. All views are rightly subjective. We all agree on one thing, though - we're playing scintillating football for the first time in a decade. Our club is in rude health. And in very good hands. It's a great time to be a bear. Enjoy it!

The comparisons between Advocaat's second season team and this season's team are valid. I think the 1999/2000 team probably had a higher standard of individual player, but I reckon this season's team are a more cohesive group.

These two seasons' teams stand out to me as playing the best football I have seen from a Rangers team (I can go back to the early 80s). What they have in common is that they are two extremely well coached teams whose individual players became better through that good coaching.

I'm starting to come to that same compulsion being the exact same age. Walters time was magnificent, Advocaat era some real quality players. But not the level of tactical awareness, intelligence and sheer levels to knock up a gear when and if required.

Im soaking it all up just now, the memories; you need to its the best part of it.

This is the type of team I have dreamed of at Rangers, no big names, all work hard, we have a shape to defend and an attack that has pace and touch to go with goals.
I always admired the Ajax 3-4-3 and the Kiev team of Rebrov and Shevchenko (4-4-2, but more 4-4-1-1.) none of the players were big names until they played deep into Europe, but they knew where each other were, they defended from the front, and played like a unit. We do all of that now. We break from our own box straight towards theirs. A jot to watch.
Rebrov and Shev were something else mate.

Reactions: TQ3
Rebrov and Shev were something else mate.
The Kent goal reminded me of that Kiev team. We played a triangle at the back between Glen, Davis and Goldson then back to Glen, he passes to Hagi and we are off. Hagi spins 2 then feeds the Buff and we all know the rest. Scintillating play. They couldn’t keep up with the pace of the break, or our movement and passing. And our passing was pinpoint at pace. Exactly the sort of goals that Kiev team would score.

Problem being there's a ceiling on the quality of player we can attract, even with Gerrard as manager.
That team remains the best Rangers side I've watched in 54 years of following the club.
I was in Munich that night and we destroyed them, Mols was unplayable before having to go off, we just couldn't put one away.

The Kent goal reminded me of that Kiev team. We played a triangle at the back between Glen, Davis and Goldson then back to Glen, he passes to Hagi and we are off. Hagi spins 2 then feeds the Buff and we all know the rest. Scintillating play. They couldn’t keep up with the pace of the break, or our movement and passing. And our passing was pinpoint at pace. Exactly the sort of goals that Kiev team would score.
The whole Ukraine team of that time was unbelievable, and your are so right. Some of our play was very reminiscent of that style, the switching of position and interplay being so synchronised it can only have came from both individual talent and team tactical nous being thoroughly developed. Basically how to bamboozle the opposition. Playing a high line so vicious and powerful that its like watching a bird of prey swoop down on some poor field mouse.

Yes I'm drinking lmao B-D

Reactions: TQ3
I never thought one man could ruin a team but Konterman proved me wrong.
To be fair to Bert, I think Advocaat's management style was creating friction within the squad by that time too.
Things started to go wrong that summer with the buys, another 2 dutchmen who werent a patch on the previous buys.
Dick bottled it as when the going gets tough , the Dutch arent the best imo.

Dicks team that beat Stum Graz 5-1 then monaco 1-0 away was the best Rangers team I’ve seen . They were playing at the top table in Europe . That Rangers team had the ability to go a lot further than they did. At the time I thought it was the best midfield in Europe .

We play european football the way it has to be played, this is the best I have seen Rangers play in europe
Was thinking the same. In Europe yes but I find it a really hard watch away in the league. Granted we now spend 89mins trying to break down teams with no ambition other than a nil nil draw. It’s hard to compare as 30 years ago even Dundee Utd would give us a game of football. But in Europe for me yes definitely.

Back